Old 06-09-2009, 04:56 AM   #1
trgeoff
Human being with feelings

Talking Two New Reversi Variants!

Two new Reversi mods to try out!!

Excerpts from the wifight User Guide pasted in below
http://wiki.wifight.com/index.php?n=...fightUserGuide

Reversi Chain Reaction

The rules of Reversi Chain Reaction are identical to Reversi except for one change : Coins that are flipped as per a normal Reversi move can cause further flips as part of that move, if they trap one or more of your opponent's coins, and so on. Thus a normal Reversi-type move can set off a powerful "chain reaction" of flips that spreads across the existing array of coins. These reactions can be especially dramatic later in the game. As yet little is known about the strategy for Reversi Chain Reaction, but from our limited experience so far, there appears to be much overlap with normal Reversi. Reversi Chain Reaction was, to our knowledge, invented by wifight member trgeoff, and coded into wifight reality by Brennan Underwood. It is the second game variant invented by a wifight member, the other being Chess Noai (by Brennan).

Reversi: Play to Lose

The rules of Reversi: Play to Lose are basically the same as for normal Reversi, but instead of trying to maximise the number of your coins, you actually aim to "lose", i.e. end up with fewer coins. The notes below provide a brief outline of the most basic aspects of play (for more see the rules of Reversi, e.g. on Wikipedia). For strategy hints do a Babelfish translation (if necessary) of this French-language page: http://pagesperso-orange.fr/opabinia/reverse.html

PS

Reversi Chain Reaction on a real board

If you want to play Reversi Chain Reaction "over the board" (i.e. with a physical set):

(1) choose a board whose squares are much bigger than the coins
(2) while playing, place a coin, and flip those coins that would be flipped as per a normal reversi move; as you flip each coin place it off-centre, in the corner of its square, to mark its just-flipped-status.
(3) now check if the just-flipped-coins help to trap any more of your opponent's coins, and if so, flip those, and place them off centre in their squares.
(4) repeat step (3) until the "chain reaction" is complete
(5) re-centre all the coins flipped during your move (and make sure all other coins are still centred) prior to your opponent's move

Last edited by trgeoff; 06-09-2009 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Brennan
hey man

Did I mention RCR rocks? I'll try to get the new user guides for these games into client 1.04.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:39 AM   #3
trgeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
Did I mention RCR rocks? I'll try to get the new user guides for these games into client 1.04.
Yeah, I keep getting surprised by it. At first I thought it might end up being just a dumbed-down (but exciting) version of Reversi, but the more I play it, the more individual quirks I notice. One thing is that placing a coin on the notorious 'c" square (square diagonally adjacent to the corner) is not as deadly as in normal game because (1) you can defend the diagonal against atttack more easily and (2) yr opponennt is more prone to mistakenly switch the "c" square coin back to their color (because predicting full extent of reaction is difficult), and thus let you gain the corner. Both Nithya and I have experienced the pointy end of thhis stick.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:33 AM   #4
trgeoff

Here's my post about rcr on Little Golem

http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/forum...m=40&topic=102

"Reversi enthusiasts may be interested in "Reversi Chain Reaction" - a new form of Reversi that I have introduced on the the gaming site, wifight (mostly Palm-based, but also Windows). It was coded up by site developer, Brennan.

It's a simple and logical extension of normal Reversi, so natural in fact that I was surprised to find it does not seem to have been tried before. The only difference is that discs that are flipped as per a normal Reversi move can cause further flips as part of that move, if they now trap one or more of the opponent's discs, and so on. Thus a normal Reversi move can set off a powerful "chain reaction" of flips that spreads across the existing array of discs. These reactions can be especially dramatic later in the game. The record so far for a change in "status" in a single turn is 83 (e.g. from having 21 discs less than the opponent to having 52 more).

I'm no Reversi expert so I have no idea how it compares with the original for advanced play. Likewise we have no advanced players on wifight who can assess it from an expert's point of view. However, it has been very popular since it was introduced, in fact twice as much as the original. It is definitely exciting! It seems to require quite different strategy to normal Reversi, with the edges and corners assuming even greater importance than is usual. There can be quite prolonged battles over the diagonals, with a near-complete diagonal sometimes reversing color many times in alternate moves.

It would be great if a couple of Little Golem Reversi experts could try it out and share their thoughts on it.

Using the link below you can also follow what I think has been my most exciting game to date, with lots of wild and crazy swings, especially from turn 40 or so onwards.

http://wifight.com/games/reversi-rcr...d8c0314d80f64a

Maybe some of LG's mathematicians might also be able to explain something that (surprisingly to me anyway) makes the game possible in the first place: that the final outcome of a chain reaction is independent of the sequence of flipping. In a complicated reaction, in addition to the primary sequence of flipping (i.e. flipping as per a normal Reversi move), there may be secondary, tertiary, etc sequences of flipping. Extensive testing on a physical Reversi board showed that it it does not matter if one completes each order of sequence in turn, or whether one "mixes and matches" them as it were. It is a bit like coloring in an outline drawing - you can start and finish anywhere you want - the picture will still get filled in. In playing the game, predicting the final outcome on a board with many discs might seem tricky at first but it quickly becomes intuitive.

cheers

geoff"