COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 04-16-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
gstuff
Human being with feelings

Default AAX !plugInAlgContextContainsEmptyFields

I'm getting a !plugInAlgContextContainsEmptyFields assertion in ProTools 12.3 dev build.
Anyone else seen this and been able to fix it?
gstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:40 AM   #2
earlevel

That would be a question for the Avid developer's forum, I think—you'd need to know what the assertion means, to start. Yeah, I get it, and ignore it. (But it's just a warning that is unlikely to matter for you. The dev build version that was out when I started my plugin erroneously had this raised to a critical error and would force a quit, but they fixed it in the next build.)
earlevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #3
gstuff

I think its reasonable to ask here if someone has found a fix here for an AAX related problem with iPlug's implementation, no need to go into any detail, or PM is necessary. It's dangerous to assume these types of warnings have no side effects
Old 04-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
earlevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstuff View Post
I think its reasonable to ask here if someone has found a fix here for an AAX related problem with iPlug's implementation, no need to go into any detail, or PM is necessary. It's dangerous to assume these types of warnings have no side effects
I think you misunderstand.

First, I'm assuming, from what you've said so far, that you don't know what it means. That's why I suggested trying the Avid forum. It might be hard to get traction here for a warning returned internally by PT.

Second, I didn't say that I was assuming that this (not "these types"—this) warning has no side effects. I've been told it's not a problem for me by someone at Avid who should know (because I asked him). He only knows that I'm working on effects plugins. I have no details of what the warning implies.

Now, I can't say that it won't be a problem for you. The warning may be more significant for certain types of plugins—which is also why I suggested the developer forum.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #5
gstuff

I know what the problem pertains to, as I checked first on the Avid forum, this is an iPlug implementation detail, hence why it's more likely someone like Oli may have it on his radar. But thanks anyway.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:31 AM   #6
olilarkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstuff View Post
I know what the problem pertains to, as I checked first on the Avid forum, this is an iPlug implementation detail, hence why it's more likely someone like Oli may have it on his radar. But thanks anyway.
yes i am aware of it and need to update WDL-OL on github with a fix. I posted about it on the avid forum.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #7
gstuff

FWIW: The !plugInAlgContextContainsEmptyFields assertion goes away here if I add a PageTable resource, by uncommenting the following line in IPlugAAX_Describe.cpp:
err |= effectDescriptor->AddResourceInfo (AAX_eResourceType_PageTable, PLUG_NAME ".xml" );

Last edited by gstuff; 08-21-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:28 AM   #8
JD Young

Hi gstuff,

Thanks for this update! I ran into the same issue a few days ago. Hopefully this works without unexpected side effects I'll do some testing the coming week.

JD
JD Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:10 AM   #9
JD Young

Hi all,

With respect to the Avid NDA, as this seems to be Iplug specific: in the meantime I tried uncommenting the line like gstuff proposed, but both on PC and Mac the !plugInAlgContextContainsEmptyFields assertion still comes up on loading the IPlugEffect plug-in. Besides that I’m also getting a build error regarding OTHER_CPLUSPLUSFLAGS in resource.h; but only on Mac. It doesn’t seem to find it. If I uncommented it, ’m able to build a debug version of IPlugEffect on Mac, but I get new build errors in the release version.

Is there anybody who can lend a hand? Thanks in advance!

JD
JD Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #10
earlevel

As mentioned in a previous post, I'm not concerned with making the developer warning go away. But for what it's worth, uncommenting that line does not make it go away for me—the same as JD noted. Unlike JD's experience, though, no additional errors popped up in my release build.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #11
stw

I just ran into that issue too. The mentioned workaround doesn't work on my side either...
Somebody got some more info about this because the warning is still persistent in dev build 12.8 which makes me a bit nervous...?
Does it only appear in the dev builds?
stw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:28 AM   #12
earlevel

Like I said long ago, I was told it’s not a problem, and my AAX plug-in has been shipping for nine months on Mac OS and Windows with no reported issues. Don’t sweat it.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:45 AM   #13
stw

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlevel View Post
Like I said long ago, I was told it’s not a problem, and my AAX plug-in has been shipping for nine months on Mac OS and Windows with no reported issues. Don’t sweat it.
Ok, thanks for answering. Will ignore it then.
I guess you've been told in the old avid board, which isn't available for getting infos anymore ?
stw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:19 AM   #14
earlevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stw View Post
Ok, thanks for answering. Will ignore it then.
I guess you've been told in the old avid board, which isn't available for getting infos anymore ?
I was told privately by Avid that it was not a problem. Apparently, it’s just a sanity check that a structure is completely initialized, even if some fields aren’t needed.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:37 AM   #15
gstuff

Resurrecting this thread as I found a fix for this today.

In IPlugAAX_CIPlugParameters.h -> AAX_SIPlugRenderInfo struct, comment out:
AAX_IMIDINode* mOutputNode;
AAX_CTimestamp *mClock;

The error was due to these fields not being set (they aren't referenced either).
See moderator's post in the new Avid dev forum for an instance where this can cause 'bad' problems.

Last edited by gstuff; 08-02-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:53 AM   #16
earlevel

Can be ignored if you're supporting only macOS 10.8 and up (PT 11 and up). Problem with early PT 10.