Old 04-26-2018, 07:21 AM   #1
Metalion
Human being with feelings

Default Album problems

Im working on mixing an album and due to the big difference between the songs ive split the recordingup into seperate projects. Now is there any way as I work through the songs I can easily impart a change ive made in say the drum mix into the other songs? The only way I can think is with fx chains but this seems cumbersome. Any ideas?
Metalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:15 AM   #2
Eliseat

How could this be possible? The only "bridge" between different projects is saving track templates or fx chains to transfer settings from one to another. Everything else would mean, you change something on your drums and save the changes directly to another project, which is - in my opinion - not possible. Because only projects with the same structure would than make sense. But how should Reaper know that? Maybe there are (or will be) ways to do so per (batch) script, but I guess this would be very error-prone because a lot of conditions must be given.

The easiest way to achieve your goal is to open the projects side by side (open new project tab) and copying everything from one to another. I guess this would be more comfortable than saving settings by chance of functionality into other projects directly.

And of course its work. But who said producing an album isn't work?

Good luck.

Greetings from cologne
Elisa
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:19 AM   #3
jrk

That depends - real drums? Or do you have them midified? If the latter, I'm pretty sure it's doable by routing between multiple Reaper instances. So for instance, one could be handling just the drum sounds and routing a drum bus back to the main project instance (which would be sending the drum midi). If all your tunes' projects were routed in this way, any changes you make on the "Drums-only" instance would apply to all.

"Rewire: Reaper"?

Maybe?

I'm sure there's other/better ways. Probably sub-project. It usually is, nowadays.

Last edited by jrk; 04-29-2018 at 08:31 AM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalion View Post
Im working on mixing an album and due to the big difference between the songs ive split the recordingup into seperate projects. Now is there any way as I work through the songs I can easily impart a change ive made in say the drum mix into the other songs? The only way I can think is with fx chains but this seems cumbersome. Any ideas?
You can open multiple projects in multiple tabs and literally cut/paste between them. Cut/paste any elements - audio, automation, plugins, etc
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
clepsydrae

I'm not savvy with subprojects, but could you set up all the tracks as subprojects, just do the leveling and volume automation at that level, and have them output multi-track stems (drums/bass/vox/whatever) to the parent project, then do the compression/eq/etc in the parent project?

I need to play with subprojects more...
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote