Old 11-20-2017, 08:20 PM   #1
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)
Default u-he Repro 5 Beta is Available

Just a thumbs up for any u-he fans here that Repro 5 is now up for beta testing (I guess if you're a u-he fan, you probably already know this). I'll be purchasing this one.

http://www.u-he.com/cms/217-repro-5-public-beta
Old 11-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #2
lolilol1975

Too bad it's only a demo. Unlike Repro-1 alpha, which was actually usable in production, this one adds noise at random times. I wish u-he had left it usable for 1 voice, for instance.

It's not like you can multiply instances of it given how much CPU it uses. This one brings my laptop on its knees even with 1 voice. Haven't tested it on my main PC, but if you don't have one of the latest processors, I say forget it.

The sound is dangerously close to analog.

Last edited by lolilol1975; 11-21-2017 at 02:25 PM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #3
Dannii

Fortunately I do now have a decent processor (i7 7700k). I also have a u-he discount voucher that I'm about to use to purchase this one. Repro 1 & 5 will be one product that includes both synths.

The only u-he synth I don't have is Ace and that is because I have those capabilities covered in hardware with my System 100, SH09 and Moog Voyager.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:35 AM   #4
viscofisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolilol1975 View Post

It's not like you can multiply instances of it given how much CPU it uses. This one brings my laptop on its knees even with 1 voice. Haven't tested it on my main PC, but if you don't have one of the latest processors, I say forget it.
I say don't "forget it" ... instead, if you're interested, then try the demo for yourself ...

I'm still running Reaper on an elderly (at least 8 years old) Intel 2.66GHz Core 2 Quad Q9400 cpu and enjoying the Repro-5 demo at 8 voices (at 256 samples) with only the occasional pop or crackle on the more demanding patches, so it's usable for me albeit only running one or two tracks at a time. I don't mind bouncing synth tracks to audio for something that sounds this good.

ymmv with how it performs on any particular system - but anyone interested really should try the free demo and not be put off nor persuaded until they try it for themselves.

As noted on the dedicated kvr forums thread, the MC (multi core) button on Repro-5 sometimes reduces CPU strain, but sometimes increases it ... which I've also found to be the case, so it's worth trying in both on and off positions for any problematic patch. (This may also be connected with what global setting you have in your DAW for multi-core use).

Quote:
The sound is dangerously close to analog.
It sounds great to me, hard to stop playing - and I'm coming more from an acoustic instruments background and not really a synth anorak. Having said that I've a accumulated few synth VSTis, and over the years I've tried loads of demos.

I'd previously tried the Repro-1 mono synth demo (which is now included in Repro-5) after reading enthusiastic reviews, and after demoing it I was already persuaded even without Repro-5. But I thought I'd reply here to report my opinion on how excellent both sound ... and that I'm running it useably, if not perfectly, on a pre-i7 CPU.
_

p.s. - I'm not connected with Uhe in any way - I wish I was and I might get a freebie ... although (until the end of December) at €105 (minus 15% for completing the survey) I think it's a real bargain.
_

Last edited by viscofisy; 11-21-2017 at 02:40 AM.
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:50 AM   #5
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post
_

p.s. - I'm not connected with Uhe in any way - I wish I was and I might get a freebie ... although (until the end of December) at €105 (minus 15% for completing the survey) I think it's a real bargain.
_
Agreed on all points!
Old 11-27-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
joelsampson

It's a FREE upgrade if you bought Repro-1, which I did. I will buy anything from U-he at their intro pricing. Everything they make is great. Plus good customer support and no hassle installs.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #7
Mordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Fortunately I do now have a decent processor (i7 7700k).
I believe the CPU strain will be noticably lower when the final version arrives as they usually do optimization last.

RePro-5 seems interesting, but I still feel like I haven't squeezed all I can out of their Zebra 2 VSTi. It covers most of the synth-bases I need for the time being.

U-he is great.
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #8
viscofisy

Nice video of a guy playing a hardware Prophet 5 alongside Repro 5 :

(Includes a spot-the-sound-difference while he plays the Prophet 5 both as a standalone and as a controller for Repro 5)

_
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:13 AM   #9
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsampson View Post
It's a FREE upgrade if you bought Repro-1, which I did. I will buy anything from U-he at their intro pricing. Everything they make is great. Plus good customer support and no hassle installs.
Yeah I have DIVA and I love it. And Zebra does pretty much everything you can dream of.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:33 AM   #10
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post
Nice video of a guy playing a hardware Prophet 5 alongside Repro 5 :

....video.....

(Includes a spot-the-sound-difference while he plays the Prophet 5 both as a standalone and as a controller for Repro 5)

_
Very cool video. Great comparison. Any differences between the two are probably more likely to be differences in the recording chain (from the hardware synth to the PC) and component tolerances between the hardware synth in this video and the one u-he modelled Repro 5 on.