Old 11-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
Plarnuvius
Human being with feelings

Default Can't use DSK HQ sounds

The boatload of free ($25) DSK HQ sounds I got won’t play in my KONTAKT 5 player in REAPER.
They only play in demo mode and then shut down.
Did I do something wrong? Is there any other way to play them?
Thanks
Jim Harris
Plarnuvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
DarkStar

Those DSK sounds are not licensed by NI to be playable fully in Kontakt Player. You would need to purchase the full version of Kontakt.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Those DSK sounds are not licensed by NI to be playable fully in Kontakt Player. You would need to purchase the full version of Kontakt.
Looks like Kontakt is on sale right now too, so he could spend only $200 on Kontakt to play his $25 samples!!! NI pissed me off and won't get another penny from me. YMMV!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #4
ivansc

or you could get Sennheiser's "Drum Mic'a" for free and get the upgrade path price, which is what most of us did. Cuts the price way down & from my experience and that of many others Kontakt is worth the entry price even if you never buy a full licenced product for it.

I have three or four paid libraries but the vast majority of my Kontakt instruments are third party and the majority of them were either fee or dead cheap.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
Plarnuvius

Default upgrade price for KONTAKT?

Wow - DSK did not make it clear that I needed the full version of KONTAKT.
I just wanna start making music, so I guess I'll have to spend some money.
So INVANSC, are you saying that if I download a free version of Drum MIC'A, I can then get the full version of KONTAKT for just the upgrade ($49) price?
Old 11-22-2017, 12:32 PM   #6
sisaso

As user of mica you have to cross-grade.
sisaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #7
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plarnuvius View Post
So INVANSC, are you saying that if I download a free version of Drum MIC'A, I can then get the full version of KONTAKT for just the upgrade ($49) price?
Basically if you download and register Dum Mic'a, you qualify for the Crossgrade (from a 3rd party product) which is € 124,50 (not sure to what this equates to in dollars - but it's probably in the same ballpark)
https://www.native-instruments.com/e...akt-5/pricing/

Last edited by solger; 11-22-2017 at 12:42 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #8
Plarnuvius

Default what does cross-grade mean?

what does "cross-grade" mean?
Old 11-22-2017, 12:37 PM   #9
Plarnuvius

Default I'm off to cross grade!

Hope I'm not diggin a hole
tanks for all the help
Old 11-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #10
Plarnuvius

Default IT'S ALL IN GERMAN!

Ach de lieber!
Old 11-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #11
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I just wanna start making music, so I guess I'll have to spend some money.
Hi-Aye-- this perfectly illustrates the real need for reaper to instal at least 1 playable instrument!! people want to play!! straight away!!
Gave this a little thought,and working on making some '-sample based- playable instruments' as track templates /// presets __ for reaper users--- am hoping another member will help in that process-as it will speed the flow of info. =)
*Comming very soon @ a stash near you* =)
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:45 PM   #12
solger

Quote:
what does "cross-grade" mean?
The included content is the same for all license types (crossgrades, update, upgrade and full license) of the same product (in this case Kontakt).

If you qualify for a cheaper Update, Upgrade or Crossgrade path depends on the products you already own: https://support.native-instruments.c...-Do-I-Qualify-

Last edited by solger; 11-22-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:55 PM   #13
Plarnuvius

Default goin for the full monte

rather than pay $125 for Mic'a and load more stuff to get an upgrade to KONTAKT, I think I'll just spend $75 more and get KONTAKT directly.

Their website says it's okay up to MAC OS 10.12 and I have 10.13, but I assume this will still run.

My head hurts
Old 11-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #14
solger

Quote:
Their website says it's okay up to MAC OS 10.12 and I have 10.13, but I assume this will still run.
Yes, Kontakt compatibility with 10.13 High Sierra was already confirmed: https://support.native-instruments.c...atibility-News
Old 11-22-2017, 08:43 PM   #15
Plarnuvius

Default FREE TX16Wx Software Sampler plays DSK sounds

So I sent an email to dskmusic@live.com asking if there was anyway I could play my downloaded HQ sounds (for KONTAKT) in some other - preferably free - player.

A nice man named Victor C wrote back and said I could download the free
TX16Wx Software Sampler that would play the sfz versions of the DSK sounds, and he even sent me links to those sounds. It works!

Has anyone had any experience with this sample player?
Today I’m grateful for all the helpful music makers out there.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #16
Glennbo

Quote:
So I sent an email to dskmusic@live.com asking if there was anyway I could play my downloaded HQ sounds (for KONTAKT) in some other - preferably free - player.

A nice man named Victor C wrote back and said I could download the free
TX16Wx Software Sampler that would play the sfz versions of the DSK sounds, and he even sent me links to those sounds. It works!

Has anyone had any experience with this sample player?
Today I’m grateful for all the helpful music makers out there.
I played around with that one for a bit, but for my needs ended up settling with sforzando, which is another free one.

https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/

Some info about it from this forum:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=115186
Old 11-23-2017, 02:22 AM   #17
Goldreap

Plarnuvius,
as Glennbo indicates, Sforzando is the one to get. TX16Wx is a superb sampler and yes it can import sfz but it's not designed as a fully fledged sfz player.
The DrumMicA to full Kontakt journey is complicated but very much worth it. Once you have full Kontakt you have access to heaps of 3rd party libraries (free and paid). At the moment you would get the benefit of the half price sale on full Kontakt PLUS the crossgrade discount (all up about £104 here in UK). With the help of google translate and a fair bit of patience it can be done!
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #18
ivansc

Just to clarify, DrumMic'a is FREE.
And because Sennheiser gave it away and they are a Big, Rich Company, they kindly paid Native Instruments the fee to make it an actual Kontakt licenced instrument.

This means that it doesn't go into demo mode when you use it in the Kontakt player.
And because it is an official Kontakt library, it qualifies you to get the crossgrade price, so it really IS worth doing if you decide you want the full monte version of Kontakt.

FWIW the extra library of factory sounds that you get with Kontakt Full as opposed to the Factory Sampler you get with the free player is a huge bonus too.
Not saying Tx16Wx isnt perfectly usable but if you get even remotely serious about this stuff you WILL find so much great stuff that just works in full Kontakt but isn't going to do so in other Samplers.

P.S. I f you search carefully enough in here, there is an old thread that laid out exactly what you need to do to get DrumMic'a without needing to do a course in written German!
Old 11-23-2017, 06:17 PM   #19
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Just to clarify, DrumMic'a is FREE.
And because Sennheiser gave it away and they are a Big, Rich Company, they kindly paid Native Instruments the fee to make it an actual Kontakt licenced instrument.

This means that it doesn't go into demo mode when you use it in the Kontakt player.
And because it is an official Kontakt library, it qualifies you to get the crossgrade price, so it really IS worth doing if you decide you want the full monte version of Kontakt.

FWIW the extra library of factory sounds that you get with Kontakt Full as opposed to the Factory Sampler you get with the free player is a huge bonus too.
Not saying Tx16Wx isnt perfectly usable but if you get even remotely serious about this stuff you WILL find so much great stuff that just works in full Kontakt but isn't going to do so in other Samplers.

P.S. I f you search carefully enough in here, there is an old thread that laid out exactly what you need to do to get DrumMic'a without needing to do a course in written German!
What Ivan says is true. Even though Native Instruments kind of pissed me off last year, by not honoring a $30 E-Voucher that was printed right on their own packaging for Komplete Elements, I decided to download and install Sennheiser's *free* DrumMic.a, and after installing and activating it, checked to see my price for the full version of Kontakt.

It shows that I am eligible for a cross grade from DrumMic.a and the price for the full version of Kontakt (US Dollars) would be $124.50

That I can do, and it would vindicate for me the burn I received on my previous purchase from them. I searched around to see if I could get a list of what instruments come with the full version of Kontakt, but NI is pretty vague about specifically what it contains in the "Band" module.

A friend of mine gave me a complete list, but before I spend any more money with Native Instruments, I want to be ABSOLUTELY 100% SURE of what I am buying. Can anybody here verify that the full Kontakt (and NOT Komplete, which may have additional content) includes the following instruments?

I'm mostly interested in the Band stuff, excluding Bass, Drums, and Guitars, because I play those instruments and would probably never use the samples.

Sorry for the somewhat long list, but if I can get the following instruments (plus more of the VSO instruments) and an unrestricted version of Kontakt for $124.50, I'll pop for it.

Alto Saxophone.nki
Baritone Saxophone.nki
Sax Section.nki
Tenor Saxophone.nki
Trombone Section.nki
Trombone.nki
Trumpet Mute.nki
Trumpet Section.nki
Trumpet.nki

Grand Piano.nki
Ragtime Piano.nki
Upright Piano.nki

Clavinet Auto Wah Lead.nki
Clavinet Stereo Auto Wah.nki
Clavinet Wah Overdrive.nki
Clavinet.nki
Mark I Classic.nki
Mark I Crunchy Expressive.nki
Mark I Ringmod.nki
Mark I Suitcase.nki
Mark II Classic.nki
Mark II Phaser Ballad.nki
Mark II Soft Random.nki
Mark II Sparkly Chorus.nki
Wurly Crunchy Mellow.nki
Wurly EP.nki
Wurly EP_SK_1a.nki
Wurly Speaker.nki
Wurly Vintage Slapback.nki

A Whiter Shade.nki
Born to C3.nki
C3 Blues.nki
Circus.nki
Cool Cats.nki
Disharmonica.nki
Francescos Trumpet.nki
House Plop.nki
Indian Ropemen.nki
Jazz Basic.nki
Jazz.nki
Je t aime.nki
Marquee.nki
Oye Como Va.nki
Preston.nki
Reggae Basic.nki
Rock Basic.nki
The Cat.nki
The Third.nki
Woodstock.nki
Old 11-23-2017, 06:37 PM   #20
Goldreap

Glennbo...yep, that's what's in the Kontakt Band section as well as the guitar, bass, drums. Also you get Choir, Orchestral, Synth, Urban Beats, Vintage and World. Lots of good stuff in there. Be silly not to get it.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #21
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
Glennbo...yep, that's what's in the Band section as well as the guitar, bass, drums. Also you get Choir, Orchestral, Synth, Urban Beats, Vintage and World. Lots of good stuff in there. Be silly not to get it.
Credit Card is wiggling around in my wallet!!!
Old 11-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #22
Goldreap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Credit Card is wiggling around in my wallet!!!
There's the odd thing you might be disappointed with but overall I'd say very worth it. I started the Kontakt journey about a year ago, never looked back.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #23
Glennbo

Quote:
There's the odd thing you might be disappointed with but overall I'd say very worth it. I started the Kontakt journey about a year ago, never looked back.
Well, I couldn't resist, so I'm now downloading the 24GB library and updated full version of Kontakt. I can create my own sample sets with that too, correct?
Old 11-24-2017, 01:11 AM   #24
Goldreap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Well, I couldn't resist, so I'm now downloading the 24GB library and updated full version of Kontakt. I can create my own sample sets with that too, correct?
Sure can.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:48 AM   #25
ivansc

And of course now you can do what I did - start auditioning all those niche sample sets from the third party devs who cant afford to get the full library licence from NI!

My Kontakt TP folder is currently 12gb and contains 90,000 or more files! I dont use all of them every day but since most were free or under ten bucks, who cares?
One I use a bunch is Front Porch Tuba, which I think cost me $5 and is great for adding a big fat thumpy sound to your existing bass lines.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:20 AM   #26
Glennbo

Quote:
Sure can.
Veddy cool! I will definitely figger out how to create some sample libraries of physical instruments I have at my disposal. I already have done that to some degree using the free sampler "One Small Clue", to sample all the hand percussion instruments I have, so I can probably just import those.

When I want to add a tambourine or various shakers to a song, I use my samples now, because it easier than mic'ing up the real thing, and I made my samples from slicing up whole sections of live played, so there are up/down/hand hit/leg hit for instance on the five different tambourine, and same for all the different shakers.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #27
Glennbo

Quote:
And of course now you can do what I did - start auditioning all those niche sample sets from the third party devs who cant afford to get the full library licence from NI!

My Kontakt TP folder is currently 12gb and contains 90,000 or more files! I dont use all of them every day but since most were free or under ten bucks, who cares?
One I use a bunch is Front Porch Tuba, which I think cost me $5 and is great for adding a big fat thumpy sound to your existing bass lines.
Here's a million dollar question. I started first with the free Kontakt Player, then I got Komplete Elements, now I have the full version of Kontakt.

As such, it looks like I have duplication of instruments now too with "Factory Selection", "Elements Selection", and now "Factory Library".

Does anybody know if the first two of the above three are indeed duplicated in the "Factory Library", and if so how do I go about smoking the other two to free that disk space back up?
Old 11-25-2017, 01:17 AM   #28
ivansc

I finally got round to dumping the factory selection and retaining the factory library. The good news is that IF you find you are missing something you deleted you can always reinstall it.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #29
Glennbo

Quote:
I finally got round to dumping the factory selection and retaining the factory library. The good news is that IF you find you are missing something you deleted you can always reinstall it.
I ran the uninstall for Komplete Elements and ticked only the Elements Library, then did the same for Factory Selection, but Factory Selection didn't clear in Kontakt.

I found in Kontakt where I could tweak it's database and remove it so it doesn't show up any longer. Now I just have the Factory Library and Abbey Road Vintage Drums, which are a mono version of them.

Then, after recovering about 6GB of space on my HD, I get an email this morning that I can download "Retro Machines MKII" for free as a registered user of Kontakt. That sucked up all the space I just freed up! Oh well, none of it duplicates anything, and that was my biggest issue. :-)
Old 12-01-2017, 09:06 AM   #30
Plarnuvius

Default Crossgrade price increase

I finally gave in and downloaded DrumMica (what a trip), and when I went to get the Kontakt crossgrade, it has gone up to $249. Debating whether to buy food for family or spend the $249. Think the price might drop again?
Old 12-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #31
Softsynth

Quote:
I finally gave in and downloaded DrumMica (what a trip), and when I went to get the Kontakt crossgrade, it has gone up to $249. Debating whether to buy food for family or spend the $249. Think the price might drop again?
Seriously are you trolling?, why wait until just hours after a long running sale to whinge about the price?
It was half price (£104.50 here) to "crossgrade" from Drum Mica just this morning.

Yes price will drop again in another sale. However it might become a different product if or when Kontakt 6 lands. If that happens it may take longer to see another sale. Probably 18 months.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #32
Glennbo

Quote:
Yeah, the Black Friday sale said that it ended on 11/30/2017 when I bought the Kontakt cross-grade.

They might run it again near Christmas, or they might have some different sale happening then. No way to know for sure.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #33
Goldreap

And sometimes they have a sale but you can't crossgrade to the sale price.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #34
Glennbo

Quote:
And sometimes they have a sale but you can't crossgrade to the sale price.
I was quite surprised to see that after installing DrumMicA that not only did it qualify as a cross-grade to the full version of Kontakt, but also that they allowed the 50% off sale price on top of that. I got Kontakt for $124.50! :-)
Old 12-01-2017, 11:31 AM   #35
Goldreap

Yep, sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #36
Plarnuvius

Default ces't la vie

I didn't know the sale was about to end and I wuz waitin for my SS check, so shame on me
Anyhoo - i'm more concerned with the writing than the quality of the sounds so I'm just gonna go w/ the free stuff until my ship comes in.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #37
Softsynth

Quote:
I didn't know the sale was about to end and I wuz waitin for my SS check, so shame on me
Anyhoo - i'm more concerned with the writing than the quality of the sounds so I'm just gonna go w/ the free stuff until my ship comes in.
Social Security cheque? Sorry to hear that, bad timing for you then. Might be worth a phone call to NI to explain that? Tell them it's supposed to be the season of good will!

In the meantime this is still free:
https://www.jrrshop.com/air-music-tech-xpand-2
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #38
Plarnuvius

Thanks- I'll check it out. I presently have the sfz player, which seems pretty simple.

I'm mostly into old school, "real instrument" sounds. Been reading a lot about the Beatles sessions at Abbey Road. I do some live guitar, but everything else is MIDI.
I'd rather spend my time tweaking the midi to make it sound human than fiddling with the deeper intricacies of sound.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:14 AM   #39
pryere

Be aware that I came across a Trojan severe threat after a full scan today.
It came via DSK Darkness Theory.
There has been some talk about this already on here.

Peace
pryere is offline   Reply With Quote