Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-21-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
docdaddy
Human being with feelings

Default Multiple channels from Mackie ProFX12v2 to Reaper?

Trying to move our podcast up from Audacity to Reaper. Two hosts, intro, outro, transition music, occasional interviewee joining the show.

I'd like to feed our mics, any interviewee via Skype or if in the room with their own mics, and our intro/outro/transistion music live into Reaper and record on Reaper. These all feed into a Mackie ProFX12v2 mixer.

The Mackie manual says the USB output of this mixer outputs the left and right line out channel; I assume that means only two channels will feed into Reaper? Is what I want to do just not possible with this mixer? It's a pretty popular mixer so that would be disappointing.

Thanks!
docdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:54 PM   #2
DVDdoug

Quote:
The Mackie manual says the USB output of this mixer outputs the left and right line out channel; I assume that means only two channels will feed into Reaper?
Yes. Most USB mixers work as mixers and send the mix to the USB bus... They don't work as multitrack interfaces.

There are some mixers that work as multitrack interfaces but most don't. I know Presonus makes some.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #3
docdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
Yes. Most USB mixers work as mixers and send the mix to the USB bus... They don't work as multitrack interfaces.

There are some mixers that work as multitrack interfaces but most don't. I know Presonus makes some.
Hmmm. So it sounds like a DAW like Reaper actually performs the role of the mixer? I.e. you send all of the mics, music sources, etc. into Reaper instead of the mixer board, and adjust the recording levels, gain etc. in Reaper instead of the mixer?

That is an entirely new concept I need to wrap my head around. Especially when I think of how I'd do a mix-minus for a "call in" interview (which is done pretty simply on a mixer.)

What then do people use, what are the setups hardware wise for recording multiple tracks in Reaper on a laptop?
Old 05-24-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
Philbo King

The simplest answer would be a multichannel audio interface. The Behringer X series is a worth a look. So are the RME interfaces. You just plug in all the mics & other sources, set levels to peak around -10 dB, and run it all into Reaper. From there it can be recorded, or mixed live for broadcast or live shows. These will be some delay, called latency. If you need to use FX there will be more delay added.

I personally have a 12x4x2 Ramsa mixer, feeding 8 channels into a Behringer AD8200 interface, which routes into a Presonus 1818VSL by optical cable. The 8 other inputs on the Presonus are dedicated to audio from several hardware synthesizers.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
docdaddy

After looking at dozens of audio interfaces, at a WIDE range of prices, as well as realizing I'd still need to keep the mixer in the mix (no pun intended) because I could not see an easy way to do a mix-minus for call in interviews,I stumbled across a good mixer that has the full multichannel (in this case, 12 channel) output to USB, specifically to feed to a DAW.

This is what I purchased: Soundcraft Signature 12MTK Analog 12-Channel Multi-track Mixer.

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll post how this works after I get it and get the chance to work on it.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #6
ashcat_lt

Any interface with more than a stereo pair of outputs can do what you're calling "mix-minus". In fact, if you could live with mono monitoring while recording, and only need the one minus mix, you could do it with just two outputs. It's about exactly the same thing as setting up a cue mix or different headphone mixes for different performers or even a separate monitor mix for a live show. We literally do these things all the time. You can have as many different mixes as you have holes to pump them out of.

Tascan US1800 would do it cheaper. The Zoom H4 that you already own could do it. The H6 that you were talking about could do it with more inputs. You didn't care about my suggestions in the other thread either though, so... :/
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
docdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Any interface with more than a stereo pair of outputs can do what you're calling "mix-minus". In fact, if you could live with mono monitoring while recording, and only need the one minus mix, you could do it with just two outputs. It's about exactly the same thing as setting up a cue mix or different headphone mixes for different performers or even a separate monitor mix for a live show. We literally do these things all the time. You can have as many different mixes as you have holes to pump them out of.

Tascan US1800 would do it cheaper. The Zoom H4 that you already own could do it. The H6 that you were talking about could do it with more inputs. You didn't care about my suggestions in the other thread either though, so... :/
Sorry if I gave the impression I was ignoring your suggestions; in fact, I was doing a ton of research and looking things up based on what you said! I should have done a better job of acknowledging that, though, as I know it takes a conscious effort to try to help people here. So - thank you.

So for my education and anyone else reading this thread, using the Tascam US1800 (which I looked at) - let's say with two hosts each with their own mic/channel, and two people calling in separately for the interviews - how would you set that up? You feed input from all 4 to channels 1-4, say, and you've got the feedback from all 4 going out to be recorded for the show. How would you accomplish the mix-minus so each interviewee/caller was hearing everything except their own voice? I.e. how do I set up giving each of them an output separate from the output going to the DAW or DAT with their own voice subtracted? Thanks
Old 05-25-2018, 10:30 AM   #8
ashcat_lt

Hardware Sends to separate analog outputs on the interface. You can send right from each individual track, or create an "aux/cue" track for each output, send all the tracks to those tracks and to hardware from there.

I have to say I'm not sure how you're getting to/from Skype. I could be missing something.

Sorry if I sounded snippy about you "ignoring" me. I'm just trying to help, and even if it doesn't work for you, maybe it can help somebody else.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote