Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
Miul
Human being with feelings

Default Tools like in logic or Studio One?

Hello, I'm a complete newbie coming from logic first (which I hated) and Studio One later (which I hated later) although I'm really having hard time getting started with Reaper. I really miss the tools that makes everything easy in the fore-mentioned daws.
Is there any sort of loadable presets that simulate such behaviours. So many options are driving me crazy!
Miul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
Kenten

What kinds of things are you trying to do? I am not familiar with either of those DAWs.
Kenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
solger

Welcome to the Reaper Forums!

In case you haven't already found them, make sure to check out the User Guide (https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php) and Videos section (https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php) in general.

If you're looking for something specific, please post more details about what these things, tools, etc. are, exactly.
solger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
Miul

Well, navigation is my major problem at the moment. Both in the daw I mentioned, but also in PT, you have multi tool and you can split, select and then copy from there...these are the thing I-m really missing. I know they are there, but I don-t know how to set them.

I've seen all the first series of videos from Kenny Gioia and still...I cannot set it the way to reach it
Old 06-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
Allspice

REAPER is all about assigning shortcuts and contextual mouse behavior, there is no tool-based workflow in REAPER.

If you're coming from Logic or Studio One get used to figuring out what tools you want and where you want to assign them since a lot of the common ones aren't really mapped to anything by default. Hopefully you only have to do it once, after that it should be smooth sailing.
Allspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #6
_Stevie_

@Miul, I fear you really have to take some time to check all the mouse modifiers and scripts that are available for Reaper. There's tons of stuff. I still haven't explored everything. But you can definitely achieve a workflow, that you are used from other DAWs. It just takes some time to set it up.
I know it can be overwhelming at the beginning with all the options and stuff, but it's definitely worth it.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:13 AM   #7
Kenten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allspice View Post
REAPER is all about assigning shortcuts and contextual mouse behavior, there is no tool-based workflow in REAPER.

If you're coming from Logic or Studio One get used to figuring out what tools you want and where you want to assign them since a lot of the common ones aren't really mapped to anything by default. Hopefully you only have to do it once, after that it should be smooth sailing.
YES.

While I am not familiar with Studio One or Logic, I have used Pro Tools and Cubase before, and I found that both of those DAWs relied heavily on using different mouse tools, which in my opinion is VASTLY inferior to how REAPER handles things. For example, just in the context of manipulating an item, I can move it, shorten it, loop in, lower the volume of it, or add a fade in or fade out, all without using a mouse tool or even a keyboard shortcut. It's just clicking and dragging, what happens depends on what part of the item you click and drag on. If you're not used to this workflow I'm sure it can be confusing at first, but once you get used to it, it is SOOO much faster than working in those other DAWs.

Solger pointed you towards some great resources, but if you have any questions about how to do specific tasks, don't hesitate to ask here.
Kenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:08 AM   #8
Miul

Default I do agree but...

I basically agree with everyone here, and of course, the main reason I switched to reaper is exactly the one you mentioned. Although, to get started, it would be so helpful to have a sort of configuration that emulates them....but if doesn't exist...I will have to go for the hard way...and it's gonna be really hard, also because I find the the action description really cryptical....basically I don't understand them nevertheless my decades of daw experience!

So, I'll give myself a good luck...could I find my way soon!
Old 06-07-2018, 07:11 AM   #9
Judders

When I jumped ship from Logic, this video series was invaluable for getting my own config sorted (and that was back when you had to pay for the version 4 videos, and they were worth every penny... now they're free, lucky you! ): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Q3kdy7ROE2K-F4
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:54 PM   #10
hopi

Miul... make a list, ...really like

1-
2-
3-

so that each item is something you want as a tool

then maybe we can save you some time...

DAW's that make you clk on a tool icon to do something are, after being in reaper for sometime now, a royal PITA and slow to work with....

but in many cases you can put some of those actions as tools on a toolbar...

but really basic things... like split an item... put the cursor where you want on the selected item hit the S key... or, split it at two places... make a time selection and hit Control+S ...no tool icon needed...

It's not hard to learn reaper... what is hard is getting what you 'know' out of the way... LoL
Old 06-08-2018, 02:46 AM   #11
Judders

It can seem like option overload in the beginning, but remember that it is never set in stone. I've been using REAPER for a few years now, but I still find myself tweaking my config to make my life easier. Don't feel you have to get it perfect first time, and start with your most common uses.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #12
jbraner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miul View Post
I basically agree with everyone here, and of course, the main reason I switched to reaper is exactly the one you mentioned. Although, to get started, it would be so helpful to have a sort of configuration that emulates them....but if doesn't exist...I will have to go for the hard way...and it's gonna be really hard, also because I find the the action description really cryptical....basically I don't understand them nevertheless my decades of daw experience!

So, I'll give myself a good luck...could I find my way soon!
So,this is how I migrated from SONAR:
When you're trying to do something, take a look at the "actions" and the mouse modifiers - find the ones that do what you want to do - then assign the actions/mouse modifiers to the keyboard shortcuts and mouse movements that you're used to.
Then have a look at the toolbars, and customise a toolbar or two with things you'll use a lot.
Also - look at "custom actions" to start making things even better than they were in your old DAW
Then have a look at Evil Dragons customised menus. Install them, and then customise them even more - for yourself.

Of course, make a backup of everything first (look in preferences, at the top, you can back everything up) in case you screw something up. (happens to the best of us)

It sounds like a lot,but it doesn't take -that- long, and you'll have Reaper set up just how you want it.

I'm still making minor tweaks, so maybe it never ends

Don't forget to ask here, when you get stuck. There are a lot of helpful people here.

PS - install the SWS extensions.
jbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:20 AM   #13
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraner View Post
So,this is how I migrated from SONAR:

Then have a look at Evil Dragons customised menus. Install them, and then customise them even more - for yourself.

Don't forget to ask here, when you get stuck. There are a lot of helpful people here.

PS - install the SWS extensions.
Thank you very much for all the answers. In this very moment I'm so busy with promotional and live stuff that i don't have much time to through Reaper much. But as soon as I can breathe again I will follow all of your advice.

PS. I already intalled the SWS ext. (not yet understood what it does though), where can I find this "Evil Dragons"?

Cheers
Mauro
Old 06-10-2018, 01:51 AM   #14
jbraner

Quote:
where can I find this "Evil Dragons"?

Right here
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=58672
Old 06-10-2018, 02:35 AM   #15
ivansc

Ha HA!!!! ED - you have been turned into some sort of binary deity or a cyborg component of Reaper!!!
Old 06-10-2018, 02:46 AM   #16
jbraner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Ha HA!!!! ED - you have been turned into some sort of binary deity or a cyborg component of Reaper!!!

?????
Old 06-10-2018, 04:41 AM   #17
xpander

Certainly not to take anything away from ED, he has been a big contributor on this one as well, but ReaMenus was Mike Stop Continues' project and is currently maintained by Pet.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:48 AM   #18
jbraner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Certainly not to take anything away from ED, he has been a big contributor on this one as well, but ReaMenus was Mike Stop Continues' project and is currently maintained by Pet.
OK sorry - so let's just say "check out ReaMenus"

(I think I was thinking of the toolbar when I mentioned ED - sorry)
Old 06-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #19
EricTbone

Quote:
navigation is my major problem at the moment.
That's one area where Reaper fairly dominates.

Quote:
PT, you have multi tool and you can split, select and then copy from there...
split = 's' key
select = left mouse, or right-mouse drag
copy = ctrl-c + ctrl-v, or hold CTRL while dragging

Of course, these are just starting points in Reaper. There are lots of more advanced versions of these things, and these aspects of Reaper workflow are very configurable.
EricTbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #20
Miul

Default Auto scroll

Hello,

Here's one: how to stop the autoscroll?
I know there is in playback preferences "don't scroll" unfortunately to me, it doesn't work and it would not be the best solution which is a simple shortcut.

Any Idea?
Old 06-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #21
EricTbone

Quote:
Here's one: how to stop the autoscroll?
From the menu on the top of the Reaper window: Options -> Automatically scroll view during playback
Old 06-21-2018, 09:04 AM   #22
G-Sun

Quote:
Is there any sort of loadable presets that simulate such behaviours. So many options are driving me crazy!
Welcome!
It's a bit overwhelming at first, but if you now S1 and Logic,
then you know 90% of Reaper.
It's more like, where do I find this, how do I do that.
That's much better, than, oh, so many options, and I don't know what I'm looking for.

I suggest watching Kennys videos:
- The basics
then
- The subject of your choice
here: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

install SWS and ReaPack

and come back here for specific questions.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #23
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTbone View Post
From the menu on the top of the Reaper window: Options -> Automatically scroll view during playback
Thank you!
Old 06-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #24
LugNut

Hi,

I came from logic.
One of the first things I missed was red colored timeline when in record. Check sws options.
Also the running man icon. I put that in my main toolbar at top left/arrange.
All the tools that were available when you pushed ESC in logic are mostly available by either putting the cursor over a certain area of an item..region in logic speak...or holding a predefined key while using the mouse, or a combo of both. Right click everything.
The terminology in the action list can throw you off at first....look for transpose for ex....its adjust semitones or smth like that.

The only area where I'm still missing logic is the midi enviourment. Along with the various midi manipulation tools there. You can get it done in reaper, but its much more "fiddly". IMHO.
Welcome!
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #25
LugNut

....you can use macros to combine actions....key commands in ls.
One thing I use a lot is split under mouse cursor. Hover the cursor where you want split and hit key you've assigned..mine is x.

Most everything you can do to items can be one or multiple selections.

Good luck!
Old 06-21-2018, 11:57 PM   #26
Miul

Quote:
Although it behaves weird. In fact, if you start playing with scroll on and then press the key not to scroll, it will take it right away and won't scroll next page. Good!
On the other side, if you start with scroll off and then you press the key to scroll it...it won't. Is there any logic about it?
Old 06-22-2018, 12:21 AM   #27
EricTbone

Quote:
press the key not to scroll [..] press the key to scroll it
Huh? No clue what you're talking about.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:05 AM   #28
Miul

Quote:
Huh? No clue what you're talking about.
I assigned the function you told me to the lkey shortcut "P". If I press key while the autoscroll is on it will stop the scree from moving (which is the correct function).
On the other side, if I press P while is not scrolling, will not catch the cursor position. Is that normal? I don't think is a good behaviour
Old 06-22-2018, 05:46 AM   #29
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenten View Post
What kinds of things are you trying to do? I am not familiar with either of those DAWs.
To maybe help clarify it, he's probably talking about the smart tools in Studio One where the workflow is sort of like Tracktion in a way, where you can split, range, whatever, with a single handed modifier free workflow based on where the mouse cursor is and the arrow cursor has a list of selectable alternate tools for the Ctrl modifier.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:59 AM   #30
LugNut

Quote:
I assigned the function you told me to the lkey shortcut "P". If I press key while the autoscroll is on it will stop the scree from moving (which is the correct function).
On the other side, if I press P while is not scrolling, will not catch the cursor position. Is that normal? I don't think is a good behaviour
Hi,
I get this behaviour once in awhile. If I hit stop and then hit the key it works again. Prob a bug. Especially in midi editor. But hitting stop clears it up.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #31
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraner View Post
?????
Mario (EvilDragon) is a chum of mine from way back & is definitely a human being... he seems to provoke a mental image among certain members here of some escapee from Ragnarok, despite his delightful avatar photo.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #32
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,
I get this behaviour once in awhile. If I hit stop and then hit the key it works again. Prob a bug. Especially in midi editor. But hitting stop clears it up.
Actually it doesn't do it to me.
In order to have it autoscroll again I have to stop for sure, but then press the shortcut again.

Basically, is like the toogle back to auto scroll doesn't work if in play. It'a bad bugs, at least for me.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:32 AM   #33
chip mcdonald

Doesn't sound like a bug, sounds like a configuration "collision"... The danger of having a super configurable program.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:20 AM   #34
xpander

Quote:
Basically, is like the toogle back to auto scroll doesn't work if in play. It'a bad bugs, at least for me.
What exactly is the scroll action you are using to stop/start the scroll? Do you also use continuous scrolling?
Old 06-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #35
EricTbone

I found a way to reproduce it:
  1. Start playback from the main Reaper window.
  2. Click a media item.

That's it. Clicking items disables auto-scrolling until you stop and restart playback, regardless of the state of that auto-scroll setting.

Same goes for editing a note in the MIDI editor.

Quote:
It'a bad bugs, at least for me.
Is it really though? *lol* A bad bug is something that screws up your ability to work or loses data. This is at worst a trivial inconvenience (unless perhaps you were using Reaper for live work and couldn't restart playback).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
Doesn't sound like a bug, sounds like a configuration "collision"...
What options are those?

Last edited by EricTbone; 06-23-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #36
LugNut

Hi,
Here's where it happens to me..
In the midi editor I'm playing scroll on..I see something that needs a quick editing...I hit my running man toolbar button to stop autoscroll....I edit....I hit the button again..it lights up and ..no auto scroll.
I then hit stop...then start again and auto scroll works correctly until I edit anything again.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #37
EricTbone

Quote:
Hi,
Here's where it happens to me..
In the midi editor I'm playing scroll on..I see something that needs a quick editing...I hit my running man toolbar button to stop autoscroll....I edit....I hit the button again..it lights up and ..no auto scroll.
I then hit stop...then start again and auto scroll works correctly until I edit anything again.
It appears that auto-scroll gets disabled, regardless of the auto-scroll setting state, if:
  • You click on a media item in the main window
  • You edit anything in the MIDI editor.

So it's probably by design, rather than a bug. That behavior makes sense. You wouldn't want the screen moving away from you while you're trying to edit, so if Reaper see that's what you're doing it, it stops auto-scrolling.

That said, I could see if you were using Reaper live, being unable to resume auto-scrolling could be annoying. So you should probably file a feature request: if auto-scroll has been suspended because of edit behavior, toggling the auto-scroll setting should resume scrolling.

Last edited by EricTbone; 06-23-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #38
xpander

Quote:
I manage this differently in MIDI editor. I have two actions in ME toolbar; Go to edit cursor and Go to play cursor. I have auto-scroll on playback always on and just hit these two actions depending on where I want to be.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #39
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
What exactly is the scroll action you are using to stop/start the scroll? Do you also use continuous scrolling?
No, I don't. I hate continuous scrolling!
Old 06-24-2018, 02:58 PM   #40
Miul

Quote:
I found a way to reproduce it:

Is it really though? *lol* A bad bug is something that screws up your ability to work or loses data. This is at worst a trivial inconvenience (unless perhaps you were using Reaper for live work and couldn't restart playback).
Everybody has got the right to consider bad what it feels is bad for him so, I don't think yours is a good answer, but I will try to manage as written below.