Old 06-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
fuseburn
Human being with feelings

Default NDI Support ? (+ Video with alpha?)

Hallo dear Reaperists!

REAPER in its current form is an incredibly useful and stable video player.
Since it can also be synced to incoming SMPTE or MIDI MTC (heck, it can even convert LTC to MTC or vice versa in realtime!), it's very well suitable as a video playback server as part of a timecoded lightshow which is synced to music via timecode.

At the moment, you can basically fire up Newteks Scan Convertor (part of the free NDI Tools) and capture REAPERs video playback window, which converts it to a super low latency NDI Network stream. From there it can be used in multiple ways - as a video playback layer in OBS for live streaming, or maybe as an input layer in a VJ Software like Resolume Arena for even more video FX fun in realtime.

If REAPERs Video Output hypothetically had native NDI support, it would not only reduce the overhead and streamline the entire process, but it would even make sense to support video playback with alpha layers, so you could use REAPER as MIDI-controlled "Video Sampler" for overlays or titles.
Plus, using several REAPER instances could fire several video layers independently without occupying a physical screen each when using Scan Converter.

Before going the route of a feature request I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Also I have no insight in the licensing situation.

Cheers everyone!
Old 12-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
deseipel
Human being with feelings

Update: I figured it out.

Hello there, I recently began toying with the NDI tools and I'm curious how you're able to get the video in another application? I have the NDI tools on Windows 10 and that OS, Scan Converter is called Screen Capture I think. Anyway, I'm very curious how you got this going. Can you provide details?

Last edited by deseipel; 12-28-2020 at 11:52 AM.
deseipel is offline   Reply With Quote