Old 03-19-2020, 11:42 PM   #1
ultravoss
Human being with feelings

Default Sidechain: duck only on full 1/4 notes

Hi dear forum!

I've set up a sidechain compression where the kick drum sends the ducking signal to the bass track. All working fine.

Now I want the bass not to duck on every signal that the kick drum sends, but only on every full 1/4 note. The reason is that the kick drum sometimes plays syncopes, and it sounds awkward when the bass ducks on those.

Is it possible to set up a second kick drum track (with only straight 1/4 notes) that serves only as a source track for the bass sidechain, but is not put out on the master track? And if so, how would the routing be?

Best regards
Ultravoss
ultravoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:23 AM   #2
Crashwaggon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravoss View Post
Hi dear forum!

I've set up a sidechain compression where the kick drum sends the ducking signal to the bass track. All working fine.

Now I want the bass not to duck on every signal that the kick drum sends, but only on every full 1/4 note. The reason is that the kick drum sometimes plays syncopes, and it sounds awkward when the bass ducks on those.

Is it possible to set up a second kick drum track (with only straight 1/4 notes) that serves only as a source track for the bass sidechain, but is not put out on the master track? And if so, how would the routing be?

Best regards
Ultravoss
That would be the best way to do it, yeah. Pre fader send and that should work.
Crashwaggon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:20 AM   #3
ultravoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashwaggon View Post
That would be the best way to do it, yeah. Pre fader send and that should work.
Thank you so much, "pre-fader" was a good hint! I got it working now.
ultravoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:52 AM   #4
jrk

Or, you could do something with an envelope LFO? Param mod LFO on a volume plug? Otherwise, yeah, another straight 1/4 kick track, just don't route it to master / parent.

Last edited by jrk; 03-22-2020 at 04:59 AM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:39 AM   #5
Fergler

Another option that I usually prefer when the sidechain source is more complex is to convert it to MIDI. It may be a very simple underlying rhythm that you want to sidechain so you could even just write out the MIDI and repeat it.

But there are tools available to speed this up.

JS AudioToMIDI effect is very effective. Route audio from your kick track to a new track with this effect on it and dial it in. Test it by putting a sample trigger on it of any sort.

Then render the track to MIDI to gain fine control. Stretch all the notes out to a larger size, even overlapping each other. Then run the action 'Correct overlapping notes'. Now you should have large notes and short notes. Use MIDI editor note filter to select notes that are shorter than your quarter notes and remove them or move them to a separate track if you would like to for example still use them for sidechain but just not as much.

Optional step: fix up the velocity of the notes or even just set them all the same. An easy way to range limit velocity without adding a plugin is to simply select all the notes, drag their velocity up or down until the lower/upper limit starts moving the velocities into a straight line of 0 or 127. Let go, then drag back up/down.

But I find for the purpose of sidechaining on most kick drum tracks that actually a steady consistent velocity of the MIDI notes makes for a more consistent dip in volume on the bass and you can afford to be more subtle with it.

Lastly, send this MIDI to an envelope filter like DADSR like Zenvelope ( https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=152382 ) on the track to be sidechained. Total control over the sound.

Other perks of using MIDI: you can easily adjust the timing of the sidechain by simply moving the notes forward or back. Back is great for kick and bass sidechain because you can use a generous attack setting on the envelope filter so you don't mess with bass transients as much. Quite transparent.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:52 AM   #6
TonE

Thanks for the hint to Zenvelope, it seems not to be part of reapack, thus a hidden goldmine in the forum, I will check it, sounds great in the other thread, thanks! Maybe worth a Reablog video?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote