Old 10-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
Chris Diablo
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER Error: Parsing?

I posted about receiving a "parsing error" a while back when I was using a rather antiquated PC and running Windows 98. Now, that I've upgraded quite a bit and am running XP I hadn't had any "parsing errors" until last night. I had just installed Reaper upgrade 1.22 before it occurred. It reads as a "REAPER Error... There was an error parsing the specified project". It pops up when I try to load this particuliar project. Any ideas? I've been backing stuff up pretty diligently, but let my guard down and really want to salvage this project. Maybe it's payback for not yet paying for Reaper (which I intend to do if it looks like it's got some staying power... so far, so good). Thanks!

Chris
Chris Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
olzzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Diablo
I posted about receiving a "parsing error" a while back when I was using a rather antiquated PC and running Windows 98. Now, that I've upgraded quite a bit and am running XP I hadn't had any "parsing errors" until last night. I had just installed Reaper upgrade 1.22 before it occurred. It reads as a "REAPER Error... There was an error parsing the specified project". It pops up when I try to load this particuliar project. Any ideas? I've been backing stuff up pretty diligently, but let my guard down and really want to salvage this project. Maybe it's payback for not yet paying for Reaper (which I intend to do if it looks like it's got some staying power... so far, so good). Thanks!

Chris
What plugins are you using on that project?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Next time you have a project that won't parse, post it here and I'll take a look..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
Chris Diablo

Thanks for the speedy replies, guys. I got the project working by opening the "BAK" file or whatever it is. Basically, I think it's some kind of backup file that gets saved simultaneous to the "regular" save. Found out about it after doing some Googling. Whatever it is it saved my project. I really have no clue about how you develop this kind of software, but creating some sort of back-up file as a clone to the "main one saved" seems to be a great idea! Keep up the good work.
Chris Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
johnryan

Default Need help with same error

Hi all,

I was wondering could you offer help/advice on a file for which I'm receiving a "parsing error".

I've spent the day recording, saving regularly only to lose the file when my computer crashed.

I'd greatly appreciate any help you can offer on the attached files.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp april 19th.RPP (145.3 KB, 813 views)
File Type: rpp april 19th (2).RPP (145.3 KB, 636 views)
johnryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:29 AM   #6
Runaway

Sorry johnryan those RPP files are filled with 'Nulls' so it ain't ever gonna fly.
Essentially those RPP files are trashed.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
johnryan

Worth a shot

Thank you for taking a look; I appreciate it.

Kind Regards,

John
johnryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Galactican

Just wanted to chime in and say this ancient thread saved my bacon today. Yay for backup projects!
Galactican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
SammyFlow

Me too, guys. .bak is where it's at!
Windows7 Pro 64bit, Intel i7 3930K 6 core @3.2GHz, 32Gb Corsair 1333, ASUS Sabertooth X79 -XMP BIOS overclocking- Crucial 256GB SSD, WD 1GB 7200rpm HD, NVIDIA GTX 550Ti, Presonus Firestudio Project, Texas Instruments Firewire Card
SammyFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #10
mazegeek999

Default Parsing Error

Hello there. I'm also getting a parsing error, but it happens with both the main file and the backup file. There is a reasonable file size, so I don't think it's corrupt, but I could very well be wrong. I'd appreciate if someone could look into this.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp RBN Voodoo Chile.RPP (108.2 KB, 629 views)
mazegeek999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:24 AM   #11
kai kiernan

Default Parsing Issue

Hey, I'm having a parsing error for a track I recorded a while ago. Please help, I would really love to not have to re record this entire thing. Please help if you can!
Attached Files
File Type: rpp The_greatest_friend_(demo).RPP (72.8 KB, 568 views)
kai kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #12
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai kiernan View Post
Hey, I'm having a parsing error for a track I recorded a while ago. Please help, I would really love to not have to re record this entire thing. Please help if you can!
Sorry, the project file is lost. It only contains null characters, so nothing can be got out of it anymore. Your recorded audio files should still exist though, but you will need to build the project from scratch and place the existing audio files on it.

This looks like a serious bug in Reaper! What could make it write only null characters into the project file...?
Old 04-23-2015, 10:43 AM   #13
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
This looks like a serious bug in Reaper!
Or disk corruption? Or maybe virus/etc?
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:06 PM   #14
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Or disk corruption? Or maybe virus/etc?
Hmm, true...
Old 09-06-2016, 10:19 PM   #15
filipe1983

Thanks! I got the same problem and opened the .bak and solved it. Now i will **** ******* ****** **** for it, so i can cheer me up and make some sacrifices to God. Cheers!

Last edited by filipe1983; 09-06-2016 at 10:26 PM.
filipe1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:21 PM   #16
sweeteners

I got this message tonight. So how do i open the project using the backup files?
sweeteners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #17
tottis

Default Fiouuuuu

I just stepped into and out of depression :-P. I got the "parsing error" too and I was almost certain that many days of work where just lost until I found this thread. This "bak" file saved the day. Got me up and running in no time. You will find it in the same directory as of the correspondent corrupted rpp file. Many thanks to whoever is responsible for this and everybody here that shared this information. ;-)
tottis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:02 AM   #18
fishlain

Default error parsing project

Hello,
I worked on the same project at home / at my job carrying an external hd, and somehow, I can't open it anymore
Same thing for the bak file
Can you check if you can do something about it ?
thanks a lot !
Attached Files
File Type: zip film gilles main.zip (494.3 KB, 212 views)
fishlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:35 PM   #19
Rodulf

This old thread just saved a major project for me!
Rodulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:46 PM   #20
joalsu

Default Reaper Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Next time you have a project that won't parse, post it here and I'll take a look..
Hello !!
That error also appears to me but in my case it is almost constant and it is in several sessions ...... that is to say, that after a while of saving the sessions the file is damaged, this error appearing constantly, and it is not only , it hurts the configurations already made
joalsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:49 PM   #21
joalsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Diablo View Post

Chris
A mi tambien me sale ese error pero ya es de una manera constante casi en todos los proyectos que guardo, me toca estar acudiendo a las backup siempre y asi que pereza. te agrdezco si me puedes ayudar si resolviste el problema
joalsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:57 AM   #22
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by joalsu View Post
Hello !!
That error also appears to me but in my case it is almost constant and it is in several sessions ...... that is to say, that after a while of saving the sessions the file is damaged, this error appearing constantly, and it is not only , it hurts the configurations already made

As Justin pointed out, can you post an affected project-file?

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote