Old 01-06-2018, 11:19 PM   #1
fundorin
Banned

Default Control MIDI actions via OSC

What is the proper way of controlling (MIDI CC/mousewheel only) actions with OSC commandS?
For example, I want to use "Adjust solo in front dim (MIDI CC/mousewheel only)" with, let's say, an encoder, that can send "i/action/987" (action's ID) with some arguments.
What arguments should be set for proper dimming "solo in front".

Of cause, I can just send MIDI command from the controller, but that would take additional midi assignment in the action list, so that's not an option, really. I need to control midi type actions with osc commands from the controller.

UPD.
Found out that there are
Code:
MIDIACTION i/midiaction t/midiaction/@
MIDILISTACTION i/midilistaction t/midilistaction/@
actions available, but still can't get them to work. Does anyone have a proper example of how to exploit those actions and what does midilist even means?

Last edited by fundorin; 01-07-2018 at 01:26 AM.
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:37 PM   #2
fundorin
Banned

So, nobody knows what MIDILISTACTION is for and how to adjust mousewheel actions via OSC?
Old 01-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #3
fundorin
Banned

I hate to see when devs are adding some features and, because of no proper description/example, those features aren't used by anyone, even though they might be very useful.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #4
goldenarpharazon
Human being with feelings

MIDIACTION and MIDILISTACTION

probably exist to call actions from the

"Midi Editor Actions" and "Midi Event List Editor"
action sections respectively.

Command IDs are not unique between Reaper "action sections"

If 987 "Adjust solo in front dim (MIDI CC/mousewheel only)" is wanted as the call, then call this via ACTION - probably call it via syntax f/action/@/cc ?

But if Command ID 989 is called via MIDIACTION or MIDILISTACTION its function will be different to when called via ACTION. The easiest way to see this difference in Command IDs is to look very closely at the action list in the "Show Action List" window whilst also showing Command IDs. Knowing this difference then leaves you calling the desired action along with appropriate parameter for ACTION where a parameter is allowed.

MIDIACTION and MIDILISTACTION calls will not take more parameters beyond a toggle, inferring from the range of strings already predefined in .ReaperOSC

Good luck using and pushing the Reaper OSC implementation boundaries!

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 01-08-2018 at 06:29 PM.
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote