Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-18-2018, 04:34 PM   #1
Dave 2099
Human being with feelings

Default midi editor opens with missing grid, and crashes when clicking Notes Editor button

Hello programming saviors,

Recently (perhaps after an OS update, if so, not sure when) I can't get the midi editor to open. It worked normally before. I've tried installing previous versions of Reaper but get the same result.

Initially I can get the editor to open by double-clicking the midi item (though I have to do that more than once to get the editor to open), but thereafter not at all. See attached screen grab to see how it looks when it opens.

When it does open, it opens without the grid and notes display.

The same thing happens if I open the editor via Item-->Open in built-in midi editor.

When I click the notation editor button (treble clef), Reaper crashes altogether.

Text from the crash report (attaching the full report in case it's needed):

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 reaper_midi.dylib 0x0000000109d2f937 MIDIFile_Context::ScoreRedraw(bool) + 1911

Specs:

Mac OS 10.13.2

Reaper v5.70/64

Thanks in advance. I'm dying without my midi editor!

Tuttle
Dave 2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:39 AM   #2
ivansc

Did you already try doing a portable install just to make sure your original install`s settings/ .ini file wasnt being picked up by the new install?
Old 01-19-2018, 06:23 AM   #3
Dave 2099

No, I haven't tried that. I'm not computer-savvy at all. Could you explain how I would do that, in terms that a 7 year old would understand? : )
Old 01-19-2018, 07:48 AM   #4
ivansc

Grinz!
Download Reaper again.
Start the install and you will see a checkbox marked potable install"
Check it and Reaper will install a new, clean, self-contained copy of itself on your C:\ drive (assuming you are on Windows)

OOPS!!!!!
Just checked your other posts and see you are on a MacBook.
All the above applies the same on Mac as far as installing a portable version is concerned, just that the portable reaper will be in your Applications folder.(as far as I am aware)

This install of Reaper will not pick up any of the details of your original install, or indeed alter them.
This means we are starting you again from scratch & if the problem is gone, it is caused either by something you did in Reaper (deliberately or by accident) or you had a corrupted download, which seems unlikely.
Once we establish that the new portable works, it is just a case of figuring out what went wrong - assuming you can be bothered to fault find it - or simply moving your projecrts over into the new portable version.

Or the third and best option is to save your projects out separately, completely uninstall the first Reaper and install a new Reaper in the normal way.

Just in case you didnt already do so, download and check out the free User Guide and take a look at the excellent free video tutorials at reaper.fm
And of course come back here if you are still stuck.

Have fun!

Last edited by ivansc; 01-19-2018 at 07:51 AM. Reason: CarpTryping
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
Dave 2099

Thanks a lot! I'll give a portable install a try and let you know what happens.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:04 PM   #6
Dave 2099

I tried to do the portable install but I'm not sure I was successful, as nothing changed. So I uninstalled and reinstalled. First I copied all the Reaper folders/files to a new location and deleted the originals. Reaper now works like new. I guess I picked up something wonky at some point.

I want to reconnect my media, project files, etc. Should I avoid reconnecting any particular types of files, like the .ini files? Anything else I should keep in mind?
Old 01-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #7
ivansc

The likelihood is that you either deliberately or accidentally changed something iN Reaper earlier and that is why you got problems. Easy to do when you first start customising, which is why the portable install is so useful.
I would try adding a project at a time and seeing what issues you encounter.A t least this way you can see what is going on better.