Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 08-11-2021, 04:06 PM   #1
juan_r
Human being with feelings

Default Physical arrangement of live rig: advice needed

This question has little to do with Reaper per se: the info can be applied to any other DAW as well. I do use Reaper, though

I'd like some advice about how to arrange my gear when playing live. In the largest foreseeable setup, I'll have a MIDI keyboard or two in front of me, and a vocal mic. Then I need something to hold the laptop and an Akai MIDImix that I use as a personal submixer/extra controller. I think something like this should work well:

https://www.thomann.de/it/km_12150.htm

Where could I place the rack? It's going to be a small rack (likely 2U or 3U), with the soundcard and a power strip. As close to the laptop as possible would be fine, so I could tweak the knobs if/when needed. Besides, there are going to be a few wires from the rack to the laptop (power, USB, possibly power for an external powered USB hub), so the closer the better.

The default solution is on a stool/chair on the side, but maybe someone has got a better idea?
juan_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 04:46 PM   #2
DaveInIndy

Default Amp stand or standup case

I use a laptop for Reaper and a 4 or 6U rack for my interface. The rack either stands on end on the floor or sets on a cheap amp stand about 18" high, angled up to me. Usually off to my side. I control Reaper with a midi pedal and just glance at the screen to verify it's where I want it. Here is one I use...
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Musicia...4228076968.gc?
DaveInIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 01:48 PM   #3
juan_r

Thanks for the reply, @DaveInIndy. This looks like a nice suggestion. What do you do with your laptop? A solution similar to the pic I linked?
Old 01-11-2022, 08:23 AM   #4
DaveInIndy

Default Layout for live

Sorry for my delay! I've done this a few ways:
1- Interface in a soft rack case on an X style keyboard stand set up 3-4ft high with laptop sitting on the rack case, to the side of the stage, ~4-5ft away. Guitar wireless receiver and in-ear transmitter also in the rack. With a photo in the top track of each song, a quick look confirms I'm in the right spot. Cannot see signal levels or interface lights if they clip, too far to side while singing. Long midi cable to footboard. Laptop is high up, easy to type etc when needed.

2- Same gear but rack on an amp stand, low to stage and tilted up to me, located to stage front, towards corner. Looks better on stage. Can see details better but not well enough (old guy with bifocals), harder to type etc if needed.

3- Current- hard rack case with gear stands on end right in front of my, can monitor interface lights. Laptop on a stand that sits partly above and next to case, all of it low to ground and just to side of mic stand.

I play mostly outdoor gigs where I don't have to worry about 'stage crush' so the laptop is fine up front. Can rig up a sun shade for it, but sun = hard to see screen (same with lyrics on my tablet) regardless of location. Beyond startup and opening each set's files, I don't usually touch the laptop. Not sure I have any pics but maybe of setup 1, will look around and post what I find. Can get a pic of current rig too in my studio.

Dave
Old 01-11-2022, 12:53 PM   #5
juan_r

Hello Dave, thanks for your reply! The delay is immaterial, since I had exactly 4 laptop based gigs in the meantime... not much happening here.

I used to play outdoors as often as indoors, but at night the screen visibility issue is moot.

A pic would be nice, but don't sweat it!

Thanks again
juan_r
Old 01-13-2022, 04:14 PM   #6
DaveInIndy

Default No good live pix

Sorry, none of my band shots have my rig captured in them. This is my rack box now. UMC1820 interface, power, input and output patch panels, space for the in-ears and wireless mics as needed. Hope this link works...

Dave

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...IRNNrIYxUHRjkb
Old 01-13-2022, 04:47 PM   #7
akademie

Hi Dave, could you make photos available for users which do not have Google account, please?
Thanks
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:09 PM   #8
foxAsteria

Just throw em all over the floor and writhe around in the nest of cables like the rockstar that you are. It's what the people want.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:42 PM   #9
DaveInIndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Hi Dave, could you make photos available for users which do not have Google account, please?
Thanks
Is there another free photo site you like?

And foxAsteria...:-)

Dave
Old 01-20-2022, 02:39 PM   #10
DaveInIndy

Default See attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Thanks
Duh, didn't realize I could attach them here if small enough.

I found one shot of my previous rig, but it is barely visible on the edge of a band shot. I cropped it... rack bag sits on a guitar amp stand with the laptop sitting on that, to my right side.

Second shot is my current rack box in my studio. Has the interface, a power strip, and patch bays for inputs and outputs including the midi, USB and Ethernet connections. Extra space is for carrying in-ears and wireless mics if/when needed.

Thx, Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CurrentRack_Small.jpg (49.2 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg DaveRigCloseup_Small.jpg (29.8 KB, 251 views)