Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #1
onewayout
Human being with feelings

Default Issue with Reaper overloading...(KINDA)

I'm saying "KINDA" because it's actually NOT overloading either my computer or the performance meter per file but IT WON'T start a lot of the times and starts a minor stutter...I'm on win 10 i7 16 g 340 blah blah...Version 5.75. I have tried several other versions also all the way up to the latest...but for some reason they newer ones are messing w/my control surface...An issue for another time...I ALSO checked for any BAD VSTS and nothing was fixing the issue..ie turning them off one by one...

So I first noticed it when I did a recommended hack for REAROUTE to get more than 16 outs to sum my mixes thru Mixbus...(which gave me 64 outs right away and was a blessing) Anyway to get my REAROUTE to get more than 16 outs WITHOUT a hack??

Or is this another issue I need to check??

any help would be much appreciated (-:

Jeff
onewayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #2
onewayout

Ok PLZ someone take a look at my issue and tell me where this could be coming from...

I have NEVER had this issue with REAPER except on an inferior system but that was because it was being overloaded...My DRIVE is an SSD BTW....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ckmyfzplx2...21-23.mov?dl=0 VIDEO of Issue

https://www.dropbox.com/s/smf9oadw5dgswmb/CPU.JPG?dl=0 Pic of Performance & PC CPU

Thx, Jeff
Old 08-21-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
foxAsteria

Right click the performance window and show RTCPU. This is the more crucial figure and it can be over 100% while the verall processor usage is still low.

This video explains why:

Increasing channel counts can increase realtime CPU usage, even if nothing passes through those channels.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Right click the performance window and show RTCPU. This is the more crucial figure and it can be over 100% while the verall processor usage is still low.

This video explains why:

Increasing channel counts can increase realtime CPU usage, even if nothing passes through those channels.
Thx foxAsteria great stuff! I realized I have all my projects on a different drive and so far as I copied this newest project over that has been giving me issues ALL IS GOOD! will have to upgrade my other drive to an SSD also...

I'll bring more updates if needed...
Old 08-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayout View Post
Thx foxAsteria great stuff! I realized I have all my projects on a different drive and so far as I copied this newest project over that has been giving me issues ALL IS GOOD! will have to upgrade my other drive to an SSD also...

I'll bring more updates if needed...

OK UPDATE, that didn't do it after all....

I have checked and updated ALL my drivers, re-installed my interface drivers, uninstalled and re-installed anything that looked like it could have been a problem...My windows just updated again today, it is on automatic for updates...

I have been using this PC for 18 months and until about a couple a weeks ago ZERO issues with MUCH larger projects...this is happening now with basically every project I'm opening up...

When REAPER starts stuttering I press stop and let it settle, and even if I try to play a VIDEO on YOUTUBE or my VLC it is stuttering also....without REAPER even running...I have even tried a clean install of REAPER and have had the same issue...

I know this could be a complex issue but if anyone has any more knowledge they could throw my way...PLZ....There was no recent install of any new plug-ins when this showed up, I do not have ANY dodgy VSTs this PC is slimmed down for AUDIO work only...

Thx, Jeff
Old 08-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #6
ivansc

Have you tried downloading & running Resplendence.com`s latency monitor? It will point youi in the right direction if it finds any issues with your computer.

Also, what are you using as a control surface?
Old 08-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #7
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Have you tried downloading & running Resplendence.com`s latency monitor? It will point youi in the right direction if it finds any issues with your computer.

Also, what are you using as a control surface?
Hey Ivan! Thank's for the heads up...here is my latency results.... https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygexdufims...nitor.JPG?dl=0

I've been using NANOKontrol 2 for about a year now along with masterkey 25 for midi learn FX things...

any thoughts about the results?
Old 08-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #8
Philbo King

A second test with Respendence would be to let it run while Reaper is sitting idle, just to see what it says.
Then run it while hitting play and letting it play for a bit.

The results will show problems, but ignore those. Just sort through it to show where the thru-put bottle neck is, as the video mentioned: a wonky hard drive, a badly written driver, whatever.

A guide for tuning windows for DAW work that I've found very helpful:
https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/
Old 08-22-2019, 11:17 AM   #9
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
A second test with Respendence would be to let it run while Reaper is sitting idle, just to see what it says.
Then run it while hitting play and letting it play for a bit.

The results will show problems, but ignore those. Just sort through it to show where the thru-put bottle neck is, as the video mentioned: a wonky hard drive, a badly written driver, whatever.

A guide for tuning windows for DAW work that I've found very helpful:
https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/
Thx Philbo King, that showedme an issue that I started to try to fix through my BIOS and then my Windows 10 got corrupted... So I'm in the mist of backing everything up and reinstalling win 10 and starting again and seeing how that works out! :-)

Thank you everybody for all your direction and help especially with the videos and the software! We'll get this right one way or another! 😉
Old 08-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #10
foxAsteria

Youve got anticipative fx processing on right?
Old 08-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #11
onewayout

Quote:
Youve got anticipative fx processing on right?
Yes I believe so, but right now I'm having to reset my PC so I cannot check.... It should be on right?
Old 08-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #12
foxAsteria

Its one of the more obvious settings in terms of having an immediate and noticeable affect on performance. Yea good to have on
Old 08-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #13
onewayout

Quote:
Its one of the more obvious settings in terms of having an immediate and noticeable affect on performance. Yea good to have on
Great, thx! I'm very close to firing up and testing reaper... Will let you guys know what happens (-:
Old 08-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #14
onewayout

hi Everyone,

So I have done a COMPLETE RESET of Win 10 and wiped my files after BU...a complete CLEAN install of Reaper with NO FRILLS on a Samsung SSD 500 HD

This has been the common message I have been getting... https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ehiaakylk...y%202.JPG?dl=0

My last time I did this with a TOTALLY clean install with just my waves vsts no SD3 or VSTI bass....It was working well until I got a teamviewer call during the testing...This time it said I SHOULD CHECK MY WLAN AND added the same cpu issue throttle thing was coming up...https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ksnce2el0...t%203.PNG?dl=0 I'm thinking the teamviewer call messed with the latency meter...ANYWAYS...I'm wondering if any one has had this and what their solution was....I did my CPU throttling settings and there was no issue and checked the bios but my Bios card is from 2013 and there were no updates on their website for this model at all....

Last edited by onewayout; 08-23-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #15
foxAsteria

Nvidia cards are problematic with audio. If your driver is up to date you can get some extra performance by setting a 3d config in the nvidia control panel for reaper. There's a setting for "optimize computing" or something like that.

I'm about to give up gaming and sell the damn thing, I'm sick it.

You can also disable high precision event timer and then check this guide if you haven't: https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/

I've had good luck with Driver Booster (uninstall it afterward). It catches some driver updates that Windows misses, but make sure you create a system restore point first.

If you're on a laptop, you'll probably need to disable the wireless adapter in device manager while you work, if it's showing up in LatencyMon.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #16
onewayout

Quote:
Nvidia cards are problematic with audio. If your driver is up to date you can get some extra performance by setting a 3d config in the nvidia control panel for reaper. There's a setting for "optimize computing" or something like that.

I'm about to give up gaming and sell the damn thing, I'm sick it.

You can also disable high precision event timer and then check this guide if you haven't: https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/

I've had good luck with Driver Booster (uninstall it afterward). It catches some driver updates that Windows misses, but make sure you create a system restore point first.

If you're on a laptop, you'll probably need to disable the wireless adapter in device manager while you work, if it's showing up in LatencyMon.
Thx foxAsteria for hanging in there with this...I'm not a gamer so you would know more about this than I...I did buy this from a gamer though...It's been a stable unit for over 19 months now...

ANYWAYS...I disabled the High precision event timer thing for performance, I downloaded and Driver booster and upgraded everything they suggested, Downloaded the newest NVIDIA update from the 19th of this month, I did everything on the NVIDIA card you suggested I believe... https://www.dropbox.com/s/40614laige...VIDIA.mov?dl=0 Plz let me know if u see something I missed..

I also downloaded REIMAGE pc repair and it said my PC was running fine... https://www.dropbox.com/s/xc0t3iheov...epair.mov?dl=0

This is getting weird.....
Old 08-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #17
foxAsteria

I mentioned the nvidia because it's showing up with the highest dpc in your image. Mine runs about half that, which is still higher than I'd like. When I disable it in device manager I can get it down around 100.

Dedicated GPU is 99.999% not necessary for audio work. Unless of course your motherboard has no video ports.

I take it you're still having issues?

Another thing you can try is to ensure Reaper is the only thing using the audio device. If you right click the speaker icon on your taskbar and go to sound devices, you can set Windows to default to the motherboard audio. Fully disabling ;there any unused audio like hdmi can help as well.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #18
onewayout

Quote:
I mentioned the nvidia because it's showing up with the highest dpc in your image. Mine runs about half that, which is still higher than I'd like. When I disable it in device manager I can get it down around 100.

Dedicated GPU is 99.999% not necessary for audio work. Unless of course your motherboard has no video ports.

I take it you're still having issues?

Another thing you can try is to ensure Reaper is the only thing using the audio device. If you right click the speaker icon on your taskbar and go to sound devices, you can set Windows to default to the motherboard audio. Fully disabling ;there any unused audio like hdmi can help as well.
Ok Everyone, I finally found the culprit...It was the updated drivers for my Behringer UMC 404HD...I actually had to go back to my original 2016 drivers TWO updates ago (I still had installer left in my dropbox PTL)sooo hopes this might help someone down the road...The only thing I can think of is that some win 10 update with some of my software didn't play well together..but ALL is well after a day and a half!!