Old 11-09-2019, 11:19 PM   #1
nait
Human being with feelings

Default Cyberpunk / Soundtrack song

For the electronic music listeners...

This is my first full song produced in Reaper. I'm fairly amateur, and this is my first time in the cyberpunk genre. I tend to be pretty guarded about sharing my music, but have at 'er. Only way I'll learn is from feedback!

I've been butchering mixing for a while and focusing on that aspect of music production more lately, so hopefully this isn't too bad. Comments definitely welcome/appreciated.

NullRef - Remember Citadel (Soundcloud)
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 11-19-2019 at 11:22 AM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:20 AM   #2
Dimaension X

I'm hearing this as a video game intro ... cool. It does sound a bit "mono" or dry? When the "break" comes in, I can hear the main synth a bit to the left, and as it builds, the other synth to the right comes in, so maybe a bit more stereo separation, but also maybe a bit more variety of synth sound so the separation is more noticeable?

maybe add some delays to add to the "motion" of the sound.

But I do like this kind of music a lot. I love using synths to create a mood that you cannot get with guitars. Very good job for a first time user.
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
Cool! Thanks.

And nice name, NullRef, I really like that
Old 11-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaension X View Post
I'm hearing this as a video game intro ... cool. It does sound a bit "mono" or dry? When the "break" comes in, I can hear the main synth a bit to the left, and as it builds, the other synth to the right comes in, so maybe a bit more stereo separation, but also maybe a bit more variety of synth sound so the separation is more noticeable?

maybe add some delays to add to the "motion" of the sound.

But I do like this kind of music a lot. I love using synths to create a mood that you cannot get with guitars. Very good job for a first time user.
Yeah, I've always struggled with stereo separation and not sure why! My tunes tend to sound a little choked off. Maybe I just need to hard pan some parts or something? I'll experiment with more delay too. I did mono a lot of the bass end, but maybe I've killed to much of the stereo of the higher end. I'll also add some variety/motion to the synths too.

That's exactly the kind of feedback I needed though, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Cool! Thanks.

And nice name, NullRef, I really like that
Thank you!
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 11-10-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
Judders

I thought it was great. You really nailed those synth sounds, and the percussion in the first section really drive it. Nothing wrong with the mix as far as I can hear, maybe the second section could do with "opening up" a bit more and getting a bit more space around the lead. I think the first section works more dry, but the second could do with getting wetter and more dreamy... if you know what I mean.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #6
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I thought it was great. You really nailed those synth sounds, and the percussion in the first section really drive it. Nothing wrong with the mix as far as I can hear, maybe the second section could do with "opening up" a bit more and getting a bit more space around the lead. I think the first section works more dry, but the second could do with getting wetter and more dreamy... if you know what I mean.
That made me blush! Thanks This is also some really good advice. I think what you say and what Dimaension X also says can both be right. That later part is probably a good opportunity to explore more stereo space, with a lot less going on here.

I'll revisit that 2nd section. I think I rushed that a little bit. I get a bit bored of working on a song over and over (which makes it tough to complete something). I've enjoyed working on this one, and I think your idea of making it more 'dreamy' is bang on. Excellent idea, and there are already some thoughts bouncing around my head on that. That'll take some time probably, but I'll post an update later when I've had some time to do that.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #7
Judders

Cool, I look forward to hearing it!
Old 11-11-2019, 09:31 PM   #8
nait

Alrighty.. dreamy.. I think this is dreamy, at least the way I envisioned it.

I like this "second act", so to speak, a fair bit better than what I had in the previous version, which really was just a repetition of the "first act" with some instruments taken away. It's sort of rubato, and I am not sure if it is going to be too spacey or too slow paced for anyone else to really like.. but I again welcome any feedback.

Same link as above works, but here it is again:

NullRef - Remember Citadel

Last edited by nait; 11-11-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:12 AM   #9
Judders

Yeah, that's a lot more interesting. Good stuff!
Old 11-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #10
nait

Thanks for listening and replying, Judders!