Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings
 
Glennbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,948
Default Support Your Linux Plugin Developers!

I just bought U-he's Presswerk vintage mastering compressor. I did a search for a U-he coupon code and found there is a survey that will give you a 15% off coupon code at the end. I've been wanting this one for a while to replace the Windows plugin PSP Vintage Warmer, so this knocks one of the very last Windows audio plugins I still used out of the Linux arena.

__________________
Glennbo
Hear My Music - Click Me!!!
--
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:25 PM   #2
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings
 
Jack Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Luxembourg/Spain
Posts: 1,787
Default

I'm more than happy with this, a very versatile compressor!
__________________
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040,etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:21 AM   #3
Glennbo
Human being with feelings
 
Glennbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I'm more than happy with this, a very versatile compressor!
After diving in with it last night, I am even more impressed. Some of the stand out features I like and will most definitely use are it's adjustable HP filter, which is only applied to dry signal that will be mixed with compressed when using parallel compression. I could instantly hear how using that on a vocal or acoustic guitar could put back the sheen that gets lost with moderate to heavy compression.

I am also very impressed with U-he's implementation of saturation where the controls allow a master for saturation plus a control that applies it to the signal only when it's crossed the threshold for dynamics, and a warmth control that only applies it to high frequencies for smoothing out transient spikes.

This is a deep and involved plugin that I am very happy to have in my toolbox. BTW, here a link to the survey I mentioned where you get a 15% off coupon at the end for filling it out. It's still good till September 10th.

https://survey.sogosurvey.com/survey...P&lang=0&data=
__________________
Glennbo
Hear My Music - Click Me!!!
--
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:08 AM   #4
citizenkeith
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I just bought U-he's Presswerk vintage mastering compressor. I did a search for a U-he coupon code and found there is a survey that will give you a 15% off coupon code at the end. I've been wanting this one for a while to replace the Windows plugin PSP Vintage Warmer, so this knocks one of the very last Windows audio plugins I still used out of the Linux arena.

Thanks for posting this! I too am looking for a good replacement for Vintage Warmer. When I bought it, PSP just used a simple key file but now they utilize iLok. I’ll be sure to try this one out!
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:58 AM   #5
Glennbo
Human being with feelings
 
Glennbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
Thanks for posting this! I too am looking for a good replacement for Vintage Warmer. When I bought it, PSP just used a simple key file but now they utilize iLok. I’ll be sure to try this one out!
Shaping tone is different than the Vintage Warmer's straight forward bass and treble controls, but it's actually king of cool the way Presswerk does it through a HP filter on dry signal that can be blended with compressed signal.

The default preset gives a mix a bit of a bump in volume and a bit of saturation to smooth things over. Last night when trying it, I used REAPER's replace FX option and swapped out Vintage Warmers with Presswerk during playback. On some projects, their stock default preset was close enough to the sound I was using with Vintage Warmer that there was almost no difference in when it switched.

Oh, and as for iLok . . . On the Windows side of my dual boot machine I uninstalled the last iLok protected plugin I still was using plus all the iLok/PACE software needed to run it. Since I'm only spending my hard earned cash on plugins that natively support Linux now, I've replaced all of them that used iLok/Pace with other high quality plugs like this one. iLok dongle lives in the desk drawer now where it belongs.
__________________
Glennbo
Hear My Music - Click Me!!!
--

Last edited by Glennbo; 09-04-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
citizenkeith
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Oh, and as for iLok . . . On the Windows side of my dual boot machine I uninstalled the last iLok protected plugin I still was using plus all the iLok/PACE software needed to run it. Since I'm only spending my hard earned cash on plugins that natively support Linux now, I've replaced all of them that used iLok/Pace with other high quality plugs like this one. iLok dongle lives in the desk drawer now where it belongs.
That's great news.

I've avoided iLok/Pace for a while now, but I'm getting to the point where I just might have to buy an iLok for Pro Tools. I have some clients that like to take PT projects with them after their session (for additional overdubbing, then to a mixing engineer). I'm sick of spending hours the after the session prepping all our work in Reaper before it hits AA Translator. But also, our new PC at the studio will not touch the internet, if I can help it.
So the only way I'll be able to run it is with an iLok.

Sell me yours?
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #7
Glennbo
Human being with feelings
 
Glennbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
That's great news.

I've avoided iLok/Pace for a while now, but I'm getting to the point where I just might have to buy an iLok for Pro Tools. I have some clients that like to take PT projects with them after their session (for additional overdubbing, then to a mixing engineer). I'm sick of spending hours the after the session prepping all our work in Reaper before it hits AA Translator. But also, our new PC at the studio will not touch the internet, if I can help it.
So the only way I'll be able to run it is with an iLok.

Sell me yours?
If I were still selling time in my studio I would not have switched to Linux, or retired my iLok plugins. I do really like Lexicon's and SoundToys reverb algorithms, but there are other reverbs I can achieve pretty much the same sound from that are also native Linux.

I do plan to keep the old iLok as it has a number of licenses on it that one day I may opt to reactivate. Just not currently.

BTW, my copy of Vintage Warmer can be linked to an iLok, but also a simple serial number, which is the way I have it currently installed. I did NOT do the last upgrade with them, as v2.3.1 added more latency which I wasn't thrilled with. I was even keeping the earlier super light drag one installed so I could use it on an every track basis if I wanted.
__________________
Glennbo
Hear My Music - Click Me!!!
--
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:24 PM   #8
Peevy
Human being with feelings
 
Peevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 487
Default

Thanks for the reminder. Got an email about it last week but totally forgot.


Think I'll be going for colour copy with the code, I've tried the demo & it's a really great delay. Something there's not too much of in the linux vst format.


As good as Presswerk is, it's a bit out of my budget right now & I've been pretty happy using Reacomp & LSP compressor which is pretty great.
__________________
System: Mobo-Asus Prime Z370P II, CPU-i7 8700K, RAM-32gb DDR4 3000mhz, GPU AMD RX580 OS: Manjaro Linux
Soundcard:
Komplete Audio 6 Monitors: Adam A5X
Peevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
Glennbo
Human being with feelings
 
Glennbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
Thanks for the reminder. Got an email about it last week but totally forgot.


Think I'll be going for colour copy with the code, I've tried the demo & it's a really great delay. Something there's not too much of in the linux vst format.


As good as Presswerk is, it's a bit out of my budget right now & I've been pretty happy using Reacomp & LSP compressor which is pretty great.
I did ponder getting one of their lesser expensive plugins, but I've really wanted Presswerk for a while, so I just bit the bullet and bought it.

In the survey I did answer one of the questions with a response like "your plugins are great but kind of pricey" then suggested they un-bundle the Uhbik suite because I would buy a few of those if they sold them separately, but the bundle price is too high for what I would actually use from it.
__________________
Glennbo
Hear My Music - Click Me!!!
--
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
Glennbo
Human being with feelings
 
Glennbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,948
Default

So I recorded a little test jam to both get a feel for using Presswerk on parts I played and recorded, and to see just how much CPU I'd burn running multiple instances of it. This test has a track of my five string bass, seven tracks of acoustic drums, and a track of guitar.

There are eleven tracks and 28 FX in total. Ten of them are instances of Presswerk. Total CPU with a ten year old i5 and a new Behringer UMC1820 hit 26.3% max CPU use. With all ten instances of Presswerk removed the project plays with a max 20.4% CPU use.

Here's the result of that test.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=13917988
__________________
Glennbo
Hear My Music - Click Me!!!
--
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:54 PM   #11
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 408
Default

a heads-up: this coupon can be used repeatedly, no restrictions
beyond your wallet or plastic. Sort of a lucky break for us customers,
as U-he email provider was having issues, apparently ea$ier to just
let people have at it, than babysit the buyers...
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:56 PM   #12
Glennbo
Human being with feelings
 
Glennbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
a heads-up: this coupon can be used repeatedly, no restrictions
beyond your wallet or plastic. Sort of a lucky break for us customers,
as U-he email provider was having issues, apparently ea$ier to just
let people have at it, than babysit the buyers...
Cheers
My credit card didn't want to hear that!

I am totally digging Presswerk. The quick three piece band test I posted above gave me a real good idea what to expect out of it.
__________________
Glennbo
Hear My Music - Click Me!!!
--
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:18 PM   #13
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 7,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
apparently ea$ier to just let people have at it, than babysit the buyers...
That obviously is true.

But unfortunately the work that needs to be done to create a decent Linux version of Kontakt is by far too huge to fit that paradigm.

And the availability of Kontakt obviously is a mission critical issue for Linux to get accepted in the DAW world.

(Of course this needs to support allowing to use all (payed and free) 3rd party Kontakt libraries. I suppose this would require not to do a Kontakt workalike, but to do a dedicated "out of the box" usable Linux wrapper for Kontakt and Native Access.)

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-05-2019 at 06:36 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:43 PM   #14
Glennbo
Human being with feelings
 
Glennbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
That obviously is true.

But unfortunately the work that needs to be done to create a decent Linux version of Kontakt is by far too huge to fit that paradigm.

And the availability of Kontakt obviously is a mission critical issue for Linux to get accepted in the DAW world.

(Of course this needs to support allowing to use all (payed and free) 3rd party Kontakt libraries. I suppose this would require not to do a Kontakt workalike, but to do a dedicated "out of the box" usable Linux wrapper for Kontakt and Native Access.)

-Michael
For Linux to be accepted into the DAW world can't necessarily be gauged by the dependence on Kontakt IMHO. I'm personally loving Linux as my DAW platform, but I record mostly real instruments and use things like Kontakt as support for those real instruments. IOW Kontakt plays second fiddle to the real instruments from my point of view.

I am of course only one vote in a vast sea of other points of view, but I am no longer supporting any plugin developers who don't offer native Linux VSTs with my money. BTW, I'm loving what I was able to accomplish just playing old school bass, guitar, and acoustic drums in the test music I posted to give Presswerk a spin.

Edit:

What I am loving about Presswerk. I am able to get articulation on instruments using it that is otherwise fairly elusive. When I started playing with it on the room mic of the acoustic drums, the intricate stuff began to pop out where it could be heard.
__________________
Glennbo
Hear My Music - Click Me!!!
--

Last edited by Glennbo; 09-04-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:29 AM   #15
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,105
Default

I'm not recording at all, so Bitwig and along with The Grid was like, ok, so Linux just got a native The Grid? ohh-fantastic!
U-he's stuff seems to work so and samplepacks is obviously Linux compatible, reamixing in REAPER no problemo hmm, shame the Valhalla dude don't master Linux speak, he did not say hell no to Linux at least, he simply can't.
__________________
:)
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #16
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
a heads-up: this coupon can be used repeatedly, no restrictions
beyond your wallet or plastic. Sort of a lucky break for us customers,
as U-he email provider was having issues, apparently ea$ier to just
let people have at it, than babysit the buyers...
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
That obviously is true.

But unfortunately the work that needs to be done to create a decent Linux version of Kontakt is by far too huge to fit that paradigm.

And the availability of Kontakt obviously is a mission critical issue for Linux to get accepted in the DAW world.

(Of course this needs to support allowing to use all (payed and free) 3rd party Kontakt libraries. I suppose this would require not to do a Kontakt workalike, but to do a dedicated "out of the box" usable Linux wrapper for Kontakt and Native Access.)

-Michael
The context you refer to had nothing to do with Kontakt,
just that the email issues making the 'normal'
U-he coupon management were 'not worth the trouble',
this time around. Hope people will find some soundsets,
instruments, and effects, to enhance their productions.

As for Kontakt, wine and linvst devs, are making it easier
for linux users to successfully install and register
Native Instruments products in general.
I will test the wine-staging 4.15 soon,
which might further improve things, based on a non-coding laymans
glance at the changelog.
Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 09-05-2019 at 11:31 AM. Reason: clarity
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:12 PM   #17
SmajjL
Human being with feelings
 
SmajjL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,105
Default

Just like Steam Play Proton, think this is just as important and cool if you/they can pull it off so Linux can just say, yes you can, welcome if you want.
__________________
:)
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.