Old 07-15-2017, 01:02 AM   #1
David38
Human being with feelings

Default Roland HS-5

Hi,

I am using a Roland HS-5 for silent rehearsals at home. I find it very convenient and versatile. Does anyone have any idea how to use it with Reaper? I tried to play with the audio set-up options, but in vain. I also browsed the internet in order to find some kind of tutorial, but I couldn't find anything.

Can anyone help me out? Any hint/trick/link welcome!

Thanks,

David
David38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:41 AM   #2
sisaso

Welcome to the forum,
I don't own this piece of equipment but I think I can help you run thru the installation for using reaper with it. Assuming you are on Win 10 and you have an Internet connection.Right?

Installation of the Roland/Asio Driver

Disconnect all USB devices except keyboard and mouse, and then start Windows.
Check that the computer is connected to the Internet.
On Windows, close the "Sound" settings screen of the Control Panel and all running applications.
Turn on the power of HS-5 and connect it to the computer using a USB cable.
The driver will be installed automatically.
After several minutes, click the start button and then click "All apps".
Open the Roland folder. If the "HS-5" icon is displayed, the installation is completed.

Next comes the set up in Reaper. Please report back, when you have installed the driver.

Last edited by sisaso; 07-15-2017 at 02:01 AM.
sisaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:24 AM   #3
BlessedOne72

Quote:
Originally Posted by David38 View Post
Hi,

I am using a Roland HS-5 for silent rehearsals at home. I find it very convenient and versatile. Does anyone have any idea how to use it with Reaper? I tried to play with the audio set-up options, but in vain. I also browsed the internet in order to find some kind of tutorial, but I couldn't find anything.

Can anyone help me out? Any hint/trick/link welcome!

Thanks,

David
After you've installed the HS-5 Driver (ASIO-Driver is installed at the same time)
Go to Reaper's / Prefs (Ctrl-P) ... on The left side of the prefs window there's this Device subcategory under Audio Settings .
From there you can select the Audio system, where you should select ASIO and the HS-5 driver as the ASIO Driver . You can also select the I/O you'd like to use (;

This all should be very straight forward ...

/ Toni .
BlessedOne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #4
David38

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your help. The HS-5 driver was properly downloaded and installed when I first connected the HS-5 to my PC (done automatically since using Win10).

I followed the path Options/Preferences/Device and selected 'ASIO Driver' = 'HS-5'.
My issue was that the drop-down menus under 'Enable inputs' and 'Output range' were empty and Reaper displayed an error message saying:
"There was an error opening the audio hardware: Error initializing ASIO driver"

I ended up downloading the driver called ASIO4ALL and selected 'ASIO Driver' = 'ASIO4ALL v2' under Options/Preferences/Device. I am now able to select the right inputs and outputs.

One thing that still bothers me is the fact that I need to re-do the selection each time I turn the HS-5 off an on. But anyway, still a major progress today vs. where I was yesterday ;-)

Thanks a lot guys. I hope this will help other users. Will keep trouble-shoot and post any findings here...

Rgds,

David
Old 07-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
BlessedOne72

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your help. The HS-5 driver was properly downloaded and installed when I first connected the HS-5 to my PC (done automatically since using Win10).

I followed the path Options/Preferences/Device and selected 'ASIO Driver' = 'HS-5'.
My issue was that the drop-down menus under 'Enable inputs' and 'Output range' were empty and Reaper displayed an error message saying:
"There was an error opening the audio hardware: Error initializing ASIO driver"

I ended up downloading the driver called ASIO4ALL and selected 'ASIO Driver' = 'ASIO4ALL v2' under Options/Preferences/Device. I am now able to select the right inputs and outputs.

One thing that still bothers me is the fact that I need to re-do the selection each time I turn the HS-5 off an on. But anyway, still a major progress today vs. where I was yesterday ;-)

Thanks a lot guys. I hope this will help other users. Will keep trouble-shoot and post any findings here...

Rgds,

David
As an owner of the HS-5 myself I know there is no need to use ASIO4ALL or any other such .

The only time for me the drop-down selections being empty is when something has "hogged" the HS-5's drivers and the only way to solve this is to restart the PC / MAC . You can see this in the HS-5's control panel as it sees the device as device 2, though there is only one device connected .

ASIO4ALL is meant as a generic low-latency driver for devices, which don't have a "manufacturer" coded ASIO-driver . You seriously should use the Roland's own ASIO-driver . Using this you can select, which channels / IO to use .

/ Toni
Old 07-15-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
David38

Hi,

It looks like we faced the exact same issue. I restarted my PC several times but in vain. I'll follow your recommendation though and re-install everything, though i was able to select which channels / IO to use with ASIO4ALL.
What "hogged" the HS-5's driver in your case?

Thx!

David
Old 07-16-2017, 01:22 AM   #7
BlessedOne72

Quote:
Hi,

It looks like we faced the exact same issue. I restarted my PC several times but in vain. I'll follow your recommendation though and re-install everything, though i was able to select which channels / IO to use with ASIO4ALL.
What "hogged" the HS-5's driver in your case?

Thx!

David
Hi ... (;

links are some images to illustrate the HS-5 Settings on my computer / Reaper .

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7d...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7d...ew?usp=sharing

check this thread for the "Hogging syndrome" ...

http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/f...read-2357.html

/ Toni S .

Last edited by BlessedOne72; 07-16-2017 at 01:49 AM.