Old 01-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
JeffreyET
Human being with feelings

Default Windows 10 and Thunderbolt

So I've been keeping my eye on the horizon for new developments here, and I actually busted a move for the computer side of this system. For the audio interface, my ideal list of features that doesn't yet exist is:
Windows 10/thunderbolt compatible
Good preamp sound quality, 2-4 inputs
Under $300
Interface Cable powered (no wall wart)

There are devices that that are 2/4 or reaching towards 3/4 of these (i.e Focusrite Clarett, Resident Audio), but does anyone see anything coming that is 4/4?
Old 01-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
karbomusic

What's the need for Thunderbolt?
Old 01-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
JeffreyET

I/O speed >> lower latency. Even with direct monitoring & all FX bypassed, USB still has perceptible delay when multi-tracking.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
karbomusic

Hmm.. I ask because I think it's asking for compatibility problems. I can easily run 64 samples latency with i7 and USB2 and record 22 simultaneous tracks at higher latencies - maybe more but that is all the inputs I have. I could potentially handle lower than 64 samples, but my Fireface UFX doesn't go any lower. That being said IME the better sound card will likely get you better latency than the protocol used.

Not harping on RME I just know they do very good at this, hence my results above where other cheaper sound cards depend on more class compliant/rebranded drivers which tend to be slower and cause more issues.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
JeffreyET

Yes compatibility is one of the prime issues on my list, as TB was originally developed for Apple. One reason I'm keeping my peepers open for further development...because I won't buy what's available now. As for extracting better performance from USB-2 by upgrading to a professional interface, I'm an amateur/cheapskate/hobbyist - with time to wait for a product that leapfrogs to the next protocol without leaving small-fry consumers behind (:
Old 01-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
serr

For the required low latency for a live performance or live sound rig, there are a lot of older firewire units available. Thunderbolt accessories are still a little bit cutting edge and high dollar. You might find a lot more bang for the buck with a firewire unit. The bottom line is meeting your minimum latency need to make live performance possible and you can find that in many last generation products. (Even in some of the higher end USB models.)

Think of TB as the workaround for more portable machines that don't have a pci cage (but for a price).
serr is online now   Reply With Quote