Old 06-19-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
Tesgin
Human being with feelings

Default LUFS Metering and Panning Law

So I think I figured out my problem, but would like some input.

I just started dabbling with LUFS metering, using Youlean Loudeness Meter 2. Came upon what I thought was a glitch, but got the same results with dpmeter2. So here it is ...

I mixed a song to LUFS -14 integrated with short-term max of 0.0. Cool. However, when I play it back it has a perceived loudness clearly 4-5 dB lower than other songs I've mixed to LUFS -14 integrated.

Loaded my mp3 into Youlean's online loudness meter to test, and indeed, it is LUFS -18 integrated.

Turns out that what I believe to be the problem is my panning law, which on THIS project was set to -4.5. So Youlean and dpmeter2 appear to be thrown off by the panning law adjustment: the metering in REAPER (with both plugins) shows a LUFS of -14, uninfluenced by the panning law; the output mp3 shows the LUFS after the panning law cut is applied.

So I modified the panning law to boost the pans instead of cut the center by 4 dB, and now the output file shows the same LUFS -14 as the meters in REAPER.

Is this a glitch? Both dpmeter2 and Youlean show the same readings. Am I seeing things properly?

I "think" I should be okay with the adjustment above. Thoughts?

Tesgin
Tesgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #2
RDBOIS
Banned

If I remember correctly I have mine set to zero. I think people use value depending on their monitoring system/room specs, so that a mono out is balances with one speaker out -- something like that...

If you have it at -4 then yes you would need to compensate at the pan pot (increase) to get to merge with Youlean.

Perhaps it is odd that you need to boost it pass zero?

I'll let someone else fill in the details.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #3
Dr Bob

Just a thought. Try checking a .wav file rendering rather than an mp3 …

dB
Dr Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
mlprod

There is nothing strange here, what you did (boost pans) is the correct way to get around this if you want to work with stereo files and have them be unaffected by the pan law setting.