Old 03-14-2018, 07:45 AM   #1
magwa101
Human being with feelings

Default Folder routing

Folder routing is unclear and some hints should be added to the interface to indicate that a routing loop has been detected.

Folder tracks will route their audio and midi to contained child tracks. If you are routing either audio or midi to the Folder track and expecting it to get to the child tracks it will silently fail because it is a routing loop. The routing loop is because all child tracks silently route audio and midi to their parent folders.

You can still open routing and try to send the data elsewhere but the routing loop with the folder overrides all the child track routing.

There should be some warning of this behavior. It silently disables features (routing) that should apparently be working.
magwa101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:00 AM   #2
Gianfini

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwa101 View Post

Folder tracks will route their audio and midi to contained child tracks.
No. Folders don't route to children tracks. It's the contrary.

Why would you want to route other tracks to a folder track?

It's just child track route their output to the folder (parent) track and not to the stereo output, that's it. There's no case for a loop at all...

Hope it helps

G
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:59 AM   #3
magwa101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
No. Folders don't route to children tracks. It's the contrary.

Why would you want to route other tracks to a folder track?

It's just child track route their output to the folder (parent) track and not to the stereo output, that's it. There's no case for a loop at all...

Hope it helps

G
You're right in that Folder (parent) tracks do not route to the children. But children route midi to the parent even if you tell the child to route midi elsewhere, it does that routing in addition to sending midi to the parent.

I wanted to have a VST on the parent, and send the VST audio to some children then route the audio back up through the parent. Reaper detects this as a Midi loop (child to parent) and shuts down both audio and midi routes from child to parent to remove the loop. I think there should be a warning that this loop has been detected.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #4
Masi

Quote:
You're right in that Folder (parent) tracks do not route to the children. But children route midi to the parent even if you tell the child to route midi elsewhere, it does that routing in addition to sending midi to the parent.
Then you need to untick the "Parent send" checbox in the roting configuration of the child track.

It's checked by default and will route audio and MIDI from children automaticall to their parent track. If unchecked the default routing is disabled.

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:01 AM   #5
magwa101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
Then you need to untick the "Parent send" checbox in the roting configuration of the child track.

It's checked by default and will route audio and MIDI from children automaticall to their parent track. If unchecked the default routing is disabled.

Masi
That stops audio routing, but does not stop midi routing.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
sievr

folder track should be higher and have space between other tracks
sievr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
Masi

Quote:
That stops audio routing, but does not stop midi routing.
I checked before I posted my answer and again right now. When i disable "send to parent" no MIDI is routed from the child to the parent. Perhaps you have some other routing setup as well.

Masi
Old 03-29-2018, 06:13 AM   #8
Gianfini

Quote:
I wanted to have a VST on the parent, and send the VST audio to some children then route the audio back up through the parent. Reaper detects this as a Midi loop (child to parent) and shuts down both audio and midi routes from child to parent to remove the loop. I think there should be a warning that this loop has been detected.
The point is why you need to do this cumbersome routing at all...

anyway I assume you meant a VSTi on the parent with a midi item, then sending to a child track that does "something" (e.g. a VST like a compressor in it) and getting the processed audio back to the parent...
Maybe it's possible playing with various routing options but why don't you simply put the midi on a separate Track with VSTi instead of the parent track and sending back to the Children?

g

g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:52 AM   #9
Masi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
anyway I assume you meant a VSTi on the parent with a midi item, then sending to a child track that does "something" (e.g. a VST like a compressor in it) and getting the processed audio back to the parent...
I didn't mean that. I mean that disabling parent send on a child track works for both audio and MIDI.

When I don't add processors on the same track I usually have a separate MIDI track with the VSTi and VST FSx either on the parent track (default routing) or sibling tracks (manual routing).

Works well for me and isn't cumbersome.

BTW, I still don't get the point of your request. MIDI is routed exactly like audio, ie by default a child track sends to its parent track.

Masi