Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
lovelyzoo
Human being with feelings

Default How to fit reaper's grid to imported sample?

I have added a drum loop to a new project. It has 8 bars + 1 beat, i.e. it's 33 beats long. Upon import, Reaper has interpreted the sample as being 4 bars long.

I want to adjust Reaper's grid to match the first eight bars of the sample. Note that I don't want to time-stretch the audio initially. I've therefore followed Kenny's 'Tempo Mapping' tutorial and done the following:

(1) Set the timebase for items/envelopes/markers to Time
(2) Split the sample into two items, one for the 8 bars, one for the 33rd beat
(3) Double click the 8 bar item thereby creating a time selection that covers it.
(4) Insert->Measure from time selection (new time signature)
(5) In the 'Edit Time Signature' dialog I enter 8 bars.

I expect this operation to resize the grid to match the selected 8 bars, instead the grid still matches the 33 beats. The only change that occurs is that the section selected now has its BPM increased.

What am I doing wrong here?
lovelyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
Eliseat

It seems that your time selection doesn't fit the 8 bars. Please make sure it only covers the 8 bars and not more because double clicking the ruler selects the whole range of the project.

There is no magic behind it. It works like expected for me and I can't imagine what went wrong for you. Only thing could be the time selection. When you imported the drum loop Reaper didn't count any beats it just guessed from the length of the file where it would fit the best. If your loop isn't even (like 33 bars) this wont work. Try to import the file without any tempo matching and make the measure from time selection again.

As already mentioned. This works very well and easy:

Hope you get it to work properly.
Greetings
Eli
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #3
lovelyzoo

Hi Eli,
This works a treat, thanks. I'm not sure what my problem was yesterday, although I think step (2), splitting off the 33rd beat might have had some bearing on the problem.
lovelyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote