Old 08-08-2017, 02:03 AM   #3561
lb0
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusrite View Post
I'm testing how the stripper is saved in a project. I'm getting this message when trying to open a saved project.

Missing file:

LBX/LBXCS_resources/projsave/unnamed_project.lbxstripper__
Hmmm- this one happens occasionally - and normally when a project is saved for the first time after stripper has been closed (or if script window left open and a project is closed and saved via closing Reaper down).

Anyway - to try to retrieve the data - you can go into the ... menu and down to script data and try to load manually from there (or from a backup).

The saving of data is fairly robust - but there are occasions where it trips up.

Safest thing to do is always save and name a project before closing down stripper script. Also - set up back up saving (from settings) - and regularly hit the SAVE button on the top bar (or via Ctrl+S).

The main thing that breaks it is closing Reaper with stripper script still open - and choosing save project when reaper closes - this method does not seem to give the script time to save its data before everything closes - and data gets lost. So either close stripper before closing the project - or make sure you hit ctrl+S before closing reaper. This normally ensures data gets saved properly.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:09 AM   #3562
lb0

Quote:
I'm thinking to create strips for each plugin I use. Currently If I drag one on screen and then drag another in and it overlaps then they fuse together and I can't separate or delete them easily. I've made changes to single strips on a page with more than 1 strip only to find the whole page saved instead of the single strip. I don't know what I'm missing there as I'm slowly reading every post from the beginning to get up to speed but it seems the easiest way to delete 1 item is to go to the reaper fx window and do it there.

So because of that I thought it a good idea to separate each strip interface to a separate page and add them through a project as needed. So the first scenario is good. Drag the page change button onto the strip in question and then rename it to correspond with where its going. E.g. Compressor strip now has an Eq button to go straight to the eq page. The eq strip has a button to come back etc.. Thanks for your time, much appreciated.
Yeah - I need to implement saving a subset of what's on the page. Currently - you will always save a whole page of controls to a strip file. So if you need to tweak or edit a strip file - best to load it onto it's own page or track... I have some ideas and will be improving things a little soon.

I'm afraid that although the generally overall idea is pretty simple - the learning curve can get quite steep depending on what you want to do - but mainly because I've tried to keep it as versatile as possible so that it can be used for all sorts of uses. But sounds like you're well on your way to working out how you want to use it
Old 08-08-2017, 02:46 AM   #3563
OPI

Hey guys, really amazing work here. I would like to start diving in but i was wondering if there are any kind of preset strips? Im afraid im rather dumb with computers and would like to start using this as maybe a part of my workflow. Thanks for any tips guys
OPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:45 AM   #3564
timbralzoom

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to help out and I followed your link from the sonic charge forum to youtube to here as I'd never heard of stripper till a few days ago. I've also noticed you have bank files for M-tonic. If I might ask how did you create these?
i glad to hear, welcome then!

uTonic Programs part a little tricky
short story:
unfortunately uTonic supports just 16 program slots: Midi Program Change...as you may know..
tricky part is combining-hosting uTonic in Freestyle (Newsonicarts)
that you can import/collect all uTonic presets as Freestyle Snapshots..
in my setup there is 23 uTonics (multi out) inside the 23 Freestyles (also multi out)
and 128 snapshot/preset per instance of Freestyle
since Freestyle supports Midi Program Change to switch its snapshots
means you have hundreds of uTonic presets ready to access all the time
in Stripper term this means: save & recall them as you want
just put Program Change parameter in your Strip ..ready to go!
timbralzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:21 AM   #3565
focusrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbralzoom View Post
i glad to hear, welcome then!

uTonic Programs part a little tricky
short story:
unfortunately uTonic supports just 16 program slots: Midi Program Change...as you may know..
tricky part is combining-hosting uTonic in Freestyle (Newsonicarts)
that you can import/collect all uTonic presets as Freestyle Snapshots..
in my setup there is 23 uTonics (multi out) inside the 23 Freestyles (also multi out)
and 128 snapshot/preset per instance of Freestyle
since Freestyle supports Midi Program Change to switch its snapshots
means you have hundreds of uTonic presets ready to access all the time
in Stripper term this means: save & recall them as you want
just put Program Change parameter in your Strip ..ready to go!
Ah! So that's why you have snapshots in your videos. I wondered if I'd missed something and I thought there was functionality in Stripper for that. So it's newsonic arts freestyle. Cool! I will go and investigate. (Btw is there support for plugin delay compensation in NSO F?)

I've been using seq megababy to send midi notes to change the 16 MTonic program slots and a knob in stripper to change the pattern in megababy to change the midi note. E.g Pattern one (2 steps) set to C1 pattern 2 (2 steps) set to C#1 etc.. This only works when the transport is playing.

Last edited by focusrite; 08-08-2017 at 07:27 AM.
focusrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:23 AM   #3566
focusrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPI View Post
Hey guys, really amazing work here. I would like to start diving in but i was wondering if there are any kind of preset strips? Im afraid im rather dumb with computers and would like to start using this as maybe a part of my workflow. Thanks for any tips guys
There are a couple of ready set ones already in there (rea-eq atleast) but start watching the vids on page 1 for a better insight.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #3567
timbralzoom

Quote:
Ah! So that's why you have snapshots in your videos. I wondered if I'd missed something and I thought there was functionality in Stripper for that. So it's newsonic arts freestyle. Cool! I will go and investigate. (Btw is there support for plugin delay compensation in NSO F?)

I've been using seq megababy to send midi notes to change the 16 MTonic program slots and a knob in stripper to change the pattern in megababy to change the midi note. E.g Pattern one (2 steps) set to C1 pattern 2 (2 steps) set to C#1 etc.. This only works when the transport is playing.
Hi,
just in case there is two kind/type snapshots
Freestyle snapshots are just a knob (ReaControlMIDI "Program" parmeter(s))
in my Stripper setup..
i never go back Freestyles not even openin GUIs.. they just buried in the project!
second one is more important: Stripper's Snapshots!
anyway,
you don't need to send midi note to change uTonic programs you can use ReaControlMIDI
just import GM (General Midi) Reabank file to Reacontrolmidi
(it must be in: REAPER\Data folder.) and just one knob..much simple.

about plugin delay compensation i am not sure but probably it handles itself because i have no problem so far .. track shows 512 PDC but its belongs to the LoudMax (Free Limiter)..if make sense.

btw.
let me know if you want any help about setting up ReaConrolMIDI for uTonic programs.

its a little bit more than a fun type now...
cpu % 32 max! (rest belongs to screen capture software)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RRT...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by timbralzoom; 08-08-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:29 AM   #3568
focusrite

Quote:
its a little bit more than a fun type now...
cpu % 32 max! (rest belongs to screen capture software)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RRT...ature=youtu.be
Ok. I see 23 engines. I'm guessing you're using sends from these to your "stripper matrix" and then then send effects on busses out from your "Stripper matrix".

The snapshot floating toolbar on the right is the part I don't yet understand as I've not read far enough into the beginning yet.

Loving the Carl Cox vibes in your matrix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KVtA5BiV6Y

Last edited by focusrite; 08-08-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #3569
focusrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Hmmm- this one happens occasionally - and normally when a project is saved for the first time after stripper has been closed (or if script window left open and a project is closed and saved via closing Reaper down).

Anyway - to try to retrieve the data - you can go into the ... menu and down to script data and try to load manually from there (or from a backup).

The saving of data is fairly robust - but there are occasions where it trips up.

Safest thing to do is always save and name a project before closing down stripper script. Also - set up back up saving (from settings) - and regularly hit the SAVE button on the top bar (or via Ctrl+S).

The main thing that breaks it is closing Reaper with stripper script still open - and choosing save project when reaper closes - this method does not seem to give the script time to save its data before everything closes - and data gets lost. So either close stripper before closing the project - or make sure you hit ctrl+S before closing reaper. This normally ensures data gets saved properly.
Right, I don't fully understand the relationship of scripting in reaper and how close or not they follow each other. When I press the save button it says data saved but there's no prompt for a file name. Does it mean stripper including all user strips as a whole is now updated?
Old 08-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #3570
lb0

Quote:
Right, I don't fully understand the relationship of scripting in reaper and how close or not they follow each other. When I press the save button it says data saved but there's no prompt for a file name. Does it mean stripper including all user strips as a whole is now updated?
yes - stripper uses 2 general file names. these are <project filename>.lbxstripper and <project filename>.lbxstripper__

When you hit ctrl+S in reaper (or the script), or save via the file menu - Stripper will save a .lbxstripper file.

If you make changes to the script and subsequently close the script - it will save a .lbxstripper__ file.

Using these two files - it can keep track of most save situations - without you needing to worry about it.

there are also lbxbak files (created whenever you do a proper ctrl+S save - if you have backup setting enabled).

If a project loads and has *lost* it's save data (as i said before - usually triggered under very specific circumstances which can usually be avoided)- go straight to the script data option on ... menu and try loading manually. It is recommended to backup files first (especially .lbxstripper__ files) in case loading the wrong one might overwrite the correct one :/ ).

The only thing is - there is no proper undo - so once a ctrl+S is done - there is no going back to the data you had before. I personally recommend using Save As New quite a lot (with script window open) - this way old data gets preserved in the old filename, and new data is created under the new filename.

So far - it's as robust as I can make it (without there being any hooks in reascript to actually trigger saving code - there aren't any apart from the project modified flag which I am using to keep track of when a project is saved).

There are a couple of extra Save scripts in the github - these can be used to replace standard save shortcuts - and help the script to know of your intentions. It's been a while since I've looked at these - and I don't know if many people are using them...
Old 08-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #3571
RJHollins

Hi Gang. Been very busy, but still tried to follow all the postings here.

I was working on a STRIP design, and notice an issue ...

I lasso grab a selection of knobs,buttons, etc, and went into the sub-menu to GROUP them ... as I continued, the GROUPing did not stick.

Either not working as expected ... or I'm doing something wrong.

Can this be looked at when time allows?

Thanks
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #3572
timbralzoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPI View Post

is something like this work?

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/31388/SYNTH1_ColorCoded2.zip

EDIT:
you will need this two freebie
LoudMax
http://loudmax.blogspot.com.tr/
and
A1 Stereo
http://www.alexhilton.net/A1AUDIO/in...1stereocontrol

EDIT2:
Quote:
Ok. I see 23 engines. I'm guessing you're using sends from these to your "stripper matrix" and then then send effects on busses out from your "Stripper matrix".

The snapshot floating toolbar on the right is the part I don't yet understand as I've not read far enough into the beginning yet.

Loving the Carl Cox vibes in your matrix
first Thank you glad you liked

second important note:
Matrix part is correct but just in case there is nothing routed to Stripper no audio signal to / from Stripper
they are all regular Track routing but i am controlling send levels & pans & mutes & solos via JS FX Mixers, JS FX Senders.
so what you see in the Strip all Fx Parameters from the plugins including EQs Reverbs Delays etc.
i hope make sense.

Last edited by timbralzoom; 08-08-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #3573
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post

I lasso grab a selection of knobs,buttons, etc, and went into the sub-menu to GROUP them ... as I continued, the GROUPing did not stick.

Thanks
Of course I'll look into. The only time the grouping should change is if the controls are added to/removed from a switcher (which uses the group to indicate what's on a page). If switchers are not involved then it sounds like a bug - will try to repeat as per your instructions...
Old 08-08-2017, 10:54 AM   #3574
timbralzoom

Quote:
this might give an idea.. very quick demonstration
Snapshots in use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omzw...ature=youtu.be
let me know if i miss anything.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #3575
focusrite

Quote:
Snapshots in use:
That's amazing!!! The reason I missed that is because it's only available in the right click menu.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #3576
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post

Thanks
Quick question - how did you expect the grouping to work. I'm thinking maybe you are expecting them to always remain (group) selected together whenever one is clicked??

Actually - the grouping is more behind the scenes and you can still select individually like normal - but you can also simply select the group by holding shift (or ctrl - cannot remember exactly - one selects strips - the other groups)...

Is it the first scenario that you are expecting?? If so - I can probably add a setting to switch on this behaviour...
Old 08-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #3577
focusrite

Quote:
Snapshots in use:
Everyone into modular systems should watch this from timbralzoom. It's Gold I tell thee!

Old 08-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #3578
focusrite

Quote:
Quick question - how did you expect the grouping to work. I'm thinking maybe you are expecting them to always remain (group) selected together whenever one is clicked??

Actually - the grouping is more behind the scenes and you can still select individually like normal - but you can also simply select the group by holding shift (or ctrl - cannot remember exactly - one selects strips - the other groups)...

Is it the first scenario that you are expecting?? If so - I can probably add a setting to switch on this behaviour...
That confused me too! I just assumed it didn't work.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #3579
lb0

Quote:
That confused me too! I just assumed it didn't work.
Aha - sorry about that - the grouping was initially developed to enable switcher containers to work - then it kind of became useful as a general grouping capability for controls but I left the selection individual and had no complaints up until now

I will hopefully add an option so you can set it to select all items in a group if one is selected (so like a normal grouping function). I will add as long as it acts sensibly...
Old 08-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #3580
focusrite

Quote:
yes - stripper uses 2 general file names. these are <project filename>.lbxstripper and <project filename>.lbxstripper__

When you hit ctrl+S in reaper (or the script), or save via the file menu - Stripper will save a .lbxstripper file.

If you make changes to the script and subsequently close the script - it will save a .lbxstripper__ file.

Using these two files - it can keep track of most save situations - without you needing to worry about it.

there are also lbxbak files (created whenever you do a proper ctrl+S save - if you have backup setting enabled).

If a project loads and has *lost* it's save data (as i said before - usually triggered under very specific circumstances which can usually be avoided)- go straight to the script data option on ... menu and try loading manually. It is recommended to backup files first (especially .lbxstripper__ files) in case loading the wrong one might overwrite the correct one :/ ).

The only thing is - there is no proper undo - so once a ctrl+S is done - there is no going back to the data you had before. I personally recommend using Save As New quite a lot (with script window open) - this way old data gets preserved in the old filename, and new data is created under the new filename.

So far - it's as robust as I can make it (without there being any hooks in reascript to actually trigger saving code - there aren't any apart from the project modified flag which I am using to keep track of when a project is saved).

There are a couple of extra Save scripts in the github - these can be used to replace standard save shortcuts - and help the script to know of your intentions. It's been a while since I've looked at these - and I don't know if many people are using them...

I don't have those files in my lbx folder. They must be going somewhere else, of which I have no clue as I haven't changed anything from default.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:29 PM   #3581
lb0

Quote:
Everyone into modular systems should watch this from timbralzoom. It's Gold I tell thee!

Yes - Timbral makes some excellent tutorial vids - which is great because it means I don't have to and can concentrate on adding new stuff

The only thing I'd say about snapshot subsets is be very careful when saving strips - as you can end up quite easily doubling the number of subsets you have without realising if you drag a strip with snapshots onto a page. Then another then another - then delete some controls - make changes etc - save as new strip (this new strip contains all the subsets).

I've had occasions where a strip contained 50+ subsets!!

Anyway - this is why there is the option to delete all subsets if you right-click the * when on a subset.

snapshots and subsets building up like this accidentally can eat huge amounts of RAM and slow loading times down!!

You can use the statistics option at the bottom of the main ... menu to check how many snapshot sets (subsets) and snapshots exist on a strip (page).
Old 08-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #3582
RJHollins

Hi lb0.

Just my thought ... I was thinking that GROUPing would lock chosen elements together for when designing a layout.

I'd also be useful if GROUPS could be grouped to other elements and/or GROUPS.

The UN-Group would possible work sequentially through the grouping order ... just an idea :|

2. As to the GRAPHICS portion, there seems no way to select more than one graphic. Maybe some enhanced control could be added if possible.

3. a 3rd little buglet ... I've a few N-4 presets that make use of the K display in the GAUGE. But sometimes the decimal section has too many places [messes up the display]. It would be great to be able to control how many places AFTER the 'k'. It's not really a bug ... just a result when using K-format [which really looks nice and clean].

No hurry [obviously] .... try to get some Vacat time in with family. More important.

thanks
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #3583
focusrite

Quote:
Yes - Timbral makes some excellent tutorial vids - which is great because it means I don't have to and can concentrate on adding new stuff

The only thing I'd say about snapshot subsets is be very careful when saving strips - as you can end up quite easily doubling the number of subsets you have without realising if you drag a strip with snapshots onto a page. Then another then another - then delete some controls - make changes etc - save as new strip (this new strip contains all the subsets).

I've had occasions where a strip contained 50+ subsets!!

Anyway - this is why there is the option to delete all subsets if you right-click the * when on a subset.

snapshots and subsets building up like this accidentally can eat huge amounts of RAM and slow loading times down!!

You can use the statistics option at the bottom of the main ... menu to check how many snapshot sets (subsets) and snapshots exist on a strip (page).
Good to know
Old 08-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #3584
lb0

Quote:
I don't have those files in my lbx folder. They must be going somewhere else, of which I have no clue as I haven't changed anything from default.
in settings menu - you have option to either save in LBX\LBXCS_resources\projsave folder - or within your main rpp project files folder - or indeed a subfolder of that folder...

There is even a wildcard # to create a folder for each project and save in there - but I'm not convinced it works perfectly yet (although I think Dasombre uses this option).
Old 08-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #3585
focusrite

Quote:
in settings menu - you have option to either save in LBX\LBXCS_resources\projsave folder - or within your main rpp project files folder - or indeed a subfolder of that folder...

There is even a wildcard # to create a folder for each project and save in there - but I'm not convinced it works perfectly yet (although I think Dasombre uses this option).
What is a strip set please? There's 8 of those but only 4 pages.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #3586
focusrite

Quote:

Right, what happens if I un-check the project folder option? Does each new project automatically save a new unique file in the lbx folder? Or is there now just one global file in the lbx folder?
Old 08-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #3587
timbralzoom

^^
this is my Settings & an example folder to see how files look

Old 08-08-2017, 02:22 PM   #3588
lb0

Quote:
What is a strip set please? There's 8 of those but only 4 pages.
Strip set in main menu is a mechanism to allow more than one stripper script running at once in a project.

Each instance of stripper script (running at once) must have a unique strip set number - otherwise data will be overwritten as there is no suitable method for sharing data between instances.

Just to confuse matters further (because my naming conventions are a little rubbish when creating these things) -

You also have strip sets - which are like a multi-track version of a strip file. So you can save an entire set up (multiple strips/tracks/pages etc) in a strip set file which can then be merged into another project (multiple tracks with fx created etc). This is what the load/merge/save set options are. I guess these do cross over a little with the multiple scripts at once hence why the names overlap - but they are two separate features.

Loading a strip set file however - does not provide you with any preview - or drag-and-drop capability.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #3589
lb0

Quote:
Right, what happens if I un-check the project folder option? Does each new project automatically save a new unique file in the lbx folder? Or is there now just one global file in the lbx folder?
Each project will always save unique lbxstripper files named after the project filename. The check box just alters the save location - so yes - unchecking the box will always save lbx data files in the lbx folder (in projsave subfolder).
Old 08-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #3590
timbralzoom

cosmetic idea.. Labels always on top/on front?
Old 08-08-2017, 11:49 PM   #3591
focusrite

Quote:
Each project will always save unique lbxstripper files named after the project filename. The check box just alters the save location - so yes - unchecking the box will always save lbx data files in the lbx folder (in projsave subfolder).
Thank you for bearing with me and answering questions. If I may, would it be possible to add more pages and the ability to maybe drag & reorder pages?
Old 08-08-2017, 11:58 PM   #3592
focusrite

Quote:
btw.
let me know if you want any help about setting up ReaConrolMIDI for uTonic programs.
I never refuse help when I've never mastered a certain plugin before.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:38 AM   #3593
lb0

Quote:
cosmetic idea.. Labels always on top/on front?
Unfortunately - as the labels are drawn on the background buffer (with the graphics) - it would not be possible to have them in front of controls. If I were to move them to another buffer (control buffer - which is a combination of the back buffer and the controls) - or to a unique top buffer - CPU performance would be ruined as each time a control was drawn - the front buffer would require at least a partial redraw over the top.

However ... thinking out loud ... If you mean labels to always appear on top of other background graphics (just not controls) - then that would be doable probably.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:43 AM   #3594
timbralzoom

Quote:
Unfortunately - as the labels are drawn on the background buffer (with the graphics) - it would not be possible to have them in front of controls. If I were to move them to another buffer (control buffer - which is a combination of the back buffer and the controls) - or to a unique top buffer - CPU performance would be ruined as each time a control was drawn - the front buffer would require at least a partial redraw over the top.

However ... thinking out loud ... If you mean labels to always appear on top of other background graphics (just not controls) - then that would be doable probably.
oh my mistake
exactly!.. just/only over the other graphics..
sounds good & why you are here?
Old 08-09-2017, 01:53 AM   #3595
lb0

Quote:
oh my mistake
exactly!.. just/only over the other graphics..
sounds good & why you are here?
I'm not here
Old 08-09-2017, 02:44 AM   #3596
timbralzoom

Default controls & graphics update 09 August2017

Quote:
I'm not here
look who's still talking here!
emailing to the lady right now!

joking apart..
controls & graphics update 09 August 2017
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2068

EDIT:
Quote:
I never refuse help when I've never mastered a certain plugin before.
simple how to... ReaControlMIDI Program Change & uTonic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fqe...ature=youtu.be

23x8 volume and done

Last edited by timbralzoom; 08-09-2017 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #3597
focusrite

Quote:
look who's still talking here!
emailing to the lady right now!

joking apart..
controls & graphics update 09 August 2017
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2068

EDIT:

simple how to... ReaControlMIDI Program Change & uTonic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fqe...ature=youtu.be

23x8 volume and done
One of the most helpful persons on the reaper forums!! Thanks a bunch

Last edited by focusrite; 08-09-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:49 AM   #3598
timbralzoom

Quote:
One of the most helpful persons on the reaper forums!! Thanks a bunch
me? no ..not even average one in the forum <- serious!
but Thanks i gladly take the credits

EDIT: TOL to next weeks ideas
is it possible?
place captured Snapshot right after the currently loaded & tweaked one in the list..
optionally maybe.. would real helper!
just moved one to top.. shifted over 300+ snapshots and idea popped up

Last edited by timbralzoom; 08-09-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:01 PM   #3599
focusrite

@timbralzoom

See attached file for your reacontrolmidi Mtonic. Rename from txt to reabank
Attached Files
File Type: txt Mtonic.txt (499 Bytes, 124 views)
Old 08-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #3600
timbralzoom

Quote:
@timbralzoom

See attached file for your reacontrolmidi Mtonic. Rename from txt to reabank
Thanks