Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #1
EManBass
Human being with feelings

Default Recording only into a cheap 2-in-1?

Hi all,

I know this sounds dumb, but I have an old-ish (2014) Asus Transformer T100. It has a USB 3 port on the keyboard dock, and I was wondering if I could buy an 8-input, USB 3 interface (such as the Zoom UAC-8) for my main computer (not a laptop) and use that same interface on this tablet as well for field recording purposes using Reaper. Granted, I do not plan on doing any editing on it. It's only for recording, then transferring the raw audio files into the desktop and editing there.

I don't see any minimum requirements on the Reaper site regarding computer specs. This Asus device has the following:
-Windows 10 Home
-Intel Atom Z3740 Quad Core @ 1.33 GHz (2M cache, up to 1.86 GHz)
-2GB Ram (1.89 GB usable)
-32-bit OS, X64-based processor (and that I understand I would need the 32-bit version of Reaper).

Any thoughts?
EManBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:36 PM   #2
cyrano

Yes.

As simple as that. Recording doesn't need a hefty CPU or lots of RAM. It needs a reliable USB port and a decent harddisk.

I still use a Powerbook G4 @ 1 GHz, with 1 GB ram that is over ten years old to record 16 channels. No problem.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:35 PM   #3
EManBass

Default Yes, it works!

To anybody interested, looking for more info, or who haven't found the answer to this:

Yes, it works. I started using my garbage 2-in-1 little computer with the Midas MR-18, and I have successfully multi-track recorded 16 tracks via USB. Reaper takes a second or two to start rolling, but then it's good. I've only had one bad experience with a rec session where during one song where it skipped twice and sections of the song were never recorded. BUT, in Reaper's defense, it was a 2 hr outdoor concert (recording the whole time), and it rained over my little computer =)
EManBass is offline   Reply With Quote