Old 03-16-2021, 07:42 AM   #1
deeb
Human being with feelings

Default Track Lanes Discussion

I thought it would would be better to leave daily pre releases discussion for daily testing and related issues, and bring here our wishes and thoughts on the feature in a global perspective.

Last edited by deeb; 03-16-2021 at 08:13 AM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:50 AM   #2
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
BUG

Selecting two items each from a different track without track lanes, and moving them to a track with visible track lanes, it doesn't move the item from one of the source tracks.

And if all tracks have visible lanes and i'm trying do the same this happens.

But this seems like a complicated case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I think that may be most appropriate behavior. If you're expecting both items to move onto the same track in a single edit, I don't think that should be the default behavior, because the items are starting on different tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
it's not a thing that i would use , but same is happening importing from ME to lanes , just one is kept, which i think is not expected and following the same principle in Vagelis scenario: if user drags or imports them , why not allowing them to be dropped fully?

edit: i said "it's not a thing that i would use" but having a second thought : I would, items are items, they can come from everywhere (including different tracks or projects, ME , Finder .. it's irrelevant in user perspective) , and it's reaper philosophy of trying as much as possible to not constrain/limit the user but this is not happening in this case. And if for some reason, this does not match for the feature needs, maybe yeah you should not allow dropping, because by allowing i don't know which item was successfully dropped and so i will need to check and probably solo and mouse clicking , etc.

Same same WYSIWYG.
Bringing up this: i think there should be a solution for this. Multiple items should be allowed to be dropped coming from different tracks or projects, or finder / explorer / project / etc , as much as possible. It can be rendered tracks from another project , it can be anything really.

Maybe a possible solution could be : while dragging on the half lower part of a lane and if enough space allow dropping? on the upper part or media lane do this current behaviour? maybe a modifier? i don't know this could be very useful, is worth considering

edit: of course this should happen also in FIP too

Last edited by deeb; 03-16-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:59 AM   #3
deeb

Related with previous issue: Reaper should be aware when dropping into a Lane from ME / finder / explorer and if so, the options should consider if we want multiple items in a single lane or multiple lanes -- same has for regular tracks but this time specific for lanes:

edit: of course this should happen also in FIP too.

Last edited by deeb; 03-17-2021 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:09 AM   #4
Vagelis

Just a thought regarding changing the number of lanes. Assuming that we have 5 items each on different lane, so 5 lanes as well.

Wouldn't it be better to show only the items on these lanes when we change their number if their number is less than the number of items?

Now if change from 5 to 3 lanes, we end up with 2 overlapping items on last lane.

Any thoughts and usability of current behavior?
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:26 AM   #5
deeb

Quote:
Just a thought regarding changing the number of lanes. Assuming that we have 5 items each on different lane, so 5 lanes as well.

Wouldn't it be better to show only the items on these lanes when we change their number if their number is less than the number of items?

Now if change from 5 to 3 lanes, we end up with 2 overlapping items on last lane.

Any thoughts and usability of current behavior?
but the same kind of happens when dragging from multiple lanes into a single track type. It overlaps in a single track. In this sense is coherent.
Altho My preference tends to be: if only everything match allow me to drop (unless a specific option/modifier is used), .. otherwise is inviting for mistakes and messy stuff.

But In this case : at least reaper keeps track of their indexes, so we can always readjust number of lanes without loosing their index when they get back to stack position. So it's not so so so bad

Anyway maybe all depends on the feature or features that this lanes system will work for.

Last edited by deeb; 03-16-2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:14 AM   #6
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
But In this case : at least reaper keeps track of their indexes, so we can always readjust number of lanes without loosing their index when they get back to stack position. So it's not so so so bad
But what's the purpose of usability when items are overlapping on same lane?

I want to change to a smaller number of lanes to work easier with less items, but also to keep the rest items stored in other lanes for later editing.

If they overlap on same lane, i would delete them, and they cannot be stored any longer to other lanes
Old 04-08-2021, 03:04 AM   #7
Vagelis

A simple example in Cubase lanes:
*The parts with the color are audible, while the darker parts are muted
https://i.imgur.com/hZQ2lsA.gif

I just want this soooo much in Reaper... I hope the devs will add an option to mute the overlapping parts of the items in lanes. Still no clue where it's heading in Reaper but it would make a lot of sense if they would add this to the current state of media lanes.
It's a true gem for combining parts of audio and midi and it's soooo close to Reaper's lanes development, pleaaase Devs
Old 04-08-2021, 05:55 AM   #8
vitalker

Quote:
A simple example in Cubase lanes:
*The parts with the color are audible, while the darker parts are muted
https://i.imgur.com/hZQ2lsA.gif
I am not sure, but perhaps new version of Cubase has it done in different way? It looks like you are using some old one.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:24 AM   #9
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
I am not sure, but perhaps new version of Cubase has it done in different way? It looks like you are using some old one.
I haven't tried the newest version to be honest. I was using the old version and still do when i have to complete an older track for release. Is it closer to comping?
I love this way though,it's very flexible and has some advantages over comping.
Great for combining sounds, experimenting with rhythms and allows you to apply any possible edit to items individually.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:36 AM   #10
vitalker

Quote:
Is it closer to comping?
I love this way though,it's very fl
I don't know. I've never used Cubase (just tried it, but it was so unintuitive).
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:16 PM   #11
FarBeyondMetal

I haven't really followed the development of track lanes so my apologies if this is completely missing the point of what it is for, but I would love for there to be an option to only play the top lane and auto mute all the lanes below. Then we can create custom actions to select portions of the various lanes and bump them up to the top lane. This would of course have to respect selections and item grouping to allow it to work with multi track recordings also.

This would be semi redundant to the current take system but it would do away with the splitting and empty lanes which I personally am not the biggest fan of.
FarBeyondMetal is offline   Reply With Quote