Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 06:22 AM   #1
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Default Default 7.0 Theme Adjuster v.240503d

Installing & Running the script

✅ You must be running Reaper Pre-Release version v7.15+dev0506 or later.
✅ You must be using the exact version of the Default 7.0 theme in that build.

Yes on both? Excellent, please DOWNLOAD

• Choose Options > Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder. Extract content of the zip (the 'Default_7.0_theme_adjuster.lua' file AND the 'Default_7.0_theme_adjuster resources' folder) into the 'scripts' folder there.
  • Choose Actions > Show action list. In the bottom right choose New action > Load ReaScript. Choose Default_7.0_theme_adjuster.lua and click Open.
  • In the actions list you'll now see Script: Default_7.0_theme_adjuster.lua. Choose it and click Run, or (while using the theme) go to Options > Themes > Theme Adjuster / Color Controls.

Changelog

Been busy!

Representing and explaining the Mixer track condition / width form relationship. As you change the width for each of the three conditions (track unselected / track selected / track armed) it now shows you which of the three width forms (Standard width / Reduced width / Strip width) corresponds to that width. At the same time, in the 'if width' section it will show in the header which of the three conditions will be using that width (track unselected / track selected / track armed / none) with the corresponding colour (black / white / red / grey).

Representing and explaining the Track section assignment / section properties relationship. (ref: Holzwurm). When sends or inserts are assigned to share with the parameters (i.e. the standard Reaper behaviour) I was drawing a line around them to represent them. That wasn't good enough, so now it also puts a message over the top of the relevant Section properties diagram, to explain that its settings don't apply because its sharing with the parameters.

I'm sort-of not okay with this happening relative to the layout chosen in the Section assignments header when the Section properties box is 'all layouts', but maybe its an acceptable compromise.

Transport Page much more fun. The status and selection width controls now have graphical representation (sort of, don't look too hard) and the diagrams use actual colours you've chosen beneath.

Individual errors. If its the wrong theme, or the wrong theme version, or you've been poking around the rtconfig with a blunt stick and have broken something ...the script will now show parameter errors in situ with an ugly red whoopsie indicator, so you know for sure that something has gone wrong, and much more usefully you know where! This is an important part of how I want the script to interact with users and non-proficient modders, so we don't get into the situation from v6 where I could never update the theme adjuster and meanwhile it crapped out if anyone else looked at it funny.

..and the other part of that is...

The raw parameters page The v6 theme adjuster could show up to 10 parameters for any theme to make use of, this will do an unlimited number. For now I'm showing that as a 'raw parameters' page, but in due time that will be the generic page if you're not using the Default 7 theme, and maybe as a thing that can be got to from the dubug box if I end up retaining that.

If the parameter is binary (has 0/1 as its min/max) then it shows a fill button instead of the standard knob / spinner / readout combination, because it was getting a bit overwhelming.

also...
  • Standard width mixer diagram hides buttons not set to show, and represents what the 'dark strip under...' option does.
  • Mixer diagrams (Standard and Strip width) use the chosen background colour and a randomly chosen custom colour from your project (if any) at the correct chosen global custom colour strength.
  • Reworked sliders z-order redrawing. (ref: splitting_ears)
  • Error page is now called 'Error Report' to encourage it being looked at!
  • The last of the temporary art knobs and faders are now replaced.
  • Lots of styling.

------------------------

Update v.240503c

• Parameter export to file (all parameters, or those parameters that are not their theme default setting) and parameter import from file (any included parameters in the file are applied.) File is just a text file, should mean most users won't need to go messing around copying and pasting inside the reaper.themeconfig.ini.
  • Proper page selection buttons : Only relevant pages are offered, buttons have an icon, button state should now be initialised correctly.
  • New page : Global (generic variant). Shown when theme is not Default 7.0, contains colour processing controls and a subset of the parameter management and debugging functionality.
  • 'Raw Parameters' page is now called 'Theme Controls' page. Only shown when theme is not Default 7.0, has a button to attempt to use the Default 7.0 theme's specific controls instead. Should I remove that? Or move it to the debugging box?
  • Page choice follows existing Theme Adjuster behaviour of being theme name based. If the theme's name is prefixed with "Default_7.0_" then it will automatically attempt to use the Default 7.0 theme's specific controls.
  • Themers can configure null theme parameters to cause the generic 'Theme Controls' to show titles. (Ref cool) If Min is 0, Max is 0, it will draw a reversed label. If Min is 0, Max is 0 and Default value 0, it will draw a text only label. Remember this is pre-release functionality, it may change or go away, use with care for now.

-----------------------------------

Now would be a useful time for there to be an exemplar of a correctly formatted Default_7.0 theme mod to use with the theme adjuster and get the full Default_7.0 controls, so I've made one : Default_7.0 WT The Anti-Theme.

HERE is the thread for that.

-----------------------------------

Last edited by White Tie; 06-04-2024 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:58 AM   #2
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Fixed link error, thanks!
Old 05-07-2024, 09:17 AM   #3
smandrap
Human being with feelings

This is all super great, thanks for your hard work.

But this
Quote:
The raw parameters page
This is HUGE
Old 05-07-2024, 12:41 PM   #4
vsthem

Love the Raw Parameters page, and the FX List and Send List PIN for TCP Layouts are fantastic! If we could just adjust the color of this section to blend in more with the track color, it'd be even better!

Thanks for all the hard work on this.
Old 05-07-2024, 01:15 PM   #5
Frantick

Hello,
When I was playing around with the adjuster I came across such a case that when I clicked on the pin from FX then on TCP the parameters view showed up. I don't know if it was intentional so I wanted to let you know.

BTW, those X buttons for effects and sends took me by surprise. I thought clicking them would remove the section and put it back in the unassigned pool. Silly me

EDIT:
Another thing is that the Raw parameters page and the rest of the script do not synchronise when you change something, unless this is intentional.

Last edited by Frantick; 05-07-2024 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:45 AM   #6
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

New version 240503b

Fixes TCP bottom section division count if inserts or sends are sharing with parameters. (Thanks Holzwurm)

Old 05-08-2024, 03:05 AM   #7
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantick View Post
When I was playing around with the adjuster I came across such a case that when I clicked on the pin from FX then on TCP the parameters view showed up. I don't know if it was intentional so I wanted to let you know.
Thanks, yes it is. I treat that bottom section as a single 'thing', so if you pin one element that is assigned to it, the whole thing acts pinned.

FWIW I think the whole pinning thing is made completely redundant by right-clicking the FX button. Did you know what happens when you right click the FX button? Hey everyone, right click the FX button, its awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantick View Post
the Raw parameters page and the rest of the script do not synchronise when you change something, unless this is intentional.
Hmmm yeah, that is correct though perhaps I wouldn't go so far as 'intentional'. One of my performance optimisations is the script doesn't constantly spam Reaper for the latest params, which it used to, because I've gone so very far into new ground in terms of sheer parameter count. This makes sense; when there's only one control per parameter then the only way a parameter has changed is if that control just did it, so it updates itself there and then. The raw parameter page adds a second set of controls to every parameter.

I could write a thing where all the parameters of a script page are refreshed when you open that page, which would be fine. But before I go there I want to know if the raw parameters page is ever going to be simultaneously available like it is now, I'm not sure that's going to be how it works in the final release. Stroke chin emoji.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:49 AM   #8
Holzwurm

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post

That is so beautiful. Thank you for everything, the adjuster is incredibly valuable.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:07 AM   #9
Daodan

Quote:
FWIW I think the whole pinning thing is made completely redundant by right-clicking the FX button. Did you know what happens when you right click the FX button? Hey everyone, right click the FX button, its awesome.
I just want to thank you for implementing fxinserts pinning. I appreciate it. And I believe that many other users do too. It's not redundant at all and it's not the same as FX button right click the. Thank you.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:41 AM   #10
bolgwrad

Now no duplication of i/p panel on mutliple monitors; much tidier, thanks.

Old 05-13-2024, 11:39 AM   #11
cool

The raw parameters page
This is what I dreamed of! Thank you!
Old 05-15-2024, 09:28 PM   #12
jliu

Hi White Tie, I saw you followed up on my report about "bouncing" tracks in the TCP in a previous release thread. I couldn't get the bouncing glitch to occur on a Windows machine, only on my MacBook, so maybe that is why you couldn't reproduce it? I made a bug report with more details. Below are my Advanced UI settings.

Old 05-16-2024, 05:21 AM   #13
Edison

Hi @White Tie

Can we have the longest length in the area shown in yellow? See pic.

P.S. Solved. I increased w=148 to 218, size for the name of all installer versions.

Best Regards,
Attached Images
File Type: png Linux - Print Screen.png (16.4 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Edison; 05-16-2024 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:20 PM   #14
Thonex

Quote:
I could write a thing where all the parameters of a script page are refreshed when you open that page, which would be fine. But before I go there I want to know if the raw parameters page is ever going to be simultaneously available like it is now, I'm not sure that's going to be how it works in the final release. Stroke chin emoji.
Hey WT,

Awesome work!!

Maybe a simple refresh button with a circular arrow icon?

Cheers,

Andrew K
Old 05-17-2024, 04:40 AM   #15
Daimebag

Hi, maybe its a dumb question but do you know when this could be available as builtin theme adjuster on Reaper?
Old 05-18-2024, 11:47 AM   #16
tohubohu

is it possible to change the color of the fx buttons in the TCP and on the back of the fx TCP?
Old 05-18-2024, 11:52 AM   #17
tohubohu

bug ?

Old 05-21-2024, 01:09 AM   #18
wholehalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison View Post
Hi @White Tie

P.S. Solved. I increased w=148 to 218, size for the name of all installer versions.

Best Regards,
Hi @Edison, I have the same issue, where did you change the width parameter?
Also the letter A in 'ALL LAYOUTS' is snipped off, could this be related?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20240521_105905.png (30.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 05-21-2024, 05:47 AM   #19
Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholehalf View Post
Hi @Edison, I have the same issue, where did you change the width parameter?
Also the letter A in 'ALL LAYOUTS' is snipped off, could this be related?
Hi @wholehalf

You didn't comment, but I believe your OS is Linux

1) In the Script, I decided to leave only LAYOUTS in the phrase ALL LAYOUTS, on Windows and Linux, so as not to need to increase the window width.

2) On Linux there is the 'Sublime Text' APP, you must install it and use it to open the Default_7.0_theme_adjuster.lua file, from the Script folder.
2.1) Right-click on the file (it will indicate Sublime Text, choose NO for the question about updating the APP).
2.2) Once open use Ctrl+F to search-> type ALL LAYOUTS and press the Find button.
2.3) Delete the word ALL leaving just 'LAYOUTS'. See Pic 1 - (Line 1179 of Sublime Text)

3) To the topic: P.S. Solved. I increased w=148 to 218, size for the name of all installer versions. See Pic2 - (Line 2834 of Sublime Text)

Note: Ctrl+S to Save changes

I hope it helps you.
Attached Images
File Type: png Pic 1.png (3.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: png Pic 2.png (8.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-21-2024, 07:19 AM   #20
foxAsteria

Old 05-23-2024, 04:21 AM   #21
MeWest

hello. is it possible to write all the changes inside the theme? and not only in "reaper.themeconfig.ini"
Old 05-25-2024, 02:43 PM   #22
Daodan

Default Nitpick about mixer panel controls

I usually use mixer as "inspector" (single track width left docked mixer) and don't need tracks to change width. Actually I don't like track width changing in full mixer view too. So I disable "Expansion by channel count" and set comfortable track width. The nitpick is that I need to do this 3 times, because I need the same values for UNSELECTED, SELECTED and ARMED. Not a big deal but some kind of "link" button would be useful. Especially when we need to reset Theme Adjuster with new versions.
Old 05-25-2024, 06:26 PM   #23
thevisi0nary

Unlimited parameters is HUGE, thank you. Sorry if it was mentioned and I didn’t catch it, but how will the raw parameter page be published, alphabetically or by order of appearance in the config?
Old 05-25-2024, 07:47 PM   #24
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevisi0nary View Post
Unlimited parameters is HUGE, thank you. Sorry if it was mentioned and I didn’t catch it, but how will the raw parameter page be published, alphabetically or by order of appearance in the config?
Good idea. For my theme, I used dummy knobs to make headers and visual dividers between different areas. It's much more better look!
If in the future there is a native ability to set separators, it will be very handy, I think.
Old 05-26-2024, 11:38 AM   #25
thevisi0nary

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool View Post
Good idea. For my theme, I used dummy knobs to make headers and visual dividers between different areas. It's much more better look!
If in the future there is a native ability to set separators, it will be very handy, I think.
That's brilliant, if I go this route I will certainly copy you! Is this list populated by their order of appearance in the config?

I started drafting a custom theme adjuster for my theme because 10 parameters in the default 6 adjuster was too limiting. But aside from the extra work I always was put off by the user needing to add a separate script.

Having unlimited parameters in the default 7 adjuster is much more practical to me. I had taken a break from the theme during this school semester and I'm happier for it now lol.
Old 05-26-2024, 10:52 PM   #26
cool

Quote:
That's brilliant, if I go this route I will certainly copy you! Is this list populated by their order of appearance in the config?
Yes, if I understood your question correctly. But there is one drawback: if the number of parameters is not a multiple of three, then the list will shift and the dashed lines will not be in one row. To do this, you will have to set empty parameters.

If you want to repeat this in your theme, here is the code. It is placed directly after (or before) the group of lines "define_parameter" in each category. The digits of the "string_x" parameter should not be repeated, that is, for the next delimiter this parameter will begin with "string_4". In general, these can be any unique character sets.

Code:
;raw params separator
define_parameter string_0     '' 0 0 1 ;optional empty knob
define_parameter string_1     'GLOBAL-------------------------------------------------------' 0 0 1
define_parameter string_2     '-------------------------------------------------------------------' 0 0 1
define_parameter string_3     '-------------------------------------------------------------------' 0 0 1
White Tie, I apologize for the unexpected DIY moment here

Last edited by cool; 05-26-2024 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-27-2024, 09:35 AM   #27
thevisi0nary

Quote:
Yes, if I understood your question correctly. But there is one drawback: if the number of parameters is not a multiple of three, then the list will shift and the dashed lines will not be in one row. To do this, you will have to set empty parameters.

If you want to repeat this in your theme, here is the code. It is placed directly after (or before) the group of lines "define_parameter" in each category. The digits of the "string_x" parameter should not be repeated, that is, for the next delimiter this parameter will begin with "string_4". In general, these can be any unique character sets.

Code:
;raw params separator
define_parameter string_0     '' 0 0 1 ;optional empty knob
define_parameter string_1     'GLOBAL-------------------------------------------------------' 0 0 1
define_parameter string_2     '-------------------------------------------------------------------' 0 0 1
define_parameter string_3     '-------------------------------------------------------------------' 0 0 1
White Tie, I apologize for the unexpected DIY moment here
Thank you friend that is very generous, appreciate it.
Old 06-01-2024, 01:19 AM   #28
Javier Robledo

Default More layouts

Hi, first of all, really really thanks for all this wonderfull great job.

I would like to sugest if posible/easy include an option for creating more layouts for MCP and TPC.

In my theme for instante, I have 7 TCP layouts for different uses.

I started my theme in REAPER 4, and would love to make It compatible with new REAPER features switching from one to other.

I could include more layouts by myself editing RTconfig file, but if we could have a plus and minus simbol for creating then straight from Theme adjuster, It would be really great.

Thanks, thanks and thanks again.
Old 06-01-2024, 01:26 AM   #29
Javier Robledo

Default Track folder and number

Hi also in the same way as my previous post, in order to make new Themes compatible with olders, It would be great if we toggle between have folder and track number at left or right side of the track.

Thanks
Old 06-02-2024, 01:11 AM   #30
Javier Robledo

Default 3 Arrange/Midi Editor background flavours

Hi again

Another thing that I would suggest for native option in Theme Ajuster, is to include three (unpooled) modes of background for main window and midi editor, so we could toggle between dark (default v7), light (default 5) and medium (somehing in between).
Old 06-02-2024, 09:30 AM   #31
Javier Robledo

Default TCP minimum height and first icon distance

Hi again, another little sugestion if it is interesting to include it in Theme Adjuster:

- TCP minimum height

- Distance from top of TCP to first icons line.

Thanks

Old 06-03-2024, 12:27 AM   #32
Javier Robledo

Default MCP Mixer width breaking point.

Hi again, and sorry for writting so much

It would be great in order again to make R7 compatible with older themes to change (if possible of course) MCP width breaking point from from standar to reduce to 86px instead of 88px.

For people who has mixer docked at left side of screen as a track inspector, MCP icons do not respect their main position if you down MCP width to 86.

It makes meter a lot short and track input impossible to read.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2024, 03:40 AM   #33
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
Now no duplication of i/p panel on mutliple monitors; much tidier, thanks.
What's the i/p panel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison View Post
Certainly, will be so in next version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
Maybe a simple refresh button with a circular arrow icon?
In the end I'm just refreshing the entire page on page change, in the new version, it actually doesn't seem that wasteful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimebag View Post
do you know when this could be available as builtin theme adjuster on Reaper?
As ever, its done when its done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tohubohu View Post
is it possible to change the color of the fx buttons in the TCP and on the back of the fx TCP?
Not with a script, no. You could manually swap the images and text colour though, if you're up for a spot of beginner modding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tohubohu View Post
bug ?
I don't think so, I think that's because the width of the name section is the same as you have set the width of the panel, and its set to show the meter button when selected, so when you select the track the name section gets too long and the whole thing is hidden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeWest View Post
is it possible to write all the changes inside the theme? and not only in "reaper.themeconfig.ini"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daodan View Post
I usually use mixer as "inspector" (single track width left docked mixer) and don't need tracks to change width. Actually I don't like track width changing in full mixer view too. So I disable "Expansion by channel count" and set comfortable track width. The nitpick is that I need to do this 3 times, because I need the same values for UNSELECTED, SELECTED and ARMED. Not a big deal but some kind of "link" button would be useful. Especially when we need to reset Theme Adjuster with new versions.
Import and export of settings is in the new version

Quote:
The later, it reads through the rtconfig and populates parameters as it comes to them.

Quote:
Nice idea, thanks, is in the new version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier Robledo View Post
include an option for creating more layouts for MCP and TPC. I could include more layouts by myself editing RTconfig file, but if we could have a plus and minus simbol for creating then straight from Theme adjuster, It would be really great.

Another thing that I would suggest for native option in Theme Ajuster, is to include three (unpooled) modes of background for main window and midi editor, so we could toggle between dark (default v7), light (default 5) and medium (somehing in between).

to include it in Theme Adjuster:- TCP minimum height
This script just changes parameters within the WALTERable elements of the RTconfig of the Reaper theme, plus a few Reaper actions. The script doesn't actually do anything itself, so if a theme can't already do something then it can't either.

Quote:
I started my theme in REAPER 4, and would love to make It compatible with new REAPER features switching from one to other.

It would be great in order again to make R7 compatible with older themes
There is no compatibility situation in Reaper themes; all themes always remain 100% feature complete. If you have a theme you like, no matter how old, it may not always look perfect but you're definitely not missing out on any functionality if you stick with it.

Quote:
- Distance from top of TCP to first icons line.
Track Controls > Section properties > Section Margins.

Quote:
to change (if possible of course) MCP width breaking point from from standar to reduce to 86px instead of 88px. For people who has mixer docked at left side of screen as a track inspector, MCP icons do not respect their main position if you down MCP width to 86. It makes meter a lot short and track input impossible to read.
I don't understand, could you do a screenshot of the issue?
Old 06-03-2024, 04:59 AM   #34
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

^^^ v.240503c and its changelog are now in post #1 ^^^^
Old 06-03-2024, 09:03 AM   #35
cool

Quote:
Themers can configure null theme parameters to cause the generic 'Theme Controls' to show titles. (Ref cool) If Min is 0, Max is 0, it will draw a reversed label. If Min is 0, Max is 0 and Default value 0, it will draw a text only label. Remember this is pre-release functionality, it may change or go away, use with care for now.
Thank you!

Last edited by cool; 06-03-2024 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:24 AM   #36
Javier Robledo

Default MCP Mixer width breaking point.

Hi WT , thanks for your answer.

This is what I mean in the previous post:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=32

https://youtube.com/shorts/pGYbM5ZgsQo

Thanks
Old 06-03-2024, 11:37 PM   #37
Pink Wool

It seems that you can't change the transport background color to pure black (anything other is fine, even almost black. If you change it to pure black, it becomes "transparent" perhaps?). Is there some specific reason for that or is it a bug? On Windows 10 and 7.16+dev0601.

Old 06-04-2024, 04:48 AM   #38
MeWest

thank you so much for adding the ability to write changes to the theme file. the script does not recognize the theme as the default. updated the theme through a program update. It didn't help.
Attached Images
File Type: png test.png (32.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 06-04-2024, 11:18 AM   #39
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
I'm not sure I'm understanding you. Can't you just resize the docker? Is that not what you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post
It seems that you can't change the transport background color to pure black (anything other is fine, even almost black. If you change it to pure black, it becomes "transparent" perhaps?). Is there some specific reason for that or is it a bug? On Windows 10 and 7.16+dev0601.
Huh, yeah weird, thanks. Apparently that's what happens if you don't explicitly provide an alpha setting for a custom element that is coloured pure black. A Reaper quirk, it'll be fixed in the next theme update, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeWest View Post
the script does not recognize the theme as the default. updated the theme through a program update. It didn't help.
Ooops! Please grab the new v.240503d from post #1, thank you.
Old 06-04-2024, 11:50 AM   #40
bolgwrad

Quote:
What's the i/p panel?
Sorry for late reply. By 'the i/p panel' I mean the section in the MCP where the input device is shown - which doesn't appear in v6. Not keen to have it duplicated on multiple monitors, but hey.

[edit]

Last edited by bolgwrad; 06-04-2024 at 12:04 PM.
Closed Thread