Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 05-21-2024, 08:39 AM   #1
jack461
Human being with feelings

Default [JSFX] Access to Project Path and Resource Path

Hi!
I'm working on a JSFX Plugin that needs to access Scripts that are either in the project itself, or in the REAPER Resources Directory.
The eel operations "GetProjectPath()" and "GetResourcePath()" however are not available in JSFX. I have a workaround that uses an eel script that I attach to the session and provides these information using the shared "gmem", but the process is quite clumsy, and experience shows that the users of my plugin have real problems to install it correctly.

Could these operations "GetProjectPath()" and "GetResourcePath()" be added in a next version of JSFX?

Thanks for considering the proposition.

Last edited by jack461; 06-04-2024 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Moderation: Title typo fix
jack461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 02:58 PM   #2
jack461

Actually, I already requested such a feature three years ago: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=249674 - but it's never too late to request this again :-)
Old 05-30-2024, 04:33 AM   #3
mschnell

What do you mean by "access scripts" ?

To communicate with scrips you don't need their files.
Communicating with scripts can be done via gmem. I in fact don't know any different way.
If you want to "fire" a script from a JSFX, you can have the JSFX send a Midi CC and then use the MidiToReaControlPath or the ReaLearn VST to "route" same to the Control Path and then "Learn" an action tied to that script to same.
What exactly are you trying to accomplish ?

Last edited by mschnell; 05-31-2024 at 12:23 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 03:30 PM   #4
jack461

Sorry, what I mean by "Scripts" are not ReaScripts, but plain text files that contain programs written in my own scripting language ("mSL"). They can be loaded and executed to modify JSFX variables and arrays, run JSFX functions, etc.

The main JSFX plugin offers a whole set of features that can have many uses, and an installation can be described and animated with a few hundred lines of code, that are located in files (the "Scripts") contained inside the project directory. With this organisation, every project can be fully autonomous.

Hope this clarifies the context.
Old 06-04-2024, 11:56 PM   #5
mschnell

You mean a JSFX interprets those scripts.

OK. Weird, but possible.

Do you know that something a bit similar has been introduced into eel itself by the "<?" Macro language ?

Re File access: I understand the options for accessing files are sparse with JSFXes, as file handling would kill realtime performance.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote