Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 05-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #241
Sexan
Human being with feelings

If auto layout could support VCA Master/Slave group filters I would cry of happiness
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #242
EpicSounds

Has the LFO Generator broken recently?
With Frequency set to 1/1 I expect a cycle lasting 1 bar, but I've getting 4 cycles per bar. 1/4 makes 16 cycles.

In another project I couldn't get it to align with the beat no matter what setting I used.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #243
EpicSounds

bug with Reposition selected items in 5.18
start and end buttons are not toggling

Old 05-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #244
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachrimae View Post
To quote Ed "since Padre is not around..."

The person that made the LFO tool last posted here in 2012 so you may be waiting a while:
http://forum.cockos.com/search.php?searchid=12145106
To be fair, isn't everybody who had anything to do with SWS done with Reaper now, Jeffos hasn't posted for 3 months and he was the last man standing wasn't he ?
Old 05-10-2016, 01:50 AM   #245
Janne83

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
To be fair, isn't everybody who had anything to do with SWS done with Reaper now, Jeffos hasn't posted for 3 months and he was the last man standing wasn't he ?
Jeffos left Cockos(and hasnt been around here since february) : http://www.cockos.com/team.php
Breeder left before that. They were the last 2 who maintained SWS, so I wouldnt expect anything new. I think we can easily call SWS dead.

Now lets just hope things wont star breaking up too fast. 3 things already cause problems : (The 2 that Jon reported above and also Fill Gaps option is broken with time stretched items)

Last edited by Janne83; 05-10-2016 at 02:22 AM.
Janne83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:22 AM   #246
vanhaze

Major bummer that SWS is dead
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:09 AM   #247
Victor_M

O, my God! Very sad news...
Victor_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:34 AM   #248
juliansader

This may turn out to be good news: can Cockos now take over development of SWS?
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:49 AM   #249
Gass n Klang

yes I need that info. Will Cockos tak the developement or integrate the features of SWS in any way? I am really addicted to these features for my live setup and will have to switch to ableton otherwise =/
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:51 AM   #250
EvilDragon

I don't think they will...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:56 AM   #251
RobU

It would be a major loss of functionality if/when SWS becomes stale - Today, SWS accounts for over 35% of combined Reaper/SWS actions ! (Reaper 5.18 SWS 2.8.3)

:|
Old 05-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #252
Victor_M

If we assume that Cockos will integrate whole bunch of SWS features - it'll be super, super cool!!! Let's hope
+1000
Victor_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #253
Thalamus

Yes I have also become very accustomed to the extra functions that the SWS extensions provide.
Thalamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #254
kerryg

I'd be very surprised if this has not yet been discussed and considered. It's more like "this has pretty much got to happen"; lots of folks now depend on SWS and you can't just have a whole bunch of peoples' workflows suddenly disabled by an inadvertent change under the hood.
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #255
musicbynumbers

I can totally understand why people have moved on and that's fine and good

They've all given us so many amazing things over the years and put in so much hard work and passion.

I just hope that there will eventually be a time where it's either integrated or replaced as it's crucial for me and most post media/game guys who need the level of management sws offers.

Fingers are crossed!
Old 05-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #256
DeathByGuitar

Exactly. I wonder if Cockos had some sort of contingency plan in mind. I can't imagine they haven't had this in the back of their minds at some point. I'm really anxious to see what Justin and Schwa have to say about this situation.
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:08 PM   #257
babag

frankly, sws integration seems a far higher priority than a linux build to me. i don't oppose, i actually welcome, a linux build but i think the idea of the gradual degradation of sws capabilities would be disastrous.
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #258
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByGuitar View Post
Exactly. I wonder if Cockos had some sort of contingency plan in mind. I can't imagine they haven't had this in the back of their minds at some point. I'm really anxious to see what Justin and Schwa have to say about this situation.
Well, at the start it probably wasn't such a concern since it wasn't much different than what individuals create now with scripting but then it turned into the massive "good tumour" that it is growing out the side of reaper's skull and I've grown to love that tumour so much, reaper would look weird without it!
Old 05-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #259
Zblogny

Reaper would no longer be Reaper without SWS extensions.
"Install SWS" is often the first advice we give to new reaperians.
Zblogny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:11 AM   #260
stereolost

I wonder if we reaper community could crowdfund SWS integration/replacement or a team to support it.
Since i don't feel that Cockos by default are obliged to be responsible for functionality of whatever was created by someone else, be it extension, script, color theme or else.
stereolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:51 AM   #261
X-Raym

Actually, I don't think a native inetgration would be the ultimate solution.

I like consider that SWS is like the open source part of REAPER, which is closed and proprietary. Seing all these features created and shared by the community is definitly inspiring.
All we need is a person with the skill, the will and the time to take the project. Even if it just for maintenance (correcting bugs).
It will not be easy to find, unfortunately.

Side note : Scripts cannot remplace SWS, there is a lot of things you can do in a C++ extension that can't be done with scripts.. Plus, a lot of scripts actually use SWS functions.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:23 AM   #262
musicbynumbers

Good points!

Also, I'd happily put money in a pot for someone to do this when needed. Maybe it could even be jeffos or one of the other main sws guys (Tim, you won't be forgotten!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Actually, I don't think a native inetgration would be the ultimate solution.

I like consider that SWS is like the open source part of REAPER, which is closed and proprietary. Seing all these features created and shared by the community is definitly inspiring.
All we need is a person with the skill, the will and the time to take the project. Even if it just for maintenance (correcting bugs).
It will not be easy to find, unfortunately.

Side note : Scripts cannot remplace SWS, there is a lot of things you can do in a C++ extension that can't be done with scripts.. Plus, a lot of scripts actually use SWS functions.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:11 AM   #263
planetnine

I would like to try to update some of this SWS code, but I know I've got a steep learning curve ahead of me.

I've go lots of dumb stupid questions to ask, but need help to get me get a "foot on the ladder", if someone could recommend resources, give me a helping hand, etc -there's just too much to take in at the moment.

I don't know how it goes together, the type of C language to use, the environment, how to compile, even how to set up and use GitHub at times. I'd like to take programming another step (and I did some C-programming about 20 years ago), but I'm lost at sea ATM.

I did try to pull the Breeder Stretch-Marker mouse context extension to pieces with a view to updating it and I did work out what was needed for this particular extension, but didn't get an environment set up to test it. If I can make progress setting this up, I'll dig my notes out and try to update it.

Breeder did tell me that he would be unable to hold my hand with the learning and programming, I know he has much more important things to concentrate on right now. I think he was also quite dissillusioned with lack of response to some requests to the Devs to help evolve some functions.

I'm not a natural "coder" and I'm not in with the programming crowd, but I can get stuff done given the info and some time. I'm prepared to try, but I need some help.

>

Last edited by planetnine; 05-11-2016 at 03:17 AM.
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:45 AM   #264
nofish

^^ Not trying to self-tap myself on the shoulder but I recently tried starting with SWS extensions and I didn't find it that hard actually to get it basically going.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=12

So if you want, PM me or start a new thread in the dev forum and I'd try to help.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:40 AM   #265
Thalamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
bug with Reposition selected items in 5.18
start and end buttons are not toggling

Works okay here in 5.20 on Windows 7 (64bit).
Thalamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #266
prezbass

I think someone else asked this question, but I can't find the answer.

Is there a link someone can post (or send me a private message) to download the latest version of SWS? All I see on the site is 2.8.3 and I would very much like to at least try out the new stuff.

My life would be greatly complicated without those extensions. I seriously hope someone picks up this ball and runs with it.
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #267
gibi25

See the first post of this thread.
gibi25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:39 AM   #268
prezbass

My bad! Didn't see that!!

prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #269
airon

Nofish and Planetnine can certainly jump in to the fray with a little help.

Musicbynumbers , what's the chance of some game dev companies contributing maybe a day a month of programming time to the project ?

It's likely worth a bit of everyones time to keep this extension maintained. Maybe we can rustle up some help from Ubisoft Montreal for example.

It might garner some new contributors. Can anyone say whether game dev studios have an interest in this ?

I use the loudness normalization actions a LOT. I'm pretty certain game audio devs do too.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #270
memyselfandus

That and also just integrate all of it into reaper!
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #271
DeathByGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandus View Post
That and also just integrate all of it into reaper!
As much as I'd like to see that happen, no idea how feasible that would be. They'd be adding a crazy ammount of extra code and functions into the main codebase and who knows how many things that would break.
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #272
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post

Musicbynumbers , what's the chance of some game dev companies contributing maybe a day a month of programming time to the project ?

It's likely worth a bit of everyones time to keep this extension maintained. Maybe we can rustle up some help from Ubisoft Montreal for example.

It might garner some new contributors. Can anyone say whether game dev studios have an interest in this ?

I use the loudness normalization actions a LOT. I'm pretty certain game audio devs do too.
I do not think that the development and maintenance of such fundamental parts of REAPER should be up to the community or other companies. REAPER/Cockos is not a charity, nor is it a community-based open-source project, nor is it strapped for cash. It is not even cheap as is commonly assumed ($225/$60 for a REAPER license, versus $200 for Logic Pro, $50 for SONAR X3 LE, etc). Cockos - if they wanted to - can easily appoint a programmer to maintain SWS, to perfect REAPER's MIDI editing features, and to implement many other features that users have long asked for.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #273
airon

The idea was to just maintain the extension.

Two of us are already interested.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:08 PM   #274
memyselfandus

I have a noob question. How does one maintain a script anyway? If something gets broken with a reaper update.. Do you just change some lines of code? How do you know what to change? Props on helping, airon!
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:28 PM   #275
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post

I think we are better off looking to the programmers of audio middleware like Fabric or some of the freelance audio programmers I know as a lot of game companies don't have many on site audio unless they are doing triple A and even then they are only just starting to go to reaper instead of Nuendo or Protools (and that's only some of the them anyway.)

I'd happily contribute to someone keeping it maintained. Maybe it could even be jeffos if we could pay him enough.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #276
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
I would like to try to update some of this SWS code, but I know I've got a steep learning curve ahead of me.
I actually took a look at the SWS code at Github myself a while ago, hoping to fix the long-standing bug with the LFO generator. Unfortunately, I found that the code was written so abstrusely, with no comments and undecipherable variable names, that I gave up. It would be easier to write a new LFO generator in Lua.

Is there perhaps another version of the SWS code that has lots of comments? (Perhaps a privately maintained version with commments that the developers wrote as reminders to themselves?)
Old 05-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #277
wol

Even I've not pushed since January I'm still around here. I'd like to continue my SWS contribution but I don't have much time, actually I have some code I've never had time to test and push.
I might help if someone wants to start, at least for what I've learnt myself.
wol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:04 AM   #278
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
It would be easier to write a new LFO generator in Lua.

I would donate to help fund this if need be.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:48 AM   #279
heda

Xenakios did an amazing automation LFO generator in Lua
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...82#post1509582
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #280
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
Xenakios did an amazing automation LFO generator in Lua
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...82#post1509582
Unfortunately it is currently in a non-finished and very unusable state. There maybe was some intermediate version that worked half decently. But the latest code in BitBucket certainly isn't that.