Old 11-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #81
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

I do still play my passive guitars tbh, I just can't use them on a decent percentage of recordings. I stopped using them live when I got my AM Deluxe Strat last year, it was just so much quieter and so much less volume knob jockeying than my previous main '83 Am Std. I still play the '83 at home much of the time when not recording etc. but the Deluxe is also a damn nice sounding and playing guitar so I sort of move between the two at home.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #82
richie43

I use my various "true" single coil guitars quite a bit live. This is rock and roll, it's not supposed to be too clean and sterile....
Old 11-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #83
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I do still play my passive guitars tbh, I just can't use them on a decent percentage of recordings. I stopped using them live when I got my AM Deluxe Strat last year, it was just so much quieter and so much less volume knob jockeying than my previous main '83 Am Std. I still play the '83 at home much of the time when not recording etc. but the Deluxe is also a damn nice sounding and playing guitar so I sort of move between the two at home.
While guitar is not my first instrument, I own a LOT of them and hand picked each one to achieve different sounds. When I bought my Strat, I bought it specifically for the Strat sound, as if I were buying a color to add to my paint palette. No two guitars that I own duplicate the sound of each other. I have semi-hollow body 6 and 12 strings, solid body 6 strings with humbuckers and passive single coils, and a prized 1934 Gibson L-00 acoustic that sounds like a million bucks and belonged to my dad when he was a kid.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #84
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I use my various "true" single coil guitars quite a bit live. This is rock and roll, it's not supposed to be too clean and sterile....
I know but I lots of things I do such as long fades, and noise completely f$ucks those.

Or, I just give those types of nuances up and I'm not going to at this point. Again, that's the rub, why in the hell does a difference in the nuance of noiseless vs passive matter if it is swamped in noise, it really doesn't make any practical sense but it does make a lot of forum fodder watercooler debate sense. I know it isn't 'that' big a difference as I own multiples of both types so I'm not buying that night/day crap.

You guys please don't berate me into spending time I could use doing better things proving this simple point with real-world examples.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #85
chip mcdonald

Quote:
You guys need to clarify "lot of gain" me thinks. That's an incredibly broad and subjective term.
Not required in this context.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #86
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
Not required in this context.
It is if we keep saying "with lots of gain" it is.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #87
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post

I watched a double blind test where two guys were handed four different Strats to see if they could identify what was the low end Squire, mid range MIM/MIJ and high end American Standard / Custom Shop.
I think I know the video you're talking about, and while I respect those guys in general they sometimes... do things that don't make sense.

Most "comparisons" on You Tube drive me crazy.

"Here is the sound of my new Two Rock vs.my Boss Katana. I'll be using my EMG equipped Epi Les Paul into my Metal Zone, preamped with my Klone Sintered pedal for maximum tone, dood!"

No, wait, actually the biggest mistake people make (including the guys referenced at the top) is,

"Here is a demo of this new amp with the tone controls set to 12 o'clock".

I'm not sure if there are many that realize why that's... not really what you want to do for an amp demo, I guess it's not obvious, yet most "amp reviews" do this. And it's dumb.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #88
chip mcdonald

Quote:
It's a shame so many potentially great recordings were made unlistenable because of noisy single coils.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #89
karbomusic

Quote:
It's a shame so many potentially great recordings were made unlistenable because of noisy single coils.
I don't give a shit about everyone else's recordings.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #90
chip mcdonald

Quote:
It is if we keep saying "with lots of gain" it is.
No, you are answering your own question. If the noise is obtrusive, then there is a fair amount of gain present, isn't there?
Old 11-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #91
chip mcdonald

Quote:
I don't give a shit about everyone else's recordings.
Yeah, who cares about what Jeff Beck, Brian May, Gilmour, Page, Hendrix, SRV, Eric Johnson, Yngwie... nobody cares about those guys, if only they hadn't used those noisy pickups.... Morons.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #92
Glennbo

Quote:
"Here is a demo of this new amp with the tone controls set to 12 o'clock".

I'm not sure if there are many that realize why that's... not really what you want to do for an amp demo, I guess it's not obvious, yet most "amp reviews" do this. And it's dumb.
My favorite sound using my Strat is setting the tone pot bypass mode on the guitar, so the middle and bridge pickups are straight wired to the volume pot, and then straight into a little 20w Orange amp on my desk set clean with little gain and no other effects. That feeds a vintage twin 12" Gretsch speaker cab with a Sennheiser MD421 on it isolated in the closet of my studio.

The tone is noiseless and very balanced with detail and character that no other guitar I own has. I used to think higher output single coils were what I wanted, but have since learned that I really like the sound of lower output and more balanced tone more.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #93
karbomusic

Quote:
Yeah, who cares about what Jeff Beck, Brian May, Gilmour, Page, Hendrix, SRV, Eric Johnson, Yngwie... nobody cares about those guys, if only they hadn't used those noisy pickups.... Morons.
Right, I certainly don't care about them when making my music. Why care about them when I get to be me.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #94
richie43

I have already said that I personally am not a fan of noiseless pickups for my guitars... I love even the imperfections of single coils.
I have heard some guitar work in Karbo's music, and regardless of whether he uses pickups I like to use, his tone is stellar. I am going to guess that the best takeaway from all of this is that each of us needs to use what makes the most sense to ourselves and not assume that our choices are right for anyone else.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:52 AM   #95
karbomusic

Quote:
I am going to guess that the best takeaway from all of this is that each of us needs to use what makes the most sense to ourselves and not assume that our choices are right for anyone else.
Of course and absolutely. Additionally none of those albums mentioned have the problem I'm speaking of. Most of us here don't have the pristine environment (from an EMF standpoint) those studios have. I'd challenge anyone here to pop open Dark Side of the Moon et al and show me the noise I'm speaking of, it isn't there to be picked up to begin with. If I had those conditions (and believe me I've considered finding a way to make my studio a Faraday cage), I'd never have put noiseless in the 2 of 13 guitars I own.

There are plenty of scenarios I can use the non-noiseless so this isn't a fanboy decision and it isn't about passive vs noiseless or anything, it's about certain scenarios where any reasonable person would call that noise and its affect on the sginal questionable or unusable. However, I do try to respect most everyone here whom has proven over time that their experience and expertise outweighs their shit talking, I expect the same in return. Obviously that isn't about you or anyone in particular.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-14-2017 at 12:20 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #96
richie43

Quote:
Obviously that isn't about you or anyone in particular.
And my comment was not directed at you....But was directed at someone in particular....Ha, my secret though.