Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 11-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
themixtape
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Note Editor - simple primary colors by pitch? (ROYGBIV) Hookpad

I would love to do this for my students... ever see Hookpad? The site is fun to use but I'd love to be able to do this in Reaper. Especially if the MIDI editor can somewhat be constrained to only two octaves.

C - red, D - orange... etc.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

I'm also getting pretty tired of the drab midi note editor colors... just want something that "pops" a little more. Almost like FL Studio with its darker background and green midi.... or ideally, the ROYGBIV (rainbow) colors, by pitch. In every octave. C - always red (no matter the velocity), D - always orange (no matter... etc)

This would especially be helpful for my students who I always show Reaper to.

Thanks guys!

Old 11-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
I'm also getting pretty tired of the drab midi note editor colors... just want something that "pops" a little more. Almost like FL Studio with its darker background and green midi.... or ideally, the ROYGBIV (rainbow) colors, by pitch. In every octave. C - always red (no matter the velocity), D - always orange (no matter... etc)
You can do this by editing or making your own midi_note_colormap.png image which is inside the theme.
MIDI Color Map Explanation
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=78839

You'll also have to change Color to Pitch, bottom of the MIDI editor, for the note (pitch) colors to show.

For the actual MIDI editor colors, open the theme tweaker from Actions (Theme development: Show theme tweak/configuration). The MIDI editor colors are about half way down the list.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:05 AM   #3
mplay

Resurrecting this old thread, maybe someone knows if it possible to do what I want before I dive in the theme editing mentioned here. Ideally I'd like to have the background of the midi editor use the colors as hookpad has them. This would mean that they also have to follow the selected scale, i.e. the root note is always red, supertonic orange, etc. Would this be possible? Thanks in advance!
mplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:13 AM   #4
Rockum

I don't know if you could get the same effect Hooktheory does for non-diatonic chromatic notes.

The Smooth Skin uses similar colors.
Rockum is offline   Reply With Quote