Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

View Poll Results: Interested?
Yes 61 80.26%
No 15 19.74%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2016, 03:35 AM   #41
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
See post #36
Sorry I didn't see it
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:40 AM   #42
Alxi

I mean how not confidant or afraid do you have to be to take a simple mix exercise and turn it into something very complicated and elaborate.

I think it's simple enough.

We all have the same song to mix, we only use Reaper and JS plugins + maybe some impulses for reverb. We all take pictures of our dicks and then we post that shit online...

Come on now , lets get on with it and stop winning

Last edited by Alxi; 07-31-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Alxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:18 AM   #43
lolilol1975

Yeah I'm in.

The difficulty is to find material for the contest. I know it's a major issue on the KVR mixing contest.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #44
Jeffsounds

Who will be the impartial judge(s)?
Old 07-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #45
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolilol1975 View Post
Yeah I'm in.

The difficulty is to find material for the contest. I know it's a major issue on the KVR mixing contest.
If you're in vote yes in the poll!

We are going to choose a song from this site: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm
Old 07-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #46
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Still don't know... I have a few ideas but I'm going to ask next week if there will be more "yes" than "no" in the poll
Old 07-30-2016, 04:17 PM   #47
alanofoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxi View Post
I think it's simple enough.

We all have the same song to mix, we only use Reaper, JS & free plugins + maybe some impulses for reverb. We all post our rpp files...
There, fixed that for ya!

I personally think that free plugins should be allowed for more flexibiliy. They should be free and currently available.

I also think the idea is of little use without the project file.

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:43 PM   #48
Lawrence

Grab something from MixOff.org. Lots of good material there.

As to the other thing, I disagree about learning by using a level playing field. I think people learn more, and get better perspectives, when the conditions are real world, to use whatever you have and do your best. Just my $0.02... have fun.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:46 PM   #49
heda

When do we start?
How do we start?
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #50
Tod

I'd like to find the time to participate in this, but not sure I can.

However, I think it's a great idea to use only Reaper plugins. I think that offers a good learning experience for both the experienced and unexperienced, and I know that even if I can't participate I will eagerly be following it.

In all honesty I hope the song that is picked has some good sounding tracks and is not all distorted guitar.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:28 PM   #51
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
However, I think it's a great idea to use only Reaper plugins... I think that offers a good learning experience for both the experienced and unexperienced ...
... and it might finally nail once and for all this rubbish (I suspect based on their no-nonsense unsexy interface!) that occasionally surfaces about Reaper plug-ins allegedly being no good!
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:39 PM   #52
ivansc

Absolutely agree re the Reaper plugins, but I have a hard enough time getting down to making music without another avoidance strategy!
Old 07-31-2016, 01:26 AM   #53
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanofoz View Post
There, fixed that for ya!

I personally think that free plugins should be allowed for more flexibiliy. They should be free and currently available.

I also think the idea is of little use without the project file.
The project file has to be shared!
Old 07-31-2016, 01:30 AM   #54
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
When do we start?
How do we start?
The poll will remain open until next Friday! Then we decide all the details. For now it's just to see if there are people interested
Old 07-31-2016, 01:31 AM   #55
DaveKeehl

Quote:
I'd like to find the time to participate in this, but not sure I can.

However, I think it's a great idea to use only Reaper plugins. I think that offers a good learning experience for both the experienced and unexperienced, and I know that even if I can't participate I will eagerly be following it.

In all honesty I hope the song that is picked has some good sounding tracks and is not all distorted guitar.
Hey Tod nice to see you here! Great comment!
Old 07-31-2016, 01:44 AM   #56
Marcin Szwajcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodee View Post
Would it be possible for you to provide stems then?

Jeśli się nie mylę to Pan pracował z Akurat, tak?
O rany, chyba z 8 lat temu
Old 07-31-2016, 05:54 AM   #57
Lawrence

Quote:
Even though I won't be participating, ^^^ good point ^^^.

It seems these things are 90% rock, like that's the only genre on earth, which is largely why I stopped doing them on the net, the group mix thing, because it gets fatiguing always seeing the same range of genre. Occasionally you'd see one with a hip-hop song or a synth pop song but 90% of the time it's rock with lots of guitars. Almost never jazz or good R&B or anything else but mostly something in rock.

I'd joined a private Facebook group, a mix group where people post stems and everyone mixes them, and I swear, all of the music stems they posted for people to mix were rock-ish. I messaged the group owner suggesting he should change the group name to "Rock Mix Group" since that's all they ever did.

I wonder if those musicians or recording hobbyists or whatever actually ever even regularly listen to any other kind of music.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:00 AM   #58
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Even though I won't be participating, ^^^ good point ^^^.

It seems these things are 90% rock, like that's the only genre on earth, which is largely why I stopped doing them on the net, the group mix thing, because it gets fatiguing always seeing the same range of genre. Occasionally you'd see one with a hip-hop song or a synth pop song but 90% of the time it's rock with lots of guitars. Almost never jazz or good R&B or anything else but mostly something in rock.

I'd joined a private Facebook group, a mix group where people post stems and everyone mixes them, and I swear, all of the music stems they posted for people to mix were rock-ish. I messaged the group owner suggesting he should change the group name to "Rock Mix Group" since that's all they ever did.

I wonder if those musicians or recording hobbyists or whatever actually ever even regularly listen to any other kind of music.
It would be cool to organize a contest/challenge every month with always a different genre. You know... just to get out of our own comfort zone
Old 07-31-2016, 06:01 AM   #59
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
... and it might finally nail once and for all this rubbish (I suspect based on their no-nonsense unsexy interface!) that occasionally surfaces about Reaper plug-ins allegedly being no good!
I will politely disagree. I think users (grown ups) should have moved beyond the need to try to "prove" anything like that already. Some of the comments sound more like ... "...let's make a Reaper plugin commercial to prove to the world that it's plugins are good... "... which should be unnecessary for anyone with half a brain.

If anyone doesn't know that by now, that you can make a good mix with any workstation's stock audio plugins these days, then they're just plain stupid and aren't worth trying to "convince" of anything.... or they're so insecure they need to try to continually prove something.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:04 AM   #60
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
It would be cool to organize a contest/challenge every month with always a different genre. You know... just to get out of our own comfort zone
True. That's why I did so many rock mixes (stems from various places) because I literally never work on rock in the studio. I did it intentionally, to try to learn how to better mix those genres. I kinda suck at it actually, the heavy rock guitars and all that. But after awhile as relates to doing group mixes on the net for fun, it gets really boring quickly for me because it's almost always rock. As the old saying goes, variety is the spice of life.

The last time I did one of those group mixes was last summer on a private audio forum, this song. Wasn't fully happy with the result and some of the other mixes (from some full time pros) were really outstanding... http://theaudiocave.com/mixes/summer15/praise.mp3

Last edited by Lawrence; 07-31-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:04 AM   #61
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
I won't have time to participate, but why don't you all judge each other?

Everyone gets a vote, with the rule that you can't vote for yourself.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:33 AM   #62
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I won't have time to participate, but why don't you all judge each other?

Everyone gets a vote, with the rule that you can't vote for yourself.
Mmmh cool idea. We could create a google form for this. I don't know how to avoid the auto-vote possibility though. Does anyone know how to do it?
Old 07-31-2016, 10:40 AM   #63
Lawrence

Here's a thought: Get an independent person like Nicholas to collect and tag all of the mixes and then post them somewhere with no names attached, and then let other people who didn't participate stream them to rate them without knowing who did them.

Then later after everyone has voted and rated them, add the names of the mix persons.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:18 AM   #64
karbomusic

Quote:
Then it turns into a "let's do this with one hand ties behind our backs" kind of thing instead on someone approaching it doing their best with no limitations.
So you can't mix without all your favorite VSTs at your fingertips? Are you chicken?.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:22 AM   #65
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Here's a thought: Get an independent person like Nicholas to collect and tag all of the mixes and then post them somewhere with no names attached, and then let other people who didn't participate stream them to rate them without knowing who did them.

Then later after everyone has voted and rated them, add the names of the mix persons.
I like that.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:29 AM   #66
Lawrence

Quote:
Then it turns into a "let's do this with one hand ties behind our backs" kind of thing instead on someone approaching it doing their best with no limitations.
Well... it just takes longer unless you always do that. I mean, one reason you use your fave plugs isn't always because they necessarily sound better but because you'e familiar with them.

If I had to mix a big 40 track song with only ReaPlugs, 30% of my time would be spent trying to recreate something from my plugin library, or from other plugs I normally use like Waves Doubler or something, so it would just take longer to get to a familiar place, digging through 200 JSFX trying to find something... the basics aside, EQ, Delay, Comp... so I'd end up taking longer to do what I normally do... like digging through a big stack of freeware reverb IR's I'm not familiar with.

Last edited by Lawrence; 07-31-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:40 AM   #67
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I like that.
Yeah, if it's a "contest" make it blind and fair and keep the people who mixed from voting on any of it.

Then you also keep grudges out of it, like if guitarboy77 doesn't like Serr and gives his mix a low vote even though it's good. Keep it blind. Nicholas should take all of the wave mixes, load them up in Reaper, and make their apparent levels somewhat consistent with gain/trim first though, so they're generally all at the same apparent level, otherwise, louder sounds better.

I suppose Nicholas is thinking... "Why the fuck did he volunteer me???"
Old 07-31-2016, 02:49 PM   #68
heda

I don't mind if it is a mix of distorted guitars... it would be an opportunity to force me to mix distorted guitars, because I don't usually do it. If it is for learning, you never end learning... There could be a contest each month or two.. with different music styles. Then we can keep learning more.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:17 PM   #69
Incomprehensible

I'm probably not as experienced at mixing as most of you here, but this seems like it would be a good chance to learn some things, so I'm in.
Incomprehensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:39 PM   #70
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Quote:
However, I think it's a great idea to use only Reaper plugins. I think that offers a good learning experience for both the experienced and unexperienced
I totally agree Nicholas, I think there's a lot of good folks that don't realize or understand how good Reapers plug-ins actually are. I don't care how un-sexy they might be, I guess you could consider them sort of "Plain Jane", but everything's there in spades.

A comment on why I think just using ReaPlugs might be a good idea. There have been 2 or 3 mixing contests in Reaper that I've either participated in, or followed along. It was great when the participants posted their Reaper projects, especially when they used all ReaPlugs. It made following what they did much easier, and it was extremely interesting to see how they routed their tracks and used their FX.

I think it could be a good learning experience for everyone.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:59 PM   #71
tgraph

I'd give it a try. I've been getting tracks from the Cambridge and Telefunken sites lately if you are looking for things to work with.
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:28 PM   #72
metal_priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod
It was great when the participants posted their Reaper projects, especially when they used all ReaPlugs. It made following what they did much easier, and it was extremely interesting to see how they routed their tracks and used their FX
that's the whole point!
and that's why I originally thought it with a text file (or the notes in the project) where everyone should explain what, or better, why they did what they did!
Being able to read what I do while you're taking a look to my project can be very usefull to learn something new, to grab some cool idea or even to say "ok, I will never do that 'cause i really don't like it" that is something to learn too, isn't it?
metal_priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:01 AM   #73
Studio Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
so use JS Saturation or Bad Bus Mojo instead. (and a white noise generator for the full Waves experiences :lol: )
Nice one I wouldn't mind to stop using NLS for just one mix but NLS is more than saturation and noise it can be used as a brickwall limiter.

About Reaper plugins,
Oh man I'm new to Reaper but I used the Multiband compressor from the day I started using Reaper. The only thing which I found off is the Knee setting. No matter how much I tweak it, it doesn't sound the way I want it to sound. Other than that it is in my favourite list I also use EQ frequently. From my experience, those plugins are great and they will do the job done.

May I suggest this song to the poll. http://www.telefunken-elektroakustik...es-mic-summit/
Studio Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:43 AM   #74
DaveKeehl

Does anyone know how to make a thread sticky? Or only admins can do it?
Old 08-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #75
HoJo

Hi All.

Yes,I like it, no - love it!
In fact, I have been waiting for something like this.
Though I also will probably not join in mixing, but would probably be one of those judge listeners :-)

BR,
HoJo
HoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:28 PM   #76
jpanderson80

I'm going to win for the "Most Overly-Complicated Mixing Template". I know it!

What genre of music are we talking about here?
Old 08-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #77
DaveKeehl

Ok apparently the Cambridge website is dealing with cyber attacks. I hope they get back on track as soon as possible because I don't know any other good sites that provide the same amount of free multitrack sessions...
Old 08-04-2016, 06:27 AM   #78
jpanderson80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
Ok apparently the Cambridge website is dealing with cyber attacks. I hope they get back on track as soon as possible because I don't know any other good sites that provide the same amount of free multitrack sessions...
http://www.telefunken-elektroakustik...ck-session.php

Telefunken has good ones... studio and live.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:39 AM   #79
kirk1701

I voted yes. I'm concerned that I wouldn't be able to replace my Britson, which I use as a gain staging plugin. I don't have any issues with EQ and comp, but gain staging would be a bigger challenge.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:42 AM   #80
DaveKeehl

Ok thanks everyone for voting yes Saturday the 6th I'm gonna start a new thread for the next stage of this contest where we'll talk about all the details! So make sure to jump on the forum page every now and then