Old 02-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #41
Brickwall Audio
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijohn View Post
Wow. Just watched this video, and I have to say it again... WOW! I've scored for full orchestra (my degree is in Music Theory and Composition, Baylor -- go Bears! , so I know the kind of work you put into this. It takes a bit to impress me these days, and I must say I am impressed.

I'm seriously considering selling one of my children for that Hollywood Strings package. Boy is it huge, they ship it on a feakin hard drive!

I know it's been over a month since you posted the video, but do you think you could repost it in HD (720p)?

Also, I would love to look over your project template, if you feel up to sharing it...
Hi! Thanks for the nice words!
I hope you guys also check my other stuff in my humble youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/brickwallaudio

I would love to do another video in 720 rez, but as I am running a 32bit OS, my video editing application runs out of memory trying to render the entire video unless I set the frame rate to something like 10fps, and that looks kinda silly. As soon as I upgrade to windows 7 (or vista 64 bit), I'll start making high rez videos!

And for all of you guys who are lusting after my template, here it is:

http://www.erikekholm.com/download/o...l_template.zip

This REAPER Project File is my default setup for working with orchestral arrangements.

To use this template to it's fullest, you will need the PLAY editions of:

Symphonic Orchestra Gold
Symphonic Choirs
Storm Drum 2
Ministry of Rock

I have sett the PLAY plug-ins to off-line, so you should be able to load this template even if you do not have the aforementioned libraries!

The PLAY plug-ins are pre-set to load my default working setups using a selection of strings, horns, and drums. You should only need to load them up and Go!

The [master] setups means that I have loaded the full Key-switch patches, and set them up to use the articulations I mostly work with. If you insert a MIDI item on that track, you should notice that the lowest and highest ranges of that particular patch, as well as the Key-switches in the piano-roll are already marked out!
Old 03-12-2010, 12:13 AM   #42
Inquisitor

Default Suggestions for East West modules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickwall Audio View Post

.... To use this template to it's fullest, you will need the PLAY editions of:

Symphonic Orchestra Gold
Symphonic Choirs
Storm Drum 2
Ministry of Rock

I have sett the PLAY plug-ins to off-line, so you should be able to load this template even if you do not have the aforementioned libraries!....
Hi!

I love all the stuff you've placed on youtube! Very dramatic and professional.

I'm not sure whether this has been discussed before or appropriate but could you tell me what are the EWQL libraries you use? I am contemplating purchasing the CCC customized edition and am planning on swapping out the Piano library for the Ministry of Rock lib. I would also like to have the Gypsy lib in there somewhere but am not sure what to swap that with. Do you have any recommendations?
Inquisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:19 AM   #43
Brickwall Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor View Post
Hi!

I love all the stuff you've placed on youtube! Very dramatic and professional.

I'm not sure whether this has been discussed before or appropriate but could you tell me what are the EWQL libraries you use? I am contemplating purchasing the CCC customized edition and am planning on swapping out the Piano library for the Ministry of Rock lib. I would also like to have the Gypsy lib in there somewhere but am not sure what to swap that with. Do you have any recommendations?
I use a a lot of Symphonic Orchestra Gold Complete, Ministry of rock, Storm drum 2, Symphonic Choirs, as well as tone hammer's stuff, and my own custom recorded libraries. (Soon to be released btw)
Old 10-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #44
shawnguess

very cool stuff man. sounds like a strong dose of charlie clouser influence, who i love.
shawnguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #45
hardplay

Breath taking at the least, bravo!!
Old 11-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #46
COBI

Default EW/QLSO

I too am very impressed with what you have done here!

A huge part of my interest is that I am considering buying one or more EW/QL sound libraries, but in researching them (and after contacting the EW/QL tech support folks), I found that, although their sound libraries should work in REAPER, it is not officially supported. So, if you run into trouble, you're pretty much on your own.

So, I was already planning to start a thread (if I couldn't find an existing one) asking REAPER users what kind of experiences they've had with EW/QL. Obviously, with this example, it does work very well in REAPER. But I still have lots of questions.

Should I go ahead and start that new thread, or could we maybe talk off-forum about your experiences. Before I make that kind of investment, I want to make sure it's going to work the way I want it to!

Please let me know...
COBI
COBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:02 AM   #47
Brickwall Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI View Post
I too am very impressed with what you have done here!

A huge part of my interest is that I am considering buying one or more EW/QL sound libraries, but in researching them (and after contacting the EW/QL tech support folks), I found that, although their sound libraries should work in REAPER, it is not officially supported. So, if you run into trouble, you're pretty much on your own.

So, I was already planning to start a thread (if I couldn't find an existing one) asking REAPER users what kind of experiences they've had with EW/QL. Obviously, with this example, it does work very well in REAPER. But I still have lots of questions.

Should I go ahead and start that new thread, or could we maybe talk off-forum about your experiences. Before I make that kind of investment, I want to make sure it's going to work the way I want it to!

Please let me know...
COBI

Hi Cobi,
I'm going to be honest - PLAY is working well in Reaper (I have no idea why it would be unsupported... PLAY works better in Reaper than in Logic, for instance) However, I'm more and more slipping away from PLAY and now concentrating my workflow into a KONTAKT only setup.

There are many reasons for this - the first is that KONTAKT is a much more evolved platform with much much bigger creative possibilities.

The second reason is that there's a huge, enormous amount of 3rd party libraries available for KONTAKT (including my own free one's .
Also, and maybe it's just my ears, but KONTAKT sounds better to me than PLAY does. I'm sure this is down to the actual instruments I use, but it's a big deal for me.

I just yesterday posted a new track in this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=69035

There's also a 3 page .pdf tutorial where I outline my workflow - as you will see, it's heavily based around KONTAKT.

Basically, I would spend my hard earned cash on KONTAKT and some high end libraries, and rest easy in the knowledge that it will work!
Old 11-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #48
COBI

Default Composing in Reaper

Thanks for the response! I'll have to check out KONTAKT again. I have a version of KONTACT (2, I think), but I got away from using it with the Garritan Personal Orchestra in Finale, because it was such a resource hog. The relatively new Aria player from Garritan is much more efficient as a player, much less of a resource hog. Anyway, I have no idea what version of KONTAKT is current, but I will check it out.

In the meantime, this raises the question for me: Would the EW/QL sound libraries work with the Aria player? Do you have any knowledge of or experience with that?

Thanks again,
COBI
Old 11-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #49
scottedog

I'll second the Kontakt approach to using EWQLSO, runs brilliantly in Reaper.

Kontakt is currently at v4, btw.

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
scottedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:19 AM   #50
Brickwall Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI View Post
Thanks for the response! I'll have to check out KONTAKT again. I have a version of KONTACT (2, I think), but I got away from using it with the Garritan Personal Orchestra in Finale, because it was such a resource hog. The relatively new Aria player from Garritan is much more efficient as a player, much less of a resource hog. Anyway, I have no idea what version of KONTAKT is current, but I will check it out.

In the meantime, this raises the question for me: Would the EW/QL sound libraries work with the Aria player? Do you have any knowledge of or experience with that?

Thanks again,
COBI
I don't think that the EW/QL libraries will work in Aria player.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #51
COBI

I was afraid of that.

In the meantime, I *have* been doing some checking on KONTAKT 4, and I find that the player is free, whereas the full version is several hundred dollars. Is the player by itself worth it for the purposes of EW/QL, or does one really need the full version?
Old 11-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #52
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottedog View Post
I'll second the Kontakt approach to using EWQLSO, runs brilliantly in Reaper.
What does this means? Does it means we can just load any EastWest product into Kontakt and forgo the play engine altogether?
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #53
cerendir

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
What does this means? Does it means we can just load any EastWest product into Kontakt and forgo the play engine altogether?
No current PLAY libraries will run in Kontakt, PLAY is an entirely different format. The old EW libraries used Kompakt though (a stripped-down version of Kontakt) and those will work in Kontakt. The Kompakt versions aren't being sold anymore though.

Edit: the PLAY format uses plain wave files though so theoretically you could map these yourself and use them in whatever sampler you fancy. But it would be an insane amount of work, not to mention that you would lose a lot of features native to the PLAY engine, special articulations etc.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #54
bullshark

Thanks cerendir, that's what I thought and why I'm not considering EW products.

Still left with the question of what scottedog meant by "the Kontakt approach to using EWQLSO", which, to me, meant loading EW stuff into Kontakt(which was clarified as not working).
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #55
COBI

Yes, thank you for the clarification. I was under the impression that the EW/QL libraries would run in either PLAY or KONTAKT. Apparently not so.

The good part is that I don't have to worry about shelling out another few hundred dollars for the KONTAKT engine.

:-D