Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-30-2020, 08:15 PM   #1
guitaruana
Human being with feelings

Default Can't get plugins to work

Absolute newbie here with very limited computer skills to begin with, unable to get plugins to work. All the youtube videos seem to gloss over a particular step or two that I just can't figure out. It's absolutely maddening. Are there any bettter instructions out there? I've read some of the reaper instructions but can't seem to find the right answers and I fear I don't even know the right questions to ask.

HELP

frustrated.
guitaruana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:59 PM   #2
Softsynth

Watch Kenny's videos:
https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:02 AM   #3
ivansc

Hi & welcome to the forums.
First step for any new user should be to check out the free user guide, which you seem to have done, AND check out the free video tutorials. Kenny Gioia`s in particular are excellent for helping you get your head around how DAWs in general and reaper in particular work.

Understanding the concept of HOW plugins work and more importantly HOW they should be installed & accessed is not that complicated but there are pitfalls. Kenny covers them all really well.
A couple of questions that may lead you in the right direction.

Where did you install your plugins?
One of the classic newb mistakes is to put third party plugins in the Reaper plugins directory, despite there being a warning message in that file that it is NOT intended for anything but reapers own native plugins, which are not vst or Au or any of the other formats.
Best idea is to let the plugins decide for themselves where they want to install, but if they give you the option, create folder(s) to take them. Typically, vst and vsti in a folder like C:\Program Files\vst plugins64 or \Program files (x86)\vst plugins32 for 32bit one.
Enter these in the vst locations window which you will find at options\preferences\plugins\vst\ and then do a clear/rescan, which will tell reaper where your plugins are.
When you then try to add a plugin to a track, the plugin listing window will open and show you the plugins you have installed. Whatever you do, DO NOT just add C:\ or C:\ program files to your location list, as this will then search (for ages) for every .dll file on your computer. There are a gazillion of them and almost none are audio plugins!!

Let us know how you get on.

Bugger! Softsynth started typing long after me, but I talk too much!
Old 05-31-2020, 07:44 PM   #4
guitaruana

Thank you Ivansc and Softsynth, for your help. Much appreciated.
I'll let you know how it goes.
guitaruana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:32 AM   #5
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaruana View Post
Absolute newbie here with very limited computer skills to begin with, unable to get plugins to work.
Could you be a little more precise, e.g. explain exactly what you have been trying to do (which plug-ins? and step by step what have you been doing?) - we can then take it from there ...
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:16 AM   #6
Dr. Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaruana View Post
Absolute newbie here with very limited computer skills to begin with, unable to get plugins to work. All the youtube videos seem to gloss over a particular step or two that I just can't figure out. It's absolutely maddening. Are there any bettter instructions out there? I've read some of the reaper instructions but can't seem to find the right answers and I fear I don't even know the right questions to ask.

HELP

frustrated.
Could you try to describe in more detail exactly what the problem you are having is? For example what steps are missing from the you tube videos, what plugins you are using etc.
Dr. Who is offline   Reply With Quote