Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-12-2018, 04:17 AM   #1
RIRSteve
Human being with feelings

Default Which version for cross-platform & different OS versions....

Hi everybody....

Although it is usually recommended to utilize the latest version of any software, should I install a specific older version of Cockos Reaper for the following reasons:

My main workstation computer is an older Mac with OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

And, I have a newer Mac running Yosemite (this one is basically "next in line" or considered a backup workstation). However, the older Mac [10.6] has a larger hard drive [meaning it holds much of my personal files and older sessions of various projects in the past, etc - and yes I do have several backups] and is it a machine I've used for years and it does everything well. The newer Mac may be more powerful with more RAM but I like limitations because it keeps my productions in check.

Now also, occasionally I like to track some takes/performances outside my studio in open places and/or just while spending time elsewhere for a different environment on one or two of my PC laptops. One is running Windows 8.1 and the other Windows 10 [The PC's are mostly used for business but it's obviously very practical for mobility].

The question is: Which version of Cockos Reaper should I install for a smooth workflow between these computers?

An important consideration is the older Mac's RAM and CPU.

NOTE: No need to mention warn about plugins compatibility (example: making sure they're installed on all computers) since the way I track performances outside of my main workstation is by creating new tracks (example: Voxes) adjacent to a rendered master mix re-imported into a 'save as' session with all previous individual tracks (from the original session) deleted. I then import the newly created tracks into the original session on the older Mac.

Also I realize many would say "If I were you I would switch everything to the newer Mac" but still I would appreciate if someone could provide an informed answer to my question.

Thank you.

Last edited by RIRSteve; 06-12-2018 at 04:31 AM.
RIRSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:22 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

1. No and 2. the latest.

(I know, it's a very short answer but it's also a very quite somewhat informed "No", also welcome to the forums! )
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
RIRSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
1. No and 2. the latest.

(I know, it's a very short answer but it's also a very quite somewhat informed "No", also welcome to the forums! )
Thanks for the welcome.

So how can it be that said latest version could run 'just as cpu friendly' as say version 4.78 (just an example). Ever since I can remember just about every software on the planet seems to get heavier and heavier as the version numbers go up, no?

Regards.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:51 AM   #4
kstn

I have older mac (OS X < 10.6) and notebook (win 7 64) and the last reaper version on each (32bit on mac, 64 bit on win). There was no problems with moving projects between them, so try last reaper version.
kstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:24 AM   #5
RIRSteve

Default Will do....

Sounds good, thanks for the info.

I guess I was kind of hoping to hear that.

S
Old 06-13-2018, 05:53 AM   #6
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIRSteve View Post
Thanks for the welcome.

So how can it be that said latest version could run 'just as cpu friendly' as say version 4.78 (just an example). Ever since I can remember just about every software on the planet seems to get heavier and heavier as the version numbers go up, no?

Regards.
Of course I know what you're talking about, however I just compared REAPER 3.78 with 5.90 (again) on a 1.6GHz single core Atom powered netbook from 2008 (those Atom CPUs are known to have the processing power of a 1998 Pentium). I used an old test project with a couple of VSTi and guitar tracks and it plays (or stutters when I enable the mental alpha development plug-ins on the master section) just the same on both versions, maxing out the CPU the same way...
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #7
RIRSteve

That is awesome, thanks for doing that.

Having worked for software firms in the past, and, being a power computer(s) user for decades, I can tell REAPER is so well coded that going up in versions (4, 5, etc) is smoother on the cpu than many other software. Also many articles speak of v5+ having 'performance improvements' so the answers here make sense.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Of course I know what you're talking about, however I just compared REAPER 3.78 with 5.90 (again) on a 1.6GHz single core Atom powered netbook from 2008 (those Atom CPUs are known to have the processing power of a 1998 Pentium). I used an old test project with a couple of VSTi and guitar tracks and it plays (or stutters when I enable the mental alpha development plug-ins on the master section) just the same on both versions, maxing out the CPU the same way...