Old 05-31-2021, 07:02 AM   #1
fbeauvaisc
Human being with feelings

Default ReaLearn Input : "Connected but Disabled"

Hi,

I'm using an X-Touch Compact with ReaLearn in the FX Monitoring. Half the time, it works perfectly and I get midi feedback and everything is well.

For an unknown reason, half the time, the Control input sais the my X-Touch Compact is connected but disabled. It's not. Nothing changes in my preferences. Rebooting sometimes fixes it, sometimes not.

The feedback output works 100% of the time. If I move a fader with my mouse, it moves the controller every time but not the other way around.

Half the time, I get the "connected but disabled" in the Control input section.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be the cause of this?

Thanks,
fbeauvaisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:59 AM   #2
helgoboss

"Connected but disabled" will also be displayed if the MIDI device is open in another software and therefore occupied. Do you have any other audio program running (other REAPER instance, Behringer controller editor, ...)?
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #3
fbeauvaisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
"Connected but disabled" will also be displayed if the MIDI device is open in another software and therefore occupied. Do you have any other audio program running (other REAPER instance, Behringer controller editor, ...)?
Thanks but unfortunately no. Unpluggin and replugin the unit's usb connector works.

Is there another way in Windows to re-initialize it without having to unplug and replug?
Old 06-01-2021, 09:44 AM   #4
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbeauvaisc View Post
Thanks but unfortunately no. Unpluggin and replugin the unit's usb connector works.

Is there another way in Windows to re-initialize it without having to unplug and replug?
It appears to me that this is not directly related to ReaLearn but to REAPER not being able to open the MIDI device for some reason, e.g. a loose connection. Can you verify this? (Make sure "Audio > Warn when unable to open MIDI devices" is enabled. Then press play and check if an error message appears saying that it can't open the Behringer input device.)

About your question: In such cases I sometimes have success without unplugging and replugging by pressing "Reset all MIDI devices" in the MIDI device preferences. This is also available as an action that you can for example put in a toolbar.

Please note, ReaLearn won't usually update the displayed MIDI device status message until you reopen its plug-in window. So don't rely too much on that message when investigating this issue
Old 06-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #5
fbeauvaisc

Quote:
It appears to me that this is not directly related to ReaLearn but to REAPER not being able to open the MIDI device for some reason, e.g. a loose connection. Can you verify this? (Make sure "Audio > Warn when unable to open MIDI devices" is enabled. Then press play and check if an error message appears saying that it can't open the Behringer input device.)

About your question: In such cases I sometimes have success without unplugging and replugging by pressing "Reset all MIDI devices" in the MIDI device preferences. This is also available as an action that you can for example put in a toolbar.

Please note, ReaLearn won't usually update the displayed MIDI device status message until you reopen its plug-in window. So don't rely too much on that message when investigating this issue
Thanks, I'll keep looking into this. What's weird is that it receives midi but does not send. I only get the "connected but disabled" on the input side of things. I've tried "Reset all MIDI devices" with no success. I'm plugged into a USB hub that's always a hazard. I'm pretty sure using midi din5 would solve my issue but There's so many USB midi devices now. I can't believe there are still issues using USB Midi.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:49 AM   #6
helgoboss

Quote:
Thanks, I'll keep looking into this. What's weird is that it receives midi but does not send. I only get the "connected but disabled" on the input side of things. I've tried "Reset all MIDI devices" with no success. I'm plugged into a USB hub that's always a hazard. I'm pretty sure using midi din5 would solve my issue but There's so many USB midi devices now. I can't believe there are still issues using USB Midi.
I also have this kind of connectivity issues occasionally. What I always find irritating on Windows is that I have to reset MIDI devices in REAPER if I unplug and replug. On REAPER for macOS and Linux it's not necessary which makes this problem significantly less relevant for me on these OS.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:43 AM   #7
fbeauvaisc

Quote:
I also have this kind of connectivity issues occasionally. What I always find irritating on Windows is that I have to reset MIDI devices in REAPER if I unplug and replug. On REAPER for macOS and Linux it's not necessary which makes this problem significantly less relevant for me on these OS.
Ok so I tried using midi din 5 instead of USB to solve this and I got very weird inconsistent behavior. First I need to tick the "Prevent echo feedback" or else the faders would go crazy. Then I got very odd behavior like moving a "selected track's volume" would bring all the other track's volumes to zero. Panning would also act a little crazy and affect other un-selected tracks.

Can you think of a reason why midi din 5 has these issues compared to USB midi?

I'm using a RME Fireface UFX midi 2 i/0 directly to the i/0 of the X-Touch Compact.

Thanks,
Old 06-22-2021, 02:42 PM   #8
helgoboss

Quote:
Ok so I tried using midi din 5 instead of USB to solve this and I got very weird inconsistent behavior. First I need to tick the "Prevent echo feedback" or else the faders would go crazy. Then I got very odd behavior like moving a "selected track's volume" would bring all the other track's volumes to zero. Panning would also act a little crazy and affect other un-selected tracks.

Can you think of a reason why midi din 5 has these issues compared to USB midi?

I'm using a RME Fireface UFX midi 2 i/0 directly to the i/0 of the X-Touch Compact.

Thanks,
Mmh, the only thing that comes to my mind right now:

- Maybe the X-Touch Compact sends/expects different MIDI messages (e.g. uses a different operation mode) when using with MIDI Din 5.
- Have you tried disabling all other stuff
that could possibly interfere? (MIDI devices and control surfaces in REAPER prefs, other ReaLearn instances, e.g. on monitoring FX chain or master track)
Old 06-22-2021, 04:02 PM   #9
fbeauvaisc

Quote:
Mmh, the only thing that comes to my mind right now:

- Maybe the X-Touch Compact sends/expects different MIDI messages (e.g. uses a different operation mode) when using with MIDI Din 5.
- Have you tried disabling all other stuff
that could possibly interfere? (MIDI devices and control surfaces in REAPER prefs, other ReaLearn instances, e.g. on monitoring FX chain or master track)
I only have 1 instance of ReaLearn and it's on the monitoring FX chain. I'll try disabling all other midi devices when I get the chance.

I'll try and use a midi monitor to see if I get different messages with din 5 than with USB midi.

Thanks,