Old 08-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
spk77
Human being with feelings

Default Q: Toolbar button behavior like "SWS/S&M: Dummy toggle"

Is it possible to set a toolbar button to work like "SWS/S&M: Dummy toggle" from a single script? The toolbar button would also be mapped to this particular script. It would be a visual indicator and the script would read its state for running different block of code, depending on the button state.

This is how it works with "SWS/S&M: Dummy toggle", but I would want to achieve this without using the SWS action:

If "Dummy toggle" -button" is "ON"
  • Pressing space bar would run "play from play marker" -script
If "Dummy toggle" -button" is "OFF"
  • Pressing space bar would run Transport: Play/stop

(Play marker concept)

Code:
-- NOTE: Add "SWS/S&M: Dummy toggle 1" to a toolbar.

-------------------
-- User settings --
-------------------
--Example: Start playback from a project marker named 'Play start':
local project_marker_name = "Play start" -- set marker name here
local play_start_offset = 0 -- pre-roll in seconds
-------------------

local marker_exists = false
local i = 0
local cursor_pos = reaper.GetCursorPosition()
local arr_start, arr_end = reaper.GetSet_ArrangeView2(0, false, 0, 0)

function play_from_pos()
  local state = reaper.GetToggleCommandState(reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_S&M_DUMMY_TGL1"))
  if state == 0 then
    reaper.Main_OnCommand(40044, 0) -- Transport: Play/stop
    return
  end
  while true do
    local ret, isrgn, pos, rgnend, name, markrgnindexnumber = reaper.EnumProjectMarkers(i)
    if ret == 0 then
      break
    elseif name == project_marker_name then
      reaper.PreventUIRefresh(1)
      reaper.SetEditCurPos2(0, pos + play_start_offset, false, false) 
      reaper.Main_OnCommand(40044, 0) -- Transport: Play/stop
      reaper.SetEditCurPos2(0, cursor_pos, false, false)
      reaper.GetSet_ArrangeView2(0, true, 0,0, arr_start, arr_end)
      reaper.PreventUIRefresh(-1)
      marker_exists = true
      break
    end
    i = i + 1
  end
  if not marker_exists then
    local mb_ret = reaper.MB("Couldn't find marker named '" .. project_marker_name .. "'.\nPress 'OK' to insert the marker at edit cursor.", "", 1) 
    if mb_ret == 1 then
      reaper.AddProjectMarker2(0, false, cursor_pos, 0, project_marker_name, 1, 0)
    end
  end
end

reaper.defer(play_from_pos)
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
Lokasenna

Haven't tried, but I believe you can use this to set the script's toggle state as long as it's registered in the action list:

Code:
boolean reaper.SetToggleCommandState(integer section_id, integer command_id, integer state)
Updates the toggle state of an action, returns true if succeeded. Only ReaScripts can have their toggle states changed programmatically. See RefreshToolbar2.
You can get the ID with:
Code:
reaper.get_action_context()
is_new_value,filename,sectionID,cmdID,mode,resolution,val = reaper.get_action_context()
Returns contextual information about the script, typically MIDI/OSC input values.

val will be set to a relative or absolute value depending on mode (=0: absolute mode, >0: relative modes). resolution=127 for 7-bit resolution, =16383 for 14-bit resolution.
Notes: sectionID, and cmdID will be set to -1 if the script is not part of the action list. mode, resolution and val will be set to -1 if the script was not triggered via MIDI/OSC.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:57 AM   #3
spk77

I tried Set/GetToggleCommandState, RefreshToolbar, get_action_context and Get/Setextstate etc. but couldn't get it working as I wanted.

I guess I'd need a toolbar button that is...
  • somehow attached to certain script
  • is toggleable (by clicking the left mouse button on it, no need to set the state programmatically)
  • doesn't do anything, except changes its own state (script should be able to read its state)

Any ideas?
Old 08-30-2018, 07:03 AM   #4
spk77

SWS Dummy toggles (1-8) work perfectly for this purpose, but they can be already in use for some other tasks.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:11 AM   #5
Lokasenna

Working here. The script doesn't start with an assigned state, so you have to allow a value of -1 to work.

Code:
local is_new_value,filename,sectionID,cmdID,mode,resolution,val = reaper.get_action_context()
local state = reaper.GetToggleCommandStateEx( sectionID, cmdID )

reaper.ShowConsoleMsg("current state is: " .. tostring(state))
reaper.ShowConsoleMsg("\ttoggling to: " .. tostring(state == 1 and 0 or 1))

reaper.SetToggleCommandState(sectionID, cmdID, state == 1 and 0 or 1)
reaper.RefreshToolbar2(sectionID, cmdID)
Register it in the action list, put it on a toolbar button, boom.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:31 AM   #6
spk77

Thanks Lokasenna, but I think it's not even possible to do what I want it to do (from a single script) .
It should change its state only when pressing left mouse button on it.

If you have time, please check the script I posted on the post#1. (put "SWS/S&M: Dummy toggle 1" on a toolbar and run the script and add e.g. space bar as a shortcut to it)
Old 08-30-2018, 07:44 AM   #7
Lokasenna

There's no way to do it as a single script, no, since the script has no idea when you run it whether you want to toggle the button or do the script code.

If you just don't want to use Dummy Toggle, you can use a script just for the button and have a separate script with the main code that just checks the first script's toggle state.

If it helps, don't forget that ReaPack can install and register multiple scripts from one source, with different filenames, so they can read their filename and perform different actions. You could have it install one to use for the toolbar and a separate one that checks the toolbar action's state.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #8
spk77

That's what I thought too, thanks!

I wish that get_action_context would also return a value that shows where the script is run from (from toolbar button, shortcut key, action list etc.)
Old 09-22-2020, 12:13 AM   #9
Beastmode Beats

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk77 View Post
SWS Dummy toggles (1-8) work perfectly for this purpose, but they can be already in use for some other tasks.
That is exactly right and the only limitation. But I have found it to be advantageous and a great performance feature, in fact, the greatest feature.
Beastmode Beats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:31 AM   #10
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode Beats View Post
That is exactly right and the only limitation. But I have found it to be advantageous and a great performance feature, in fact, the greatest feature.
You can set the number of available dummy toggles in the S&M.ini file (look for entry S&M_DUMMY_TGL=.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:45 AM   #11
Beastmode Beats

Yes I have done this without scripts, use two cycle actions. One cycle action activates the active dummy toggle, the cycle is OFF, ON, ON, for sending 3 toggles to the second cycle action for example. OFF, On,On, On, On for 4 toggles (4BANKS) The second cycle action is simply used for toggle states when each dummy toggle is active for the first cycle action. If the next action is ON Dummy toggle 1, Toggle record arm for selected track, end of conditional statement, if the next actions is ON dummy Toggle 2, toggle solo etc... Just remember not to place a step in the second cycle action for receiving the active dummy toggle. After that, you just add a new toolbar to the top of cycle action 1’s statement, then you go into the toolbar and add all dummy toggles from the actions list to that toolbar and rename them based on their toggle actions, and once you assign each cycle action to
a CC, One button can control multiple banks and increase your productivity, it is a performance feature, because once you add your own fx it will help you browse faster than the average person

Last edited by Beastmode Beats; 10-01-2020 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:59 AM   #12
Beastmode Beats

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
You can set the number of available dummy toggles in the S&M.ini file (look for entry S&M_DUMMY_TGL=.
I am aware the total value is 255
Old 09-23-2020, 07:04 AM   #13
Beastmode Beats

What I am trying to get many of you to understand is you only need 8 dummy toggles. Because if you only have 8 buttons for example, that is 32 dummy toggles with 4 banks all from 2 MIDI CC assignments, and you can take your configuration and keep your custom actions on the go thanks to Reaper 🙂, no more limited control surface links.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:31 PM   #14
cohler
Banned

Default Toolbar icons for multi-state toggles with 3 or more states?

Anybody here know the answer to the question below, which seems to be relevant to this thread as well (post link below)?

p=2511138
cohler is offline   Reply With Quote