Old 01-26-2024, 10:43 AM   #1
sockmonkey72
Human being with feelings

Default v7.09+dev0126 - January 26 2024

v7.09+dev0126 - January 26 2024
  • * Includes feature branch: VST prefetch reporting
  • * Includes feature branch: notify user if default menu changed after a menu was customized
  • * Includes feature branch: extended ASCII encoding for .wav file text metadata
  • * Includes feature branch: envelope list window improvements
  • * Includes feature branch: media items on higher numbered lanes optionally mask playback of lower lanes
  • * Includes feature branch: increase fixed lane limit to 256 lanes
  • + MIDI: in source properties dialog, fix transpose setting being applied as output channel when channel filter is also applied
  • + MIDI: prevent hanging notes when editing channel filter in media source properties dialog
  • + Media Explorer: display ruler on media preview
  • + Media Explorer: fix displaying out-of-tune indicator when pitch detection is enabled
  • + Media Explorer: rename copy/paste actions as 'Copy selected files' and 'Paste files' for clarity
  • + Media explorer: display preview playback position, length, time selection in beats for beat-based media (MIDI, REX)
  • + Tracks: refresh TCP after actions to select or unselect all tracks [t=287651]
  • # Media Explorer: fix applying MIDI channel mask when source MIDI contains sparse channels
  • # Media Explorer: remove some deprecated action descriptions from langpack generation [t=287669]
  • # Media Explorer: update MIDI preview display when changing channel selection
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 01-26-2024, 11:07 AM   #2
musicbynumbers

Thanks devs! Some good bits here!

Speaking of pitch detection.. Just wondered if (and maybe this is too crazy), when playing back a pitch of media in media explorer. As well as having the pitch detected in real time like it does now...

..What if we also had an option for pitch named take markers to show up on the audio file as these pitch changes were detected and then when we drag this audio item into the arrange, an option to import these detected pitch changes as take markers.

Giving us a way of seeing clearly the note pitches of audio items.

I just made a script query/request about it in the link below but thought, since you are using reapitch, it would be more accurate (even though it will still not do chords but still useful maybe?

https://forums.cockos.com/showthread...36#post2754136
Old 01-26-2024, 11:27 AM   #3
UFO

Hello! I am sorry if this is a wrong thread for this.
But if you are fixing hanging midi notes, can you please look at the problem with the sound of sustain pedal in live perfomances?
https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2747186
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 06:56 PM   #4
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
  • + MIDI: prevent hanging notes when editing channel filter in media source properties dialog
  • + Media Explorer: display ruler on media preview
  • + Media Explorer: fix displaying out-of-tune indicator when pitch detection is enabled
  • + Media Explorer: rename copy/paste actions as 'Copy selected files' and 'Paste files' for clarity
  • + Media explorer: display preview playback position, length, time selection in beats for beat-based media (MIDI, REX)
  • # Media Explorer: fix applying MIDI channel mask when source MIDI contains sparse channels
  • # Media Explorer: update MIDI preview display when changing channel selection
Thanks for these major quality of life improvements, it feels like a late Xmas.

As someone always working in beats the BPM based display and ruler are a huge help.
-Now that the ruler exists, I'd love if we could use it for making selections that snap the the grid (not currently possible.)

Also:
-I don't know if the channel UI empty space will be used in the future (track filtering?), otherwise it's unnecessarily large. The Reset/clear dropdown would be better on the left where the channels are filtered, or eliminate it entirely by using "MIDI↓" as a clear/reset toggle. The title width could be reduced by removing "Media" as we're already in the Media Explorer.
-Ability to pin, or dock it in the media info box area for those who are using consistently.

-Options: Reset channel mapping when changing media like existing Options: Reset pitch and rate when changing media.
-Filtering unused channels greatly improves readability, but there's still no differentiation. Color by channel/pitch like the MIDI editor could be the equivalent of spectral peaks (which I can't live without )

-Since settings from media source properties are being added, send channel is something I'd use constantly. I'd prefer a separate dropdown/textbox beside the channel mapper as it's useful for all MIDI files, not just multi-track/channel.

-As mentioned in the last pre thread, inserting midi after using the channel mapper no longer brings up this dialog (likely a bug.)
-Much the time when I've filtered the channels I only want to import those so please consider an option like this. Then "play only channels" in the item properties and event filtering in the editor aren't needed for consistent item display/playback between the ME, midi editor, and timeline.

When I want to retain unfiltered MIDI I'd import a 2nd unfiltered copy somewhere and mute it (or "implode items as takes" to link them together.), otherwise the stuff I just filtered comes right back like Barney at Moe's.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 01-26-2024 at 07:08 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 06:38 AM   #5
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
inserting midi after using the channel mapper no longer brings up this dialog (likely a bug.)
That's by design, at least for the moment, because MIDI tracks and MIDI channels are not necessarily 1:1. We would need to add a lot more logic to translate the user's channel selection into a MIDI track selection in order to support importing type 1 (multitrack) MIDI files while also applying a channel selection.

[edit] Well, we could still offer the type 1 import option dialog, but then skip importing tracks that don't have any events in the selected channels. It might be a little confusing because the import dialog will still say "import 12 tracks?" (or whatever), even if only 2 (or whatever) of the tracks will end up being imported due to the user's channel selection.

Last edited by schwa; 01-27-2024 at 08:04 AM.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 12:00 PM   #6
bolgwrad

Default All good now, but temporary vsti anomaly FWIW

I was going to report a bug, but it went away after reinstalling dev 0126 and hasn't come back. (No config changes).

It didn't happen on 7.09rc2 or dev0124, but that may have been the back-installs I did to confirm (Win32). FWIW it may happen to someone else. (Pre-fetch related?)

The upshot being that any vsti stopped putting out audio after about 4 keypresses on the piano roll - no problem while playing, and no problem while the vst UI was open. But close the vsti window, and the track meter shows, but no sound.

This gif may explain better but the captions are a bit quick, soz:

Old 01-29-2024, 02:12 PM   #7
goto

Now that we have these excellent additions to the Media Explorer:

+ Media explorer: display channel count for MIDI files (may require re-reading metadata from media)
+ Media explorer: display preview playback position, length, time selection in beats for beat-based media (MIDI, REX)
+ Media Explorer: fix displaying out-of-tune indicator when pitch detection is enabled

Can we get the indication (in the Media Explorer) of key signature meta-event when it's included in a MIDI file?
I can find many examples how much this is useful.
goto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 02:17 PM   #8
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goto View Post
Can we get the indication (in the Media Explorer) of key signature meta-event when it's included in a MIDI file
The first key signature event in a .mid file should be displayed in the "key" column. You may need to right-click the row and choose "re-read metadata from media" though.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 03:52 PM   #9
goto

Got it, thanks.
Old 01-29-2024, 05:09 PM   #10
goto

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The first key signature event in a .mid file should be displayed in the "key" column. You may need to right-click the row and choose "re-read metadata from media" though.
For a MIDI file that has multiple key signature events, could the Media Explorer indicate in some way when they occur?
Old 01-31-2024, 12:49 AM   #11
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
That's by design, at least for the moment, because MIDI tracks and MIDI channels are not necessarily 1:1. We would need to add a lot more logic to translate the user's channel selection into a MIDI track selection in order to support importing type 1 (multitrack) MIDI files while also applying a channel selection.

[edit] Well, we could still offer the type 1 import option dialog, but then skip importing tracks that don't have any events in the selected channels. It might be a little confusing because the import dialog will still say "import 12 tracks?" (or whatever), even if only 2 (or whatever) of the tracks will end up being imported due to the user's channel selection.
Thanks for letting me know it's something you're aware of.

An input dialog that shows the wrong number of tracks, but correctly imports only those filtered channels and previewed would be an improvement for me. Less confusing than a single item as I tend to always split multi-track MIDI items (unless it's only a few I know work together for one part/instrument.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goto View Post
For a MIDI file that has multiple key signature events, could the Media Explorer indicate in some way when they occur?
Maybe something similar to how marker's are displayed, but with a visual difference to indicate the event type?