Old 08-12-2018, 05:24 PM   #1
experimentfailed
Human being with feelings

Default Segmentation Fault...?

I created these scripts to get me by until I get around to building SWS/S&M for my system (Gentoo Linux):

https://bitbucket.org/experimentfail...master/extras/

They seem to work unless I enable "Open track FX window on track selection change" in REAPER prefs (under Plug-ins), while using mapped buttons on my BCR2000 or keyboard shortcuts. In that case, whenever I add some tracks and FX, push the mapped button/keys for Select_<Next/Prev>_FX.py, then push the mappped button/keys for Select_<Next/Prev>_Track.py, I get a Segmentation Fault in REAPER (and hard crash/exit). This, however, does NOT happen when I run the scripts manually by double-clicking in the Actions window.

I don't know where to really put this. It sure seems more likely a bug in the pre-release of REAPER for Linux than my scripts, but I'm new to ReaScript too, so could still be my fault.

Thanks for reading
experimentfailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:18 PM   #2
cfillion

It works here with Python 2.7.15 on ArchLinux. No crash when using a keyboard shortcut to run both next fx/track scripts with a few built-in plugins inserted in four tracks.

Does the pre-built SWS binary not work in Gentoo?

Last edited by cfillion; 08-12-2018 at 06:25 PM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
experimentfailed

Thanks for your help!

The only other oddity in my setup I can think of, is that I run REAPER in OpenBox, in Xnest, in Qtile, because REAPER seems to hate tiling window managers at the moment. I'll try with OpenBox directly.

Anyway, I did not realize there were pre-built binaries. I hadn't even looked that closely at it yet, tbh, so I may just try that and go from there...

Thanks again!
Old 08-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #4
experimentfailed

Well, the pre-built binary sorta works... I was able to map my buttons to the SWS actions, but now the switching FX chain doesn't work at all. It changes the selection in the list, and the GUI flashes for a split second to the correct one, but then jumps back to the previous fx...ugh

It might still be my weird OpenBox setup...or maybe REAPER just also doesn't like OpenBox (the window goes black a lot in both Qtile and OB, requiring a window resize to make it refresh). God I hope I don't have to install Gnome for this....

I saw someone else point out a specific issue related to tiling window managers, too (I think it was something like the window class REAPER is using makes them think all of its windows should fill a tile). I can imagine a similar thing could affect other light weight WMs that are less fault tolerant than Gnome might be.

Last edited by experimentfailed; 08-14-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by experimentfailed View Post
It changes the selection in the list, and the GUI flashes for a split second to the correct one, but then jumps back to the previous fx...ugh
Confirmed, the older way SWS uses to set the FX selection appears to be broken on Linux. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2023296

Back to square one with the crash... Have you tried getting a backtrace with gdb to see what it has to say? It might also help the developers if it's a bug in REAPER (it could be a plugin).

Quote:
Originally Posted by experimentfailed View Post
(the window goes black a lot in both Qtile and OB, requiring a window resize to make it refresh). God I hope I don't have to install Gnome for this....
I'm also using a tiling wm (i3) and don't have this black window issue. There was an issue with REAPER's tooltips in tiling wms at some point which has been fixed.

Last edited by cfillion; 08-15-2018 at 04:20 PM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #6
experimentfailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
I'm also using a tiling wm (i3) and don't have this black window issue. There was an issue with REAPER's tooltips in tiling wms at some point which has been fixed.
Hmm...I can't think of anything else unusual about my system that I haven't mentioned. One thing I forgot about though, is REAPER also often freezes Qtile for many seconds (sometimes requiring force kill). So if it's working for you, then something is wonky on my or Qtile's end. Guessing the black windows are down to system config (as it affects me in OB & Qtile, as well as other users), and freezing Qtile is down to Qtile being underdeveloped (though there are some window class options I can configure, that I'll look into again).

Anyway, I'm a Python and iOS developer, so my knowledge of troubleshooting applications is limited at best, but I'll see if I can figure out how to get a backtrace as soon as I can.

Thank you very much!