Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 08-01-2022, 11:06 AM   #41
fabio77
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I've only experienced a couple of hiccups since switching to Manjaro. I had similar experience with Xubuntu only seeing a couple of issues during the time of running it for years.

Hehe, pretty cool! When I first switched to Xubuntu from Win7, I used the Win7 Windows flag with a red "International NO" symbol over it for my menu button. Something similar to this.

That's cool also
fabio77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:41 PM   #42
fabio77

I have one further question to the partition. Do you have a separate /home partition, and if yes, how big is your root partition over the time (years?)?

I always have a separate /home partition, and want to know how big now could become a average /. When I started with linux it never required as much as 12 GB, but now, with all music stuff and a little experimenting with DaVinci Resolve (that takes just 5GB) my root is almost 23 GB. And if snaps and flatpaks will become more common, than this could explode, I think.

So usally I would create a 48 GB root now, because I love to see my conky tells me I am on about 50%

Actually I have no benefits from separating it, because when I do a new installation I do a clean one. And the most important data I ever have backed up. But I like to see on one look (to my conky) how much space my /home is taking, or if my root is growing. So that I know when to clear up my system or my home-folder.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:27 PM   #43
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio77 View Post
I have one further question to the partition. Do you have a separate /home partition, and if yes, how big is your root partition over the time (years?)?

I always have a separate /home partition, and want to know how big now could become a average /. When I started with linux it never required as much as 12 GB, but now, with all music stuff and a little experimenting with DaVinci Resolve (that takes just 5GB) my root is almost 23 GB. And if snaps and flatpaks will become more common, than this could explode, I think.

So usally I would create a 48 GB root now, because I love to see my conky tells me I am on about 50%
My home folder is on the same physical drive and partition as Manjaro in the default location. It's 151.4 GB and hasn't changed in more than a year, as I don't install anything new and space consuming. Only new stuff I install now are things like Ventoy, which take up no new additional space that amounts to anything.

Quote:
Actually I have no benefits from separating it, because when I do a new installation I do a clean one. And the most important data I ever have backed up. But I like to see on one look (to my conky) how much space my /home is taking, or if my root is growing. So that I know when to clear up my system or my home-folder.
I have multiple copies of my entire home folder, as well and individual pieces of it like my .wine folder, which accounts for about a third of the 151.4 GB currently in use. I have one copy of my whole entire home folder on my second NVMe M.2 drive, so if I were to ever hose the folder, or accidentally delete something, I can recover it real quick. Other copies of my home folder are on an SSD in my desk drawer, on a flash disk, and even on an old spinning hard drive that's in a storage cabinet. Bottom line is you can't have too many copies of your data.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:05 PM   #44
fabio77

Quote:
My home folder is on the same physical drive and partition as Manjaro in the default location. It's 151.4 GB and hasn't changed in more than a year, as I don't install anything new and space consuming. Only new stuff I install now are things like Ventoy, which take up no new additional space that amounts to anything.

I have multiple copies of my entire home folder, as well and individual pieces of it like my .wine folder, which accounts for about a third of the 151.4 GB currently in use. I have one copy of my whole entire home folder on my second NVMe M.2 drive, so if I were to ever hose the folder, or accidentally delete something, I can recover it real quick. Other copies of my home folder are on an SSD in my desk drawer, on a flash disk, and even on an old spinning hard d
rive that's in a storage cabinet. Bottom line is you can't have too many copies of your data.
Ok, this are lots of copies But I think I should make one of my .wine folder too. And maybe of my .vst/.vst3 folders.

The data I have backed up from my /home folder are just a few configurations I don't want to make twice. My music/media/project folders aren't inside my home folder anyway, but symbolic linked to it from my 1 TB harddrive (just still a windows thing, to have access from both systems ). But all this data, configs and harddrive I also have backed up twice. One is on an external 1 TB harddrive, and the more important things on an 128 GB USB stick too, that I sync almost daily. The project files I have on an additional third backup, also an USB stick.
The sync tool is also very cool. It's freesync. I used to use unison, but it was veeery slow compared to freesync. With unison I sometimes needed hours just to check for changes, when I scanned my entire harddrive. With freesync I only need 5 minutes maximum. And to sync these changes with unison required much more time than coping it manually. With freesync it copies on the same speed as the filemanager could.

Ok, thank you for this information. I will go with 48 GB for root. I think with twice the size I have now on an overloaded system, I have enough. I never had a size over 17 GB before. It's just because I tried DaVinci - and still not succeded because some of the nvidia drivers aren't in the repository anymore, and I haven't looked for actual proper ones).

Last edited by fabio77; 08-01-2022 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:25 AM   #45
onewayout

Quote:
At 8:00am I fired up the Asus L410 laptop and started copying samples, and REAPER configuration files, as well as plugins.

By 11:30am I was installing the last couple things, Sfizz and LinuxSampler. I modified limits.conf and installed tlpui so I could override the CPU governor.

Here's my observations comparing this uber cheep laptop to my 4GB Raspberry Pi.

1. There's not as much free memory available, so a drumkit that loads on the Pi will vaporize REAPER when it runs out of memory.

Note: I can load other drum kits, but the one I maxed out for the 4GB Pi is too much for the 4GB laptop.

2. Even with the CPU governor set to Performance, and limits.conf allowing me unlimited memory and 98% realtime permissions, I could not get reliable play through at 64 samples latency. It was totally happy to run at 128 samples, and playing guitar through Guitarix amp sims was stable.

Note: I have my Raspberry Pi overclocked a little bit, and it too would not let me play a guitar through an amp sim at 64 samples until I did overclock it.

Bottom line is, this $200 laptop could be used for REAPER, and if it were overclocked a little bit, could likely perform as well as the Pi4.

All that said, this laptop has now been powered up for four solid hours, doing massive copying, running REAPER with the governor set to Performance, and playing through guitar sims.

Manjaro says I have 67% battery remaining for another 14 hours and 19 minutes of run time. I am totally amazed at the battery performance on this thing.
Nice, thx again Glennbo!