Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-19-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
Ice
Human being with feelings

Default Referencing files on server makes the file locked out of other apps.

Mac 10.12.6
Reaper 5.982/64

While not an internal "bug" this behavior is certainly problematic for us here at work. I saw this issue a couple of years ago on an older version of Reaper and have since just tried to avoid the situation.

I accidentally referenced a .WAV file that was on our server and being referenced by a Pro Tools session (in another room and workstation - also a different Mac user than I). It brought the mix stage to a grinding halt for the last 3 hours. Finally we figured out it was my Reaper session that was locking that file out of anyone else using it. Apparently Reaper opens it and gives me exclusive access privileges.

Removing the file from my Reaper session released the file and Pro Tools was able to see it and play it fine again.

Pro Tools, Finder, and Soundminer for sure can't reference files on other machines that I'm referencing with Reaper.

We have an SMB server and I can get more tech details if you need them.

Last edited by Ice; 08-19-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
svijayrathinam

I am following similar workflow to you. My library sits on a Dell server running freenas and AFP share. I am using soundminer to spot into reaper with files referenced and on the other sound edit suite my colleague is using protools referencing to same files from the server. I don’t face this issue at all. The only difference I see between yours and mine is the way the share is set up. You are using SMB and I am using AFP. Can you try sharing your library folder as AFP or as NFS and see if you still have the same issue? I have a strong feeling it has something to do with SMB. I have 6 computers referencing same files .. atleast 3 are running reaper at the same time referencing same files from server and protools running in 2 computers running at the same time referencing same files from server .
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:35 PM   #3
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
Can you try sharing your library folder as AFP or as NFS and see if you still have the same issue?
Thats not going to be possible here. Its too big of a facility with too many users to switch this up, especially with a film final mix running off of that server right now. My use of Reaper here is by choice and 100% unsupported on site. So I use it solely for design and also local.

This issue is intermittent so not 100% reproducible. Its only happened to me a handful of times, and mostly due to me being careless and forgetting to bring a file local. Ever since the first time it happened I try NOT to reference files on the server but every once in a while I slip up and this issue does pop up and lock other people out.

However Reaper is the only app I have that ever causes this. Other audio apps used daily (but not limited to just these) are:

Soundminer 4 & 5
Twisted Wave
RX Editor
Spectral Layers
Quicktime Player
Old 08-27-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
svijayrathinam

you don't have to switch..you can share the same volume as an AFP and SMB at the same time..So you just mount the volume as AFP while your colleagues mount it as usual...

Also..one question. I had an issue recently which was completely different to what you are facing..but it was solved by justin. So I am wondering if your issue is connected to that. When you open a reaper project..does it say that file in question is "offline" ?
Old 08-27-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
Ice

Quote:
Also..one question. I had an issue recently which was completely different to what you are facing..but it was solved by justin. So I am wondering if your issue is connected to that. When you open a reaper project..does it say that file in question is "offline" ?
Reaper continues to see the files on my end without issue. Its the users accessing elsewhere that get the issue. I'm working away as normal and other places people are pulling their hair out trying to figure out what they can't read certain files.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #6
svijayrathinam

I see .. this is the opposite of what I faced. Reaper didn’t see certain files and it was showing it offline though the file was there in a shared server .. it was down to number of files opened limit which is a Mac issue. But justin helped fixing it though it was a Mac issue and he also made reaper much faster and snappier than what it used to be when using large number of track counts and files while he fixed this issue ..

With respect to your issue only thing I can suggest is to try and share the same volume as AFP or NFS and you mount that volume as AFP while others use it as SMB as usual. Perhaps justin can help here .. I would be curious to find a solution for this as well.. coz I don’t want to run into a similar issue since theoretically I also use similar workflow ��
Old 08-27-2019, 01:48 PM   #7
Ice

Quote:
I see .. this is the opposite of what I faced. Reaper didn’t see certain files and it was showing it offline though the file was there in a shared server .. it was down to number of files opened limit which is a Mac issue. But justin helped fixing it though it was a Mac issue and he also made reaper much faster and snappier than what it used to be when using large number of track counts and files while he fixed this issue ..

With respect to your issue only thing I can suggest is to try and share the same volume as AFP or NFS and you mount that volume as AFP while others use it as SMB as usual. Perhaps justin can help here .. I would be curious to find a solution for this as well.. coz I don’t want to run into a similar issue since theoretically I also use similar workflow ��
AFP is a good suggestion but the final mix just started yesterday and I can't go that route right now.