Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #1
kaiestro
Human being with feelings

Default [v5.981] CPU usage does not decrease after freezing and muting tracks

I'm working on a drum and bass track that has a lot of different synths in Serum going on. So naturally on an old laptop that I'm using, it was starting to stutter so I froze many tracks and muted most of the rest.

Yet still I'm getting stuttering/ glitching, and the Performance Meter shows CPU usage still jumps to 45% at times. Which by the way, I believe it probably spikes to 100 on my overall CPU usage in Windows but I'm only seeing the usage in between the spikes.
I can see that my folder track "Melody" which contains only frozen and muted tracks, and only has an eq and a tape-stop effect on the folder track, still is using 7.5% CPU at all times, even when the song is paused.

I have the setting enabled to not give CPU time to muted tracks.

Unless I'm just using Reaper incorrectly (been using it for years now but I can always learn something new), this seems like a bug to me.
kaiestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #2
dissentuk
Human being with feelings

forgive me for asking this question as it may be incredibly basic to you...

how are you freezing your tracks?

1. freeze and mute originals

or

2. save/remove items and online fx

Because If its 1. I wouldn't rely on a setting to stop giving cpu to muted tracks. that may be your problem.

What I didn't actually realise at first is that with option 2. you can actually just right click on frozen track and goto render/freeze tracks and now theres an option to unfreeze it.

maybe im stupid but I actually thought option 2 removed the original fx/vst for good and didnt realise its so easy to unfreeze and get it back lol!

so go for option 2!
dissentuk is offline   Reply With Quote