Old 01-10-2019, 10:05 AM   #1
Travesty
Human being with feelings

Default Is the walter guide still relevant?

Hi, I'm trying to get up and running with Walter, following the tutorial in the WT guide http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reape...mers_guide.pdf

However when I get to this point I get no effect:

"- Remove Everything -
To simplify matters, we’re going to remove every statement from our TCP so we have a
clean slate to start with. Starting with the statement below tcp.size, comment out all the
statements that aren’t already comments:"

The guide says this should give me a blank tcp, but I see no change, the guide seems to be unchanged since V4, so is this tutorial still "functional"

Thanks
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Yes, the guide is still relevant and you're doing the right thing. Its a guide to teach you how to WALTER, its not the definitive reference document; that's the sdk. If you get to grips with the things explained in the guide, then come back if you're interested and ask about the more program-y things like macros that have been added since.

So, to the problem you're having: I'm going to need a little more information to be able to help, can I ask what theme you are starting with? Can you confirm that you're seeing changes if you, for example, rename a really important image so that Reaper uses its ugly built-in image instead?

Note: one of the reasons Reaper theming is a bit of a head-scratcher at first is that it maintains theme compatibility aaaaallll the way back to its very early days by being many-layered and filled with optional functionalities that sometimes do the same thing different ways. Take it step by step, it'll start to make sense I promise
Old 01-10-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
Travesty

Hey WT, thanks for the reply.

I'm following the pdf as closely as possible, and as I'm writing this I think I may see the problem. I'm editing the default 5 file, as opposed to the default 4 file. Are there significant differences which would be causing my issue?
Old 01-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #4
Coachz

Would love to see someone make some nice 1 Hour videos about theming. Anyone? Anyone?
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:26 PM   #5
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I'm following the pdf as closely as possible, and as I'm writing this I think I may see the problem. I'm editing the default 5 file, as opposed to the default 4 file. Are there significant differences which would be causing my issue?
Yes, that would be a problem; you're starting out by trying to root edit the most complex walter theme ever made Just checking, if you do just want to edit the Default V5 theme then some of that is very easy indeed - watch Kenny's video.

Anyway, assuming you do want to learn WALTER (excellent!), you've missed the bit just before that where it says:
Quote:
Make a new theme, or open an existing theme that has no WALTER.
...which would be a V3 era theme, or indeed a blank theme you just made (they're just a text file with the .ReaperTheme extension). If you start from a blank or fairly-blank slate and follow through the guide, it'll introduce the various things you can do with WALTER as you go on.

See the sticky Making a REAPER theme for more on how the various eras of Reaper theming stack up, its possible you don't even need to use WALTER to do what you want.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #6
Travesty

Ah yes, that part is crucial. I apologize, the time I chose to finally have a look into Walter, was also the time I was off work ill, so my cognition was somewhat impaired, thanks for the tips and I'll have another bash at it tomorrow. Thanks 😊