Old 11-13-2014, 04:22 AM   #1
Evan
Human being with feelings

Default VST plugins: scan for PDF/docs

Synopsis:

When scanning for VST plugins, also scan for common document files (e.g. PDF, txt). Allow for a simple way to view the documents (through external software) that come with each plugin.

In more detail:
I often have PDF and other document files in the same folder as the plugins. I want a simple way to have access to these documents from within Reaper FX browser (benefiting from the search and filtering). Reaper just has to index the document files, and allow us to launch them in an external editor.

Vote here: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=5421
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:35 AM   #2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
[...] I often have PDF and other document files in the same folder as the plugins. [...]
Fwiw, this is not how it's done on OS X's filesystem, and (afaik) some flavors of Windows, so I guess such a feature would be kind of incompatible with the whole cross-platform thing.

I do see your point, though. Easy access to documentation is important.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Fwiw, this is not how it's done on OS X's filesystem, and (afaik) some flavors of Windows...
I don't know about OSX, but on Windows, VST plugins come as .dll files most of the time. This FR is also especially suited for "portable" plugins, where the dll and PDFs are often found together, and the user has a say on the plugin folder structure. And that includes a lot of popular commercial and freeware plugins.

It is a convenience FR really. Much like the Reaper manual can be detected and launched from the Help->Documentation menu (when found in specific paths). Those of use who use many portable plugin installations will find this FR very handy.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
ivansc

For the rare occasion son which I need to consult the docs on my #plugins, I have a sub-folder"Docs" within the main plugin directory.
Makes it real easy to navigate there and access the dos outside of reaper.
Not sure I would even want to see extra clutter in Reaper just so I didnt have to click on the desktop or start button "this PC" to view a pdf. Thus seems slightly counter-productive to me, especially with the shopping list of more music related FRs and Bug report waiting to be dealt with
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:57 AM   #5
DarkStar

Extracted from Issue Tracker:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna
+1

I was actually thinking about this last night, as I was looking through the action list for a way to "pin" a few PDFs of mixing books to my toolbar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct
I always copy the PDFs to REAPER'S Docs folder and then I can access them via Help menu ...

------------------------------------
Related FR: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4885