Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-23-2021, 12:49 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default How to get MONO vocal to play on LEFT when recorded on RIGHT channel/

Subject line says it all. I have 2 inputs on my MIC interface. I recorded my vocal on Line 2 which is the RIGHT side and I am recording lots of vocals and want to pan them, so I want to be able to hear some of them in the LEFT speaker...

How do I do that?
Old 10-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
Fabian

If you record it as mono, you can pan it just fine.

If you do not record it as mono but as stereo you will have one channel silent, I guess this your problem. If so, you can on the Item properties dialog (select item hit F2) set the Channel mode to Mono (Right) (or Mono (Left)) and then you can pan it just fine.

If none of these work, then we need to know more, I guess.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:03 PM   #3
sjs94704

Well, here is my setting for my MIC. I have a MIC plugged into Line 1, but I'm using the one in Line 2.

Unless anyone says otherwise, as far as I can see, this is set to MONO for MIC recording.

And you'll see that for the track #5 that shows
panned full right I'm not getting any sound...
(Pay no attention to the MUTE setting. I used that
to confirm that I was not getting sound.)

Ideas?
Old 10-23-2021, 08:41 PM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
Well, here is my setting for my MIC. I have a MIC plugged into Line 1, but I'm using the one in Line 2.
This is confusing Steven, if you've got your mic plugged into channel-1 on your interface, then you should select Mic-1 as your input. But if you actually have your mic plugged into channel-2 on your interface then, as you indicate, select mic-2.

Quote:
Unless anyone says otherwise, as far as I can see, this is set to MONO for MIC recording.
You shouldn't have to worry about mono or stereo, if you select "Input Mono", then the track will be mono.

Quote:
Quote:
And you'll see that for the track #5 that shows
panned full right I'm not getting any sound...
(Pay no attention to the MUTE setting. I used that
to confirm that I was not getting sound.)
Which track did you record the vocal on, and What relationship is it to track #5.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:49 AM   #5
serr

You just have to remember that every track has at least 2 track channels: stereo L/R. A mono item sends its audio down both track channels by default. A stereo input remains stereo until you change it! That means if the left channel is silent, for example, sending from that track to another with the default stereo 1/2 routing sends a stereo pair with that left channel remaining silent.

The classic confusing example in Reaper is sending from one track to another post fader where you have the send track panned hard left (for example) and the receive track panned hard right. The post fader, post pan from the send track in this example is signal in left channel and silence in right channel. See where this is going? The receive track is only outputting the right channel after the hard pan right. The source from the sending track panned hard left has a silent right channel. The stereo is preserved here.

The solution is simply to be aware of the minimum two channel business and route accordingly. Either with pre pan sending or by explicitly selecting a mono channel in the track channel routing.

Aside:
If you have some stereo source item with a silent channel and you are only interested in the mono source, you can choose to select one channel of that item in item settings (in item properties).
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:17 AM   #6
sjs94704

OK, I am one who watches lots of videos on YouTube
and one person I saw showed where he
used a 'tracking' track, shown here as track 1.

Once I am happy with it, I then move the 'item' to
one of track 2 through 5 wherever I want it to be.

So, it is the 'Tracking' track that we are talking
about with the MIC settings shown in previous posts
of being MONO from line/MIC 2.

I am using tracks 2 through 5 as my 'BACKUP' singers
tracks, so, they are all royed to track 6 which is
mostly just to control and adjust the overall volume
of them as a group so I can be sure they are not too loud.

Yes, I know there might be other ways to handle the
backuo vocals, but that is just the way I did it for now.

Old 10-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #7
serr

That's all well and good there.

Select your mono source channel from your connected hardware...
Mono source records to a mono item in a track.

Fly mono items from recording bin track into arrangement tracks...
Mono items in tracks feeds both track channels.

When you have something come up where a client delivers a 'one sided' stereo stem (for an example) and you just want the mono item... See what I said above. (Or if the client is you and you accidentally recorded a mono source into a stereo pair with one channel silent.)

When you route to send to another track (for fx or whatever subgroup routing you might be doing) and have something hard panned to one side, mind your track channel routing L vs R.

You might be used to an analog mixing board that puts a single channel through until it hits the pan knob. In Reaper, both stereo channels stay separated through the track. The pan lowers one side or the other. When you send from a track with a source panned to one side, you're sending two channels with one silent. This is preserved on the receiving track unless you change the track channel routing.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:44 AM   #8
sjs94704

Well, Honestly, I am not familiar with which buttons I should be pushing, so, here is the interface I have.

There is the 48V (Phantom Power), Mon, Line and A/B buttons.

At the moment, the only buttonI have activated is the 48V for the phantom power for my MIC.

Quite honesty, no offense, I'm confused by the words you used with your answer....

Old 10-24-2021, 11:50 AM   #9
sjs94704

Here are my recorded vocals. Unless someone says otherwise,
these are mono aren't they?

Old 10-24-2021, 12:07 PM   #10
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
Here are my recorded vocals. Unless someone says otherwise,
these are mono aren't they?

Those are mono, yes. They should be pannable left or right. Unless you may have some mono plugin that does not output on the right channel. Then the audio will disappear if you pan it right.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:25 PM   #11
serr

I was responding to the confusion over routing from a stereo source to one or the other stereo track channel of a receiving track. Like the example in the original question.

If you are getting an unexpected input from your connected hardware audio interface...
eg. you tried to select channel 1 but get a different input.
An audio interface may have routing features itself. Some models have an extensive DAW like mixer built in with the ability to change how things are routed/connected. (RTFM)

The other thing you can do to alter routing in Reaper is with the plugin patch bay. Every plugin gets the Reaper patch bay feature. Click the button marker "1/1" or 2/2" or similar. Here you can change the pin connections. Some mono plugins for example, will have the two track channel inputs both pinned to the single input. Another plugin may default to only connecting pin 1 (left track channel) to the plugin input.

I've tried to be careful and use the same terms/words as Reaper and spell things out without abbreviations.
You learned everything you need to know about routing/connecting audio signals with the connect the dots drawings way way back.
Connect the first thing to the next thing.