Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 07-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #41
Billoon
Human being with feelings

yeah, its definately there. i replaced the one on my drive with the one from the xpsp2 install disc, so i know its fine.

WMP and all other progs are running fine and crash free, only probs with reaper which sux cause i use it more than anything else.
Billoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:09 AM   #42
Jeffos
Mortal

... and this morning I can reproduce it almost systematically (same repro steps). Crazy stuff!!
=> so here's attached the "tech. info of the err. report"

Note:
- swap is managed by windows here
- in case it can help: I got another crash in reaper_midi.dll while doing exactly the same thing, here it is :

Attached Files
File Type: txt msvcrt_dll_crash.txt (25.3 KB, 206 views)
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:09 AM   #43
manning1

Billoon.
i dont know if this helps but give it a read.
http://www.instant-registry-fixes.or...crtdll-errors/
only other thing i can think of is contact the devs.
a similarity is maudio sound device ??
if its not a rpr problem i would contact maudio.
another thing you might do is if you have access to another puter with
a different sound device, install the same version of rpr n see if it still crashes.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:47 AM   #44
Fabian

Jeffos...

From the technical file:

<EXE NAME="msvcrt.dll" [...] VER_LANGUAGE="Anglais (États-Unis) [0x409]" /></EXE>
<EXE NAME="kernel32.dll" [...] VER_LANGUAGE="Français (France) [0x40c]" /></EXE>

Do you have a French kernel32.dll and an English msvcrt.dll? This might be the problem. I saw something mentioned about stricmp in the Dr Watson log you posted. Try grabbing a French version of msvcrt from M$, see if things improve.

EDIT: Uuuh... I'm mixing things up here. Now that I look, Billoon posted the Dr Watson log, Jeffos posted the technical info file. Are you two having the same problem? Or is it just "same same but different"? You both get Reaper crashes in msvcrt.dll... I've gotten a little confused here now... Anyway, Jeffos, check for a French version of msvcrt.dll and test it.

Last edited by Fabian; 07-31-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:02 AM   #45
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

I think MSVCRT.DLL is always english, there's probably nothing in it that needs translation/localisation. At least mine is english, too.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:39 AM   #46
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steindork View Post
I think MSVCRT.DLL is always english, there's probably nothing in it that needs translation/localisation. At least mine is english, too.
Yes, maybe so, mine seem to be the same but then I have English-US XP, don't dare challenge destiny by running Swedish XP with non-Swedish apps...

Just a hunch...

Anyway, have you guys (Jeffos and Billoon) installed a new version of msvcrt.dll and cleared the dllcahe (C:\Windows\system32\dllcache) You must turn off "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" under Tools > Folder Options... > View, in Win Explorer. Another hunch...

Also, there is a debug version of msvcrt available, I think. It's called msvcrtd if I remember correctly. Maybe it could give more info...

EDIT: Jeffos, is this useful http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum...demarrent-plus? (Mon Francais est terrible )

Last edited by Fabian; 07-31-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 PM   #47
Billoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Anyway, have you guys (Jeffos and Billoon) installed a new version of msvcrt.dll

Ive installed a new version of windows.

Only had one crash so far(that i cant repro) that may not be related to my earlier problem.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:56 AM   #48
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
EDIT: Uuuh... I'm mixing things up here. Now that I look, Billoon posted the Dr Watson log, Jeffos posted the technical info file. Are you two having the same problem? Or is it just "same same but different"? You both get Reaper crashes in msvcrt.dll... I've gotten a little confused here now... Anyway, Jeffos, check for a French version of msvcrt.dll and test it.
yes, same crash, same offset, same asio driver (M-Audio delta series).
Billoon also have other issues, but I don't see that here.
I don't believe in fixes that rely on win re-install, win patches, reboots, etc.. From my own experience, if you need that, it means that there's a indeed a bug, somewehre.
Don't known what do to... I think I have the latest version of this dll (win auto updates). I've switched to 2.58 (just to be 100% sure it's not here too). I'm trying to simplify the repro...

Anyway, thanks for these new ideas ! and any new ideas !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyLion View Post
I know that you're supposedly not running out of real/virtual RAM, but, hey, what can it hurt to make sure?
You're right. I understand dub3000: it smells like that indeed. I's perharps something related, but I'm quite sure it's not an overflow..
Old 08-01-2009, 06:45 AM   #49
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
- in case it can help: I got another crash in reaper_midi.dll while doing exactly the same thing, here it is :
Thank you to everyone who has posted technical crash information in this thread -- but of all the reports, this is the only one we can actually do something with!

Crashes in msvcrt, ntdll and other Windows libraries are often caused by errors in the program (probably heap memory errors, where the application is writing to memory it's not supposed to), but can also be caused by external factors (some other application misbehaving, system dll problems), and can be very hard to track down.

If you get a crash in any Reaper module (reaper.exe, reaper_midi.dll, etc) then the fault offset is usually valuable. Otherwise, the most useful thing is any steps that can possibly reproduce the crash. But if the crash isn't in a Reaper module, and there aren't any steps to reproduce, all we can do is share with your frustration.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:07 AM   #50
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Thank you to everyone who has posted technical crash information in this thread -- but of all the reports, this is the only one we can actually do something with!
hey but that's a good news, any crash--; get my vote!

Quote:
Crashes in msvcrt, ntdll and other Windows libraries are often caused by errors in the program (probably heap memory errors, where the application is writing to memory it's not supposed to), but can also be caused by external factors (some other application misbehaving, system dll problems), and can be very hard to track down.
Thanks for the feedback/details, it's definitively a different place... However, I really dislike the last sentence, especially coming from you.
Quote:
If you get a crash in any Reaper module (reaper.exe, reaper_midi.dll, etc) then the fault offset is usually valuable. Otherwise, the most useful thing is any steps that can possibly reproduce the crash. But if the crash isn't in a Reaper module, and there aren't any steps to reproduce, all we can do is share with your frustration.
Received 5/5! I'll post something here if I think I get more reliable "steps to reproduce"...
Old 08-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #51
Billoon

Jeffos, ive had no msvcrt crashes since doing a clean windows install.

It might be worth it, to see if that fixes it at your end too.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:02 AM   #52
Jeffos
Mortal

Billoon, I think it's more likely "in your backyard, waiting". I have to find a better repro to deny/confirm that...
Old 08-04-2009, 12:25 AM   #53
Billoon

Hmm, i hope not.

...but if you reinstall windows and then your repro doesnt work anymore, then we'll know for sure it is a local issue not a reaper issue.

Then cockos can spend their time on other stuff and you can get on with making music.

If the repro still works after a clean install, then maybe it is worth taking a better look at.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:59 AM   #54
Jeffos
Mortal

Still here in 3.11
I've tried and tried, and tried... I don't have a simple repro (this bug seems only to occur with heavy projects). However, I've enough available space to upload the 2 big projects (switching between both triggers the bug very often).
Cockos, are you interested ?