Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-24-2022, 03:09 PM   #1
jjarbutus
Human being with feelings

Default Newbie Question on Rendering

I want to render with my effects to a MP3. None of my attempts have worked and the suggestions i seen on youtube and other outlets didn't explain it well enough. I'm a musician trying to simply record myself and provide a decent end product to share.

BTW I am using the latest version I downloaded two weeks ago.

Thanks in advanced

Jim A
jjarbutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:01 PM   #2
dea-man

I believe you must download an MP3 codec and place it in the main REAPER directory.

At least that's the way it used to be. Its been so long since I even thought about it.

Did you click the drop down box in Render to choose MP3? That will tell you if its there, or not.

Hopefully someone who knows will chime in, or you could download the current manual to see what it says.
Old 03-25-2022, 06:58 AM   #3
nait

Reaper should automatically come with LAME MP3 encoder now (and no, I dont think it lame, that's the name of it lol!). You had to manually download it in the past though, yes.

But other than that, dea-man's got it right. When you go to render, there is a format dropdown where you pick MP3.

https://i.imgur.com/bDplmyu.png

If that is not there or doesn't work, what O/S are you using (including version). The encoder dll will be sitting in the plugins directory, but, according to the manual, there is a different version for Windows XP/Vista (lame_enc.dll) and a different version for 64-bit windows (libmp3lame.dll or lame_enc64.dll). The 64-bit dll (libmp3lame.dll) is there with the 64-bit Reaper installer, but I don't see the Vista or XP one there, so you may need that, if you use one of those OSes, or a completely different one for Mac or Linux.

If you're a bit green with a computer, no worries, just let us know what O/S you are using (again, include version). As well, let us know if that Mp3 option is in the drop down and what happens when you try and render with that. (any errors?)
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 03-25-2022 at 07:08 AM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:14 AM   #4
jjarbutus

Default Lame MP3

Lame MP3 is already there. When I render and listen to in while it is rendering i can hear the effects. When I open the MP3 to play back it is in its raw form.
I feel like i am missing something.... BTW - I work on computers all the time - I get paid very well to do so. I simply cant fine some comprehensive instructions to keep the effect when rendering on my version 6 X
Old 03-26-2022, 08:16 AM   #5
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjarbutus View Post
When I render and listen to in while it is rendering i can hear the effects.
How do you listen to a song while it's rendering?
Frank Lee Scarlett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:22 AM   #6
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee Scarlett View Post
How do you listen to a song while it's rendering?
Online render?
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:32 AM   #7
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Online render?
I had no idea. I've never come across that. Thanx.
Frank Lee Scarlett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:53 AM   #8
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee Scarlett View Post
I had no idea. I've never come across that. Thanx.
Some plugins may not work properly with offline render.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:35 AM   #9
jjarbutus

Default rendering setting I am using

her are my setting in the rendering window. When I render in this way IIt renders at normaL playing speed and i can hear it.... with effects.
Attached Images
File Type: png Render_.PNG (42.1 KB, 64 views)
Old 03-26-2022, 09:40 AM   #10
serr

Separate rendering your mix from reducing it to mp3. At least initially until you figure out what's messing with you.

Render your mix to wav or flac. Import it to a new track and null it against your live mix if think something is going wrong with the render. (eg. some plugin crashing) Keeping in mind that modulation fx can be unique for every pass and not null! You can always A/B the render vs. live of course. You need to trust your ears.

I've nulled plenty of renders with source items to verify things. Reaper isn't some broken DOA app that can't even render 1:1. That would be pretty wild for people to use such a thing and everyone just misses it, right?

Anyway, once you figure out what's going on with keeping your render 1:1 with the live mix, then convert that wav or flac render to mp3 and critique that. We already know we favor the convenience of the small file in spite of the compromise and expect to hear a little generation loss. I'd recommend just rendering to lossless and creating any lossy copies as needed from that. Scratch copies of scratch mixes are all well and good but what happens if one of those mixes becomes important down the road?
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 03:37 AM   #11
domzy

Quote:
When I render and listen to in while it is rendering i can hear the effects. When I open the MP3 to play back it is in its raw form.
Are you playing back in Reaper or in other software?

Where are the FX you wish to render? Hopefully you are not talking about monitor FX?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 03:56 PM   #12
jjarbutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
Are you playing back in Reaper or in other software?

Where are the FX you wish to render? Hopefully you are not talking about monitor FX?

I am playing back in Reaper. It seems to me if I record with effects and can playback with effects I should be able to render what I record and playback. Is there some other process I am missing???
Old 03-29-2022, 03:20 PM   #13
Lynx_TWO

Non-related to your problem but definitely related to the render:

Change Resampling to R8Brain
Change CBR (Constant Bit Rate) to VBR2 or VBR3 (Variable BitRate = better allocation of bits throughout the song for the same file size)
Change Q=2 to Q=0 (if that’s an option) for better encoding quality

These settings will result in a higher-quality MP3 encode, and with modern CPUs you won’t notice any speed difference in rendering
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 02:52 AM   #14
Alistair S

Quote:
I am playing back in Reaper. It seems to me if I record with effects and can playback with effects I should be able to render what I record and playback. Is there some other process I am missing???
There are a number of places to load your FX. They can be on the item, on the track, as "input FX" or as "monitoring FX".

Where are the FX you have loaded?

If they are "monitoring FX" they will not be rendered.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote