Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

View Poll Results: Mouse or Trackball???
Mouse 13 50.00%
Trackball 13 50.00%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
camerondye
Human being with feelings

Default Mouse or TrackBall???

I know this is generally a preference thing, but is there any real advantage to a Trackball over a mouse. Also, post your pro-Mouse or pro-Trackball argument.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
karl

I remember when ye olde laptops had trackballs by default, and I loved them, but that's when I used them for nothing more than a bit of typing up.

But based on that memory, I bought a USB trackball, thinking it would be a great thing to use with REAPER and other stuff I like to do. But I found that I really missed the scrollwheel of a mouse. Something that I don't recall even existing back in the day.

So, mouse it is for me!

Last edited by karl; 07-13-2010 at 10:52 AM.
karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

I've been using trackballs for around twelve years now. I prefer trackballs to mice because they take up less operating space and don't run out of travel on the edge of a scroll or zoom.

My current favourite is this one (five buttons and scroll wheel)....

Old 07-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
karl

...but my problem arises becasue I have a track ball where a scroll wheel would normally go. But I've not seen one like that before! (Not that I've looked particularly hard!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post

...might have to get one!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl View Post
...but my problem arises becasue I have a track ball where a scroll wheel would normally go. But I've not seen one like that before!

...might have to get one!
That one is a Microsoft Trackball Optical. I have two of them. One for my laptop and one for my studio rig.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
camerondye

So the only bonus to a Trackball is it takes up less real estate and doesn't move. I'm not picky about mice but I actually just moved back to a wired mouse because the wireless ones were giving me issues.
cam
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
logicgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
I've been using trackballs for around twelve years now. I prefer trackballs to mice because they take up less operating space and don't run out of travel on the edge of a scroll or zoom.

My current favourite is this one (five buttons and scroll wheel)....

That's what I use as well. I don't think they make them any more, though.
logicgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
bullshark

Tried both type of trackball, they made my hand hurt and go numb after no more than 10 minutes. I could feel the RSI settling as at every move I made with those.

I have no problems using mice, but I do have padded wrist support and sensible acceleration settings for mouse action.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
timlloyd

A question for the trackball users

Is it as easy to do accurate editing as with a mouse? I've never used a trackball, but the space-saving and extra buttons are quite enticing.
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post

Is it as easy to do accurate editing as with a mouse? I've never used a trackball, but the space-saving and extra buttons are quite enticing.
I'm using mine for everything from audio editing to graphic design (in Photoshop mainly), video editing and 3D animation and it is plenty accurate enough for those tasks. I guess it all comes down to what you're used to but I find it just as easy to make fine adjustments with a trackball or a mouse.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
ngarjuna

Quote:

Once you get used to it yes. It is a transition, though.

I've gone both ways on this, in fact currently one of my production machines is setup with my Kensington ExpertMouse (which used to be a staple in production houses, particularly video) and the other with a high end Logitech gaming mouse. I like them both, actually. I used to only use the ExpertMouse because my wrist didn't hurt after very long sessions. Since getting my Logitech I find it does as good a job at not hurting me (hence why I did not purchase a second trackball).
ngarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
timlloyd

Cool cool, thanks for the info! I might give one a try soon.
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #13
UserZero

Somebody could make a killing if they could figure a way around the bogus patent claim that stopped Logitech from making the TrackMan® Marble FX which, having tried several others, is the only trackball worthy of the name. I wish I'd bought 10 of them back when I thought they were overpriced at $29.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
Blechi

Trackball user (~15 years) here as well.
I use Logitech's Trackman Wheel:

Why?
- needs less space
- you only move the ball and not the whole device
- very precise
- there are only two things i hate more than mice:
1. non thumb operated trackballs
2. trackpads
Blechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blechi View Post
Trackball user (~15 years) here as well.
I use Logitech's Trackman Wheel:
Same here. Started using them because consoles didn't have space for mouse pads near the mix position. Kept using them because I found I could edit much faster with them.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #16
beatbybit

Logitech Marble Mouse fan here. i've got 4 of them.

no more mouse for me, i couldnt work with them anymore.

i prefer this moder over the other trackballs, i never liked the "thumb ball". plus i prefer the 2 button model, not the 4 buttons.

no wheel.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #17
karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbybit View Post
Logitech Marble Mouse fan here. i prefer this moder over the other trackballs, i never liked the "thumb ball". no wheel.
That's the model I have! But as I say, having got so used to using a scroll wheel, it drives me mad not having it! Determined to find a 'thumball' version now though...

Quote:
Despite not having a scroll wheel on mine, I often have it plugged in when using the laptop because I find it far more practical than the F*&^$ing 'touchpad'. I only learnt to drive a couple of years ago and found that far easier to get used to!

Plus, you can comfortably sit in bed while using a trackball - no flat surface needed!

Ultimately though, I still prefer a mouse for "serious" work.

Hmmm... I also have a graphic tablet tucked away somewhere that I haven't used in ages. I wonder how well that'll work as an editing tool...?
Old 07-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #18
d.bop

I just posted this earlier.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0scroll%20ring

When it's back in stock, I'm grabbing one! Trackball mouse + scroll ring

I have REALLY bad RSI in my wrist, forearm, and clicking finger from using a mouse most of my life (started messing with computers when I was probably 8 or 9. I'm 23 now.) I bought a Bamboo Touch pad but found out quickly that editing with your fingers is really really annoying! Regular mousing with it is pretty nice though.

I've used trackballs in the past and absolutely loved them.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #19
chrisharbin

I'd love to get a trackball but quite frankly the ones available here don't seem to have enough features. I simply must have page back/fourth and many trackballs available don't have the features I want.

I like the looks of this

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-p...ls/devices/189

but it's wireless, and I've found logictech wireless to glitch and freeze.

Anyways, I'm rambling.....I hope you find a nice unit that works for your needs!
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #20
ngarjuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
I'd love to get a trackball but quite frankly the ones available here don't seem to have enough features. I simply must have page back/fourth and many trackballs available don't have the features I want.

I like the looks of this

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-p...ls/devices/189

but it's wireless, and I've found logictech wireless to glitch and freeze.

Anyways, I'm rambling.....I hope you find a nice unit that works for your needs!
You might like the Kensington ExpertMouse.

4 buttons (the top two default to back/forward), scroll wheel, extreme comfort. When Avid started catching on in video houses this mouse was the de facto standard. It's truly awesome, I still use one on my second production machine.
ngarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #21
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
You might like the Kensington ExpertMouse.

4 buttons (the top two default to back/forward), scroll wheel, extreme comfort. When Avid started catching on in video houses this mouse was the de facto standard. It's truly awesome, I still use one on my second production machine.
LOL! I'm just reading up on these (and they have them in stock locally, though not as good a price as online)

thanks!
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #22
Kihoalu

I also use the Logitech Marble Mouse trackball. I need something that no one has mentioned yet! To prevent RSI (repetitive stress injury) as mentioned above, a very very effective technique is to learn to "mouse" with either hand, REALLY. It only takes about a month to get-up-to-speed with either hand (even for an old coot like me), and it completely cured my RSI of the hand as well as a related back problem (I had gone the the emergency room several times thinking I was having a heart attack when the problem was actually my back due to the asymmetrical way that everyone leans a little when resting only one hand/side on a mouse).

So I need a completely symmetrical mouse or trackball device and the marble-mouse is the only symmetrical track ball I have been able to find.

AND - not only do trackballs not need to move, they do not move when you click! All mice tend to move a little when the click pressure is applied which then moves your selection slightly off target. Track balls do not have this problem.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:15 AM   #23
Analogy

For the trackball vs. regular mouse debate, I submit this: One of the skills required of professional video gamers is extreme speed and precision with a mouse. No professional gamers use trackballs. If trackballs could be as fast or precise as regular mice, at least one pro gamer would be using one.

Trackballs are very useful for their low footprint, just don't pretend they're useful for productivity. =D

Myself, I used a Logitech Trackman Marble FX for a while, it broke and it was discontinued so I switched to a Microsoft Trackball Explorer. Nowadays I'm on a Logitech G5. If I have to be on a trackball, the ones with larger finger-operated balls allow me to be far more precise than the mice with the smaller balls. Thumb-operated balls are right out, I can't believe that anyone finds the thumb to be an acceptable appendage for the precise control of anything.
Analogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:10 AM   #24
musicbynumbers

Big fan of wacom pen pads as it's the only thing i've tried which because it's a more natural angle stops rsi pain in my hand. Trackballs still force your wrist to twist. Anyway.. that's my opinion given
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote