Old 05-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #1
WalterSK
Human being with feelings

Default MOV file freezes

I'm using Reaper on a an i7 8-core Windows 10 machine with 12gb RAM and a 1gb video card. I'm finally getting the hang of processing my audio files, recorded with a Zoom H6. I'm planning on using the H6 in conjunction with my Olympus OMD-EM1 MkII to do some oral history recording this summer.

I took a 1-minute MOV file, 457mb, with a frame of 3840x2160 pixels recorded at 29.9 fps at a 48kHZ sample rate and opened it in Reaper. No problem with the camera's audio, which played back fine. But the video track froze after about 20 seconds while the audio continued. The file played fine in VLC, and in Lightroom CC.

I would like to record my video at the best quality possible because of the oral history project. Is my computer setup too meager to edit the videos with Reaper (optimizing the H6's audio and syncing it onto the camera's video)? Or is there something else that I could do somehow, like running the video track in Reaper in reduced quality, while being able to edit and sync the H6 tracks?
WalterSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
vitalker

What codec do you use to decode mov?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
WalterSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
What codec do you use to decode mov?
Damned if I know

How do I find out?
Old 05-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSK View Post
How do I find out?
Item properties (F2 by default)->Properties...
In the second paragraph you'll see line like this: "Using VLC decoder (v2.2.x)"
Old 05-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #5
WalterSK

Quote:
Item properties (F2 by default)->Properties...
In the second paragraph you'll see line like this: "Using VLC decoder (v2.2.x)"
Just did it, and that's the one I'm using (VLC decoder (v2.2.x).
Old 05-12-2018, 02:41 AM   #6
vitalker

Quote:
Just did it, and that's the one I'm using (VLC decoder (v2.2.x).
Hm, maybe try to change it to ffmpeg. Go to Preferences->Video/REX/Misc and in Video decoder priority and use the instructions under the text box to change decoder for mov.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
WalterSK

Quote:
Hm, maybe try to change it to ffmpeg. Go to Preferences->Video/REX/Misc and in Video decoder priority and use the instructions under the text box to change decoder for mov.
Here is what I had in the Vide decoder priority box:
vlc ffmpeg qt:mov,qt,m4v,mp4 dshow:!mov,!mp4,!m4v,!qt

I wasn't sure about what to do. I first moved vlc to the other side of ffmpeg, hit "apply", closed Reaper and reopened it. When I opened the video file the audio tracks played, but not the video. I repeated, this time deleting the vlc from the Video decoder box, but no change. I then tried adding :ext1 after ffmpeg, with no change. Finally, I put vlc back, before the ffmpeg, and I am back to what it did before; the video track still freezes after about 20 seconds.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by WalterSK; 05-12-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:52 AM   #8
vitalker

Quote:
Any thoughts?
Hm, ":ext1" means extension, not this expression, for example, mov. Try to follow these instructions and download the last version of ffmpeg: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Video_Support . Probably QuickTime will play it without freezes. Try it, too.

Under the link you'll find subtitle "Configurable Playback Method per video format (Reaper 5 and up)". There you'll find more instructions how to include/exclude particular formats.

Last edited by vitalker; 05-13-2018 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #9
WalterSK

Quote:
Hm, ":ext1" means extension, not this expression, for example, mov. Try to follow these instructions and download the last version of ffmpeg: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Video_Support . Probably QuickTime will play it without freezes. Try it, too.

Under the link you'll find subtitle "Configurable Playback Method per video format (Reaper 5 and up)". There you'll find more instructions how to include/exclude particular formats.
I followed your link, and downloaded/installed both the latest VLC and ffMpeg files, as well as reading carefully about including/excluding various formats.One improvement is that I can now load, view, and supposedly edit any of my mp3 or mp4 files. However, no matter how I tried using :mov or !mov after various items in the video preferences, all I could do was either stop being able to load .mov files, or have them freeze at one point or another, sometimes immediately, while with VLC opening them, after about 20 seconds.

I tried Quick Time as well, with no better results. Again, if I run VLC Media Player from Windows, those file run OK.

So thanks, again, for the link, but I still haven't been successful. These .mov files are only about 1 - 2 minutes long. I think I have very little chance of my interview files running at all through Reaper, as they will be much bigger files, probably.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #10
vitalker

Sorry for my inability to help you.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:49 PM   #11
WalterSK

Default Anyone Else Have An Idea?

I would like to know if anybody using a PC with similar power to mine (!7 8-core, 12gb RAM, 1gb video card) is able to use Reaper with 4k mov video files?

If so, could you let me know what settings you are using for video?

I tried reducing the 4K frame rate to 24fps, down from 30fps, but no better performance. I also tried the next-lower size, 1920x1080pixels, and it ran OK at 24 and 30fps,both .mov files using VLC as the decoder.

Is there any way to have the larger file run in Reaper at lower quality playback just for editing purposes, while having it rend back to the original quality?

Last edited by WalterSK; 05-15-2018 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Additional statement
Old 05-24-2018, 06:26 PM   #12
Philbo King

Quote:
I would like to know if anybody using a PC with similar power to mine (!7 8-core, 12gb RAM, 1gb video card) is able to use Reaper with 4k mov video files?

If so, could you let me know what settings you are using for video?

I tried reducing the 4K frame rate to 24fps, down from 30fps, but no better performance. I also tried the next-lower size, 1920x1080pixels, and it ran OK at 24 and 30fps,both .mov files using VLC as the decoder.

Is there any way to have the larger file run in Reaper at lower quality playback just for editing purposes, while having it rend back to the original quality?

I think so. The edit display resolution is set in the Project Settings, but the output resolution is set in the Render options window. They don't have to be the same.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:19 PM   #13
WalterSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
I think so. The edit display resolution is set in the Project Settings, but the output resolution is set in the Render options window. They don't have to be the same.
The questions I have about that are: Is the edit display resolution acting as a proxy for the full resolution, or is it actually a diminished version of the original?

If I set then set the Render options to return to the original high resolution, would Reaper apply the edits to the original file (I don't think so) or would it upsample the smaller file with the edits, giving me a physically larger file that still does not have the high resolution of the original file? What I mean is that even if the rendered file is the same size as the original, it does not have the detailed content that the original has.

Last edited by WalterSK; 05-26-2018 at 06:33 PM.