Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #1
Kaiso
Human being with feelings

Default Note length when inserting in musical notation?

I'm creating tracks by inserting notes in Musical notation. However, I haven't yet discovered how to change the note length before I insert notes.

e.g., all the notes inserted are 1/16th. I then have to go into the note properties to change them.

I assume there must be a key or method to change the note duration before insertion?

e.g. I insert a 1/16th, then click something to change the next insertion to a whole note, then back again.

I seem to remember in Cakewalk from 2000 that I dragged in notes of varying lengths and did not have to edit each.
Kaiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:31 PM   #2
thevisi0nary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiso View Post
I'm creating tracks by inserting notes in Musical notation. However, I haven't yet discovered how to change the note length before I insert notes.

e.g., all the notes inserted are 1/16th. I then have to go into the note properties to change them.

I assume there must be a key or method to change the note duration before insertion?

e.g. I insert a 1/16th, then click something to change the next insertion to a whole note, then back again.

I seem to remember in Cakewalk from 2000 that I dragged in notes of varying lengths and did not have to edit each.
Use the actions that say "Insert note: 1" "Insert note: 1/2" etc.
thevisi0nary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:40 PM   #3
Kaiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevisi0nary View Post
Use the actions that say "Insert note: 1" "Insert note: 1/2" etc.
I'm new to Reaper. I'm not sure what "Actions" are. I assume they some sort of key commands/short cuts/aliases? If I'm getting it, I need to create a keystroke/Action for each note command like Insert note: 1?

I guess I thought there would be a panel with the notes that I could just drag and drop?
Kaiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:28 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiso View Post
I'm new to Reaper. I'm not sure what "Actions" are. I assume they some sort of key commands/short cuts/aliases?
Basically, yes. More info here - and make sure to select Section: [MIDI Editor] at the top right of the Action List window in this case: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#tzg9fifza0s

As a general side note:

In case you haven't already found them, make sure to check out the User Guide (https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php) and Video Section (https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php) in general. Lots of useful info there.
In addition, to list a few other sources:

Last edited by solger; 10-21-2018 at 03:55 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote