Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #1
BobbiMac
Human being with feelings

Default Crackling noise after rendering EZ Drummer in Reaper

Hi Everyone,
I need help!
Reaper presently, is not my friend, but I really want it to be.

O.K. I've got as far as getting EZ Drummer multi-tracks into Reaper then rendering in Reaper. I listen back to these and there is crackling and popping noises, as if it's peaking, when I can see from the DB metering, it is not.

I am running 64 Reaper Version 5.978 and EZDrummer2 on a Lenovo laptop Windows 10, 8GB of Ram with 6.96 gig useable and 64 bit operating system x 64 based processor with headphones presently.
My EZ is set: Buffer Size 256 at present. When I've tried changing to higher / lower, it doesn't seem to make a difference to the crackling noises once copied and pasted and rendered into Reaper.
I have also tried turning down the Volume out from EZ so it's reading -15db before I copy and paste, but there is still what sounds like clipping or peaking static, crackling noise on the completed rendered track.

When I listen to my song in EZ Drummer, there is no crackling or popping be4 I merge / copy / past into Reaper (THANK YOU Kurt for your Youtube video, this has been really helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBmfgYL9Qn )
Once I merge from EZ in Paste into Reaper doing what Kurt showed, and Render tracks and mute originals and listen back, there is cracking, popping noises coming through, which sound to me like it's peaking, when according to the DB levels, is not even near 0db.

Is there a way around not getting this noise in Reaper???

Look forward to hearging a remedy, as I'm about to give up on Reaper.
Your my only help, OB1 / aka Reaper Forum.
Thanks Everyone, really would appreciate the help.
Cheers,
BobbiMac
PS I'm a muso, singer songwriter using EZ Drummer and MX88 keys and my voice to record stuff and hopefully one day, release CD number 2, if I can figure out Reaper
BobbiMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:34 AM   #2
ivansc

First, download and run resplendence.com`s latecy checker, which will highlight any problems your machine may have recording multitrack audio/MIDI.
Assuming that throws up no problems, check what happens with reaper`s performance meter when you render.
In general, if you havent already, download and check out the User Guide & also take a look at the excellent video tutorials offered free at reaper.fm.

To me it sounds like either your system is over stressed when rendering, you have a hardware conflict, o ryou have a plugin (s) that suck up more cpu cycles when rendering.
Good luck!

EDIT: Just re-read your post. Are you generating your drum tracks within the standalone EZD & then cut/pasting them into reaper?
It isnt clear if you are doing this or (preferred method) Opening a new track with EZD inserted as a vsti & then generating your MIDI part in Reaper.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:12 AM   #3
BobbiMac

Hi Ivan,
Thanks, giving this a go.
I'm using EZ as floating VST and loading project and merging& clicking and draggin this into Reaper i.e. the preferred option you mention.

I'll keep trying, thanks again for the resplendence idea.
Cheers
Bobbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
First, download and run resplendence.com`s latecy checker, which will highlight any problems your machine may have recording multitrack audio/MIDI.
Assuming that throws up no problems, check what happens with reaper`s performance meter when you render.
In general, if you havent already, download and check out the User Guide & also take a look at the excellent video tutorials offered free at reaper.fm.

To me it sounds like either your system is over stressed when rendering, you have a hardware conflict, o ryou have a plugin (s) that suck up more cpu cycles when rendering.
Good luck!

EDIT: Just re-read your post. Are you generating your drum tracks within the standalone EZD & then cut/pasting them into reaper?
It isnt clear if you are doing this or (preferred method) Opening a new track with EZD inserted as a vsti & then generating your MIDI part in Reaper.
BobbiMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:33 AM   #4
ivansc

You are still wording your method in a way that makes it difficult to understand what you are doing. TO CLARIFY:

Open reaper and right click in the blank area to the left of your screen. One of the options will be to insert a virtual instrument in a new track. Select that and when the plugin window opens, choose the EZDrummer VSTi from the list.
This will create a new track WITHIN REAPER with EZDrummer already inserted in the FX part.
Go to the top menu and select "Insert". In the insert dropdown menu, select new MIDI item and a blank MIDI item will appear in the track window you have put EZD in.
Now you can create your MIDI part by selecting the EZD MIDI clips you want & dragging them into the new MIDI item.
It is best to make sure you have looping turned off in the MIDI item, because then you can just keep adding MIDI and extening the new track so you can see it by grabbing the right side of the MIDI item and pulling it sideways to your right.
If you leave looping enabled, you will only get repeated loops of what is in your first MIDI item repeated over and over again. Not what you want! I have to say that the startup behaviour in Reaper as far as MIDI looping is concerned is the opposite of what I learned decades ago from all the old MIDI sequencers that were around, but since it is so easy to switch between the "old" and the "new" stles of workflow, it`s no big deal.

Have fun!
Old 06-03-2019, 02:41 AM   #5
Hypex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiMac View Post
Hi Everyone,
I need help!
Reaper presently, is not my friend, but I really want it to be.

LOL. Well that's rather lovely. I hope it becomes your friend. :-)

I can't give any specific advice to this exact situation but I do have experience with digital distortion. With rendering a mix that overflows. What I found was not any obvious type of crack or pop or even how analogue distortion would sound but something other. What I heard was exactly as the waveform looked to my surprise. It sounded flat. Since the top and bottom ends of the wave had been cut, the peaks and troughs were flattened off and this has the effect reducing treble in the mix. At least that is what it sounds like. I don't know but suspect this was used for that popular acid drips effect where the treble used to be taken down on a sound then taken up again.

This is just something to keep in mind. I'm not saying you don't have any distortion. But one thing to try is to render your mix as float. Then load it into Audacity or similar and check it for overflow. Master and EZ drums solo for comparison would be a good start I think.
Hypex is offline   Reply With Quote