Old 08-17-2011, 06:06 AM   #161
Sergenious
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
I've never actually tried burning a cd with reaper, but it seems currently possible to export to .cue ... so would this help?

http://ss64.com/osx/drutil.html

I assume that there is a way for reaper to execute things via the OS command-line, in which case it might be possible to burn to redbook cd by exporting to .cue along with a .toc file and then running the drutil command with the [ burn -audio "path" ] options ... or something.

I can try and experiment with it in a couple of days if that helps? I have to finish off a project first.

I wouldn't be surprised if JCS are already using drutil on OSX in order to burn from CUE/BIN, so it may be really easy for them ... who knows
For the OSX I don't know, as I was never be able to use Mac, but now I see that on Windows, Reaper can burn the CD either by Windows native method (I am sure this is IMAPI), or via cdrecord (http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html).

Cdrecord seems a good solution, and if anyone can study the parameters, I may provide the calling of this cdrecord command line from the DDP export line.

If Tim Lloyd finds out the parameters for Mac's drutil (and if JCS do actually use drutil), I may also include them.

My music (metal)
Sergenious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #162
WyattRice

Sergej,
This is great news if you can use the cdtools/cdrecord to burn the DDP. If you can make this happen, it would be great.

Here's what's wrong with Reaper's current way of burning.

1. After rendering the cue/bin format, there's no way to select the write speed. It doesn't exist

2. If you simply want to burn a stored cue/bin, you have to render the cue/bin again.

3. There is no separate burn dialog. I mentioned this in a thread, but had no response.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=84444

I've found a another program for Mac that will import a DDPMS as a cuesheet. It's called XLD. Here's the link. http://tmkk.pv.land.to/xld/index_e.html It imports ok, but I've had no success in burning a CD yet. It's to my understanding that it's open source. On that site, if you search for DDP, you'll find:

Added support for DDP (Disc Description Protocol) files
"DDPMS" files can be opened as a cue sheet.

I asked Justin recently about burning a DDP.
http://www.askjf.com/index.php?q=1434s

IMHO, it would be less confusing for everyone to do away with the cue/bin format, and use DDP as the choice for Burning audio CD's in Reaper.

Last edited by WyattRice; 08-17-2011 at 08:33 AM.
WyattRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #163
timlloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattRice View Post
IMHO, it would be less confusing for everyone to do away with the cue/bin format, and use DDP as the choice for Burning audio CD's in Reaper.
Yes I think so too.
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #164
vinx

Quote:
+1 here too
vinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #165
Nick Morris

+1 also
Nick Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:55 AM   #166
vinx

Burning in reaper via DDP would be safer but we need to keep the export as cue bin function as well . It's useful when you want to send via ftp the cd Master image (checking purpose) to clients who own only a standard burning software: cue bin si the most supported format at present for CDimage burning.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:06 AM   #167
timlloyd

Good point vinx ...

Quote:
Then again, it would be pretty slick if there was a separate little WALTER-able Cockos DDP player application for clients to securely check masters on ... maybe eventually ...

would be cool
Old 08-19-2011, 04:18 AM   #168
G-Sun

I think as well that a separate little burning app would be very nice.
But then, why not make it a total CD-builder-tool?
Burning image and exporting in:
- Cue/bin
- DDP
With the choice to use a project or choose individually files.

After all, a better input/display-method would be very welcome.
(No disrespect of course for the solution you've made here)
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:58 AM   #169
vinx

I like the idea to use markers inside reaper to build the CD. It has the feeling of great mastering apps (SADIE, Pyramix), you can modify whatever you want easily. The markers (CD markers) should be the same for DDP and cue.
A CD builder may be nice for sure , for quick CD building...
Old 08-19-2011, 05:19 AM   #170
timlloyd

This would be awesome:

When exporting to DDP, a separate option:
  • create custom player (or something)

Which would create an application that was "wrapped around" the DDP fileset and whose only function was to play back its DDP contents via play, pause and skip >< (and show track names, isrc, etc) ... that could be emailed to a client.

Perhaps my faith in JCS is ott, but it seems like such a thing could be pretty simple to make, and wouldn't need to be hardly any bigger than the actual DDP fileset itself. So the recipient would get an application labelled with their name (artist/band/etc.) and the name of the release. Maybe it could even be time-locked as well if necessary, and be able to burn it contents to CD.

So instead of emailing a DDP set to a client and having them open it in a separate app along with some kind of license key, it would just be all-in-one.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think the other players out there work as smoothly as this could?

Last edited by timlloyd; 08-19-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:38 AM   #171
Sergenious

I must clarify some things

DDP files are not written on the CD surface. DDP files just provide the information about the tracks, indices, ISRC, EAN and as an extension, CD-TEXT. This is the same as CUE/BIN. There is always 1:1 mapping between CUE/BIN and DDP, and can be converted one to another.

So, DDP burner will not burn DDP image, as the CUE/BIN does not burn CUE/BIN files. Both just provide information to the burner, how to burn the actual audio data. If there will be DDP burning, it will probably use CUE/BIN as the temporary intermediate format, which is more common format for the existing CD burners.

CD production plants use DDP because it is more robust (manually written CUE file can have errors). DDP may include a lot more information that CUE cannot, but for ordinary CD audio disks, that extra data is not needed.

So, if anyone can analyze and study the "cdrecord" (or drutil, or xlr or whatever) parameters, I will implement it. I don't have enought time.
As said, it will still not burn DDP, but it will burn audio tracks with the same markers and data, as would CD production plant from the DDP files.

My music (metal)
Old 08-19-2011, 05:41 AM   #172
Sergenious

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinx View Post
The markers (CD markers) should be the same for DDP and cue.
That was also my idea, to upgrade the CUE/BIN exporting to include the new extra data, but this can be only be done by JCS, as I don't have access to their source code.

My music (metal)
Old 08-19-2011, 05:46 AM   #173
timlloyd

Indeed, I will try and understand some relevant things about drutil over the next few days
Old 08-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #174
Nick Morris

I really like the ideas I am hearing here. I like the idea of a customized ddp player for clients, I like the idea of using the markers like I am used to in Pyramix. These things if implemented would be awesome
Old 08-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #175
WyattRice

Something that's confusing to me is that why is Reapers format different than the others, meaning Sequoia, Samplitude, WaveLab, CD Architect, etc. use the cue/wav format, and that wav files can be opened, edited, played, on screen vs the cue/bin has to be converted first, and can't be opened directly in Reaper. What am I missing here?

I'm very thankful that Sergej has provided a way to import the .DAT from the DDP fileset.

Last edited by WyattRice; 08-19-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #176
vinx

cue/bin is something different than cue/wav as far as I know. I think you can't edit a bin file, it's only intended to be burned, just like DDP.
Cue/wav uses one wave file (wholeCD) or multiples (one per track). +the cue (text file) which lists infos about indexes' place on the files.
Bin is good when sending to a client, because you're sure he can't do something wrong with it (like adding pauses within tracks or changing the order).But it's only for burning and some people want to hear quickly the master via files, so I second Tim with his idea of the custom DDP player. Would be awesome...

Last edited by vinx; 08-20-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #177
G-Sun

Quote:
cue/bin is something different than cue/wav as I know. I think you can't edit a bin file, it's only intended to be burned, just like DDP.
Cue/wav uses one wave file (wholeCD) or multiples (one per track). +the cue (text file) which lists infos about indexes' place on the files.
Bin is good when sending to a client, because you're sure he can't do something wrong with it (like adding pauses within tracks or changing the order).But it's only for burning and some people want to hear quickly the master via files, so I second Tim with his idea of the custom DDP player. Would be awesome...
Isn't bin just a wav with all the audio in one piece. And you can rename it wav and play it?
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #178
WyattRice

Quote:
This would be awesome:

When exporting to DDP, a separate option:
  • create custom player (or something)

Which would create an application that was "wrapped around" the DDP fileset and whose only function was to play back its DDP contents via play, pause and skip >< (and show track names, isrc, etc) ... that could be emailed to a client.

Perhaps my faith in JCS is ott, but it seems like such a thing could be pretty simple to make, and wouldn't need to be hardly any bigger than the actual DDP fileset itself. So the recipient would get an application labelled with their name (artist/band/etc.) and the name of the release. Maybe it could even be time-locked as well if necessary, and be able to burn it contents to CD.

So instead of emailing a DDP set to a client and having them open it in a separate app along with some kind of license key, it would just be all-in-one.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think the other players out there work as smoothly as this could?
+1 This would be a great! All in one solution. If the client wanted to burn a CD quickly, the just open the application, and click the burn button.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #179
WyattRice

Quote:
cue/bin is something different than cue/wav as I know. I think you can't edit a bin file, it's only intended to be burned, just like DDP.
OK, I can agree with the cue-bin as far as not having a client mess with it, but what I was trying to say is, for us to have a way (option) to import, render a cue/wav format, since that seems to be the standard among the other mastering audio applications.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #180
WyattRice

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Isn't bin just a wav with all the audio in one piece. And you can rename it wav and play it?
It doesn't work that way in Reaper.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #181
Snap

Yes, it would be great exporting cues. Reaper opens/imports them. It wouldn't be too difficult to make it exporting or rendering into that format too. Though DDP is better and preferred as a final master format, Cues are always useful.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:53 AM   #182
vinx

Quote:
OK, I can agree with the cue-bin as far as not having a client mess with it, but what I was trying to say is, for us to have a way (option) to import, render a cue/wav format, since that seems to be the standard among the other mastering audio applications.
Sure. That's why at present I mostly use regions rendering (1 region/track including pause most of the time) in Reaper, then build the CD with external soft...Would be great to have only one format: DDP, with the player/burner we were talking about.
How are you working at now people there?
Old 08-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #183
Snap

How are you working at now people there?

Samplitude for mastering.

I'd love to see Reaper as a better mastering tool some day. DDP is a must.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #184
kaaijmusic

Hello,
although I'm not posting very often, I've been a Reaper user for four years now, using it every day in my studio! I'm really happy with the DDP Export anyway, especially because the Sonoris DDP creator got completely inaccessible for my screenreader after the decided to rebuild the interface… Anyway, I won't bother you with that.
There is a way to create a wav/cue image with Reaper. You can do this by using Reaburn, an addon created by Art Evans as you might probably know. Some days ago I discovered that there was a modified version, which also lets you burn a bin/cue image with Index0 Markers. This version can also do Wav/cue. just render to Wav or bin/cue and create the cuesheet with this tool. It can still be found at the Stash site. Hope this helps.
Rene
kaaijmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #185
Art Evans
Mortal

The last version of Reaburn (2.5) that I released is at http://sites.google.com/site/insideaudioreaper/ - dunno what other versions are knocking about.

The code is as follows - I forget whether I have posted it before. It's for AutoHotKey. Frankly I've now forgotten how it works (in terms of code - I use it for burning regularly though) but if it's useful to anyone, go for it.

Normally I use it in conjunction with VUPlayer (to check before burning, or convert to other formats eg a set of mp3 files) and Burrrn (to do the actual burning from the cue sheet).

See the provided help file, but it does assume that you've created a rendered file in wave or wavpack format which equates to what will be the CD, and that the matching project file with markers is set out like a CD starting at track one etc etc.

Code:
; http://www.stashbox.org/uploads/1151245762/ReaBurn%202.exe
; http://stashbox.org/uploads/1151245848/ReaBurn.txt
; AutoHotkey Version: 1.x
; Language:       English
; Platform:       Win9x/NT
; Author:         Art Evans 
;
; Script Function: Burn CDs from Reaper projects
; Reaburn Version 2 adds support for countdown indexes, fixes bug where double quotes are in the 
; marker name, and adds postgap support

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
;SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.

; ============= Get file names ========================

IndexFound := 0
MarkerFound := 0
FileSelectFile, NameOfRppFile, 3, , Select project file, Projects (*.rpp)
if NameOfRppFile =
	exitapp
else
	{Loop, Read,  %NameOfRppFile%
		{
		IfInString, A_LoopReadLine, Marker
			IfInString,A_LoopReadLine, *
				{
				IndexFound :=1
				}
			{
			IfInString, A_LoopReadLine, #
				{
				MarkerFound := 1
				}
			}

}
	}
If MarkerFound = 0
	{	
	MsgBox,16, , SORRY - THAT PROJECT FILE HAS NO MARKERS NAMED #
	exitapp
	}

FileSelectFile, NameOfWaveFile, 3, , Select rendered file, Wave or Wavpack (*.wav; *.wv)
if NameOfWaveFile =
	exitapp
else

SplitPath, NameOfWaveFile, , OutputDirectory,,OutputFile

CueSheet = %OutputDirectory%\%OutputFile%.cue

IfExist, %CueSheet%
{
	MsgBox, 308,, Overwrite this existing CueSheet? PRESS NO TO EXIT`n`nFILE: %CueSheet%
	IfMsgBox, No
		Exitapp
}

InputBox, ArtistName, Artist Name, Enter Artist Name, ,,,,,,,None
InputBox, CDTitle, CD Title, Enter CD Title, ,,,,,,,None

Pregap = 0
If IndexFound = 0
{
InputBox, Pregap, Gap between tracks, Gap in Seconds between tracks, ,,,,,,,0
}

If Pregap > 0
{
PregapMinutes := floor(Pregap / 60)
PregapSeconds := floor(Pregap - (PregapMinutes * 60))
SetFormat, float, 02.0
PregapSeconds += 0.1
PregapFrames := floor(((Pregap - (PregapMinutes * 60) - PregapSeconds)) * 75)

SetFormat, float, 02.0
PregapMinutes += 0.01
SetFormat, float, 02.0
PregapSeconds += 0.01
SetFormat, float, 02.0
PregapFrames += 0.01
}

;================ Write Cue Sheet Header ====================

FileDelete %CueSheet%
SplitPath, NameOfWaveFile, RelativeNameOfWaveFile, , ExtOfWaveFile

; MsgBox, You selected `n%ExtOfWaveFile%
If ExtOfWaveFile = wav
{
ExtOfWaveFile = WAVE
}

FileAppend,
(
REM Created by ReaBurn written by Art Evans
TITLE "%CDTitle%"
PERFORMER "%ArtistName%"
FILE "%RelativeNameOfWaveFile%" %ExtOfWaveFile%`n
), %CueSheet%

;=======================Write Cue Sheet data ==================

; example - MARKER 12 3518.304057 '#Hurlstone : "Sonata for Violin and Piano in D minor" - Allegro' 0

CueCount := 1.1
SetFormat, float, 02.0
CueCount += 0

IndexExists = 0

Loop, Read,  %NameOfRppFile%, %CueSheet%
{
	IfInString, A_LoopReadLine, Marker 
{

;-----------------------------------------------------
IfInString, A_LoopReadLine, * 
{

IndexExists = 1
StringGetPos, TimeStart, A_LoopReadLine, %A_Space%, L4
TimeStart += 2
StringGetPos, TimeEnd, A_LoopReadLine, %A_Space%, L5
TimeLength := TimeEnd - TimeStart +1
StringMid, TimeValue, A_LoopReadLine, %TimeStart%, %TimeLength%

IndexMinutes := floor(TimeValue / 60)
IndexSeconds := floor(TimeValue - (IndexMinutes * 60))
SetFormat, float, 02.0
IndexSeconds += 0.1
IndexFrames := floor(((TimeValue - (IndexMinutes * 60) - IndexSeconds)) * 75)

SetFormat, float, 02.0
IndexMinutes += 0.01
SetFormat, float, 02.0
IndexSeconds += 0.01
SetFormat, float, 02.0
IndexFrames += 0.01
}
;-----------------------------------------------------

IfInString, A_LoopReadLine, # 
{
StringGetPos, TextStart, A_LoopReadLine, #
TextStart += 2
;StringGetPos, TextEnd, A_LoopReadLine, ", L2
StringGetPos, TextEnd, A_LoopReadLine,%A_space%, r1
 TextLength := TextEnd  - TextStart
StringMid, TitleText, A_LoopReadLine, %TextStart%, %TextLength%

StringGetPos, TimeStart, A_LoopReadLine, %A_Space%, L4
TimeStart += 2
StringGetPos, TimeEnd, A_LoopReadLine, %A_Space%, L5
TimeLength := TimeEnd - TimeStart +1
StringMid, TimeValue, A_LoopReadLine, %TimeStart%, %TimeLength%

Minutes := floor(TimeValue / 60)
Seconds := floor(TimeValue - (Minutes * 60))
SetFormat, float, 02.0
Seconds += 0.1
Frames := floor(((TimeValue - (Minutes * 60) - Seconds)) * 75)

SetFormat, float, 02.0
Minutes += 0.01
SetFormat, float, 02.0
Seconds += 0.01
SetFormat, float, 02.0
Frames += 0.01

If CueCount = 1
{
FileAppend, 
	(
%A_space%%A_space%TRACK %CueCount% AUDIO
    TITLE "%TitleText%"
    PREGAP 00:02:00
    INDEX 01 %Minutes%:%Seconds%:%Frames%`n
	)
SetFormat, float, 02.0
CueCount +=1.1
IndexExists = 0
}
else
{
FileAppend, 
	(
%A_space%%A_space%TRACK %CueCount% AUDIO
    TITLE "%TitleText%" `n
	)
If Pregap > 0
{
FileAppend,
	(
%A_space%%A_space%%A_space%%A_space%PREGAP %PregapMinutes%:%PregapSeconds%:%PregapFrames%`n
	)
}
If IndexExists = 1
{
FileAppend,
	(
%A_space%%A_space%%A_space%%A_space%INDEX 00 %IndexMinutes%:%IndexSeconds%:%IndexFrames%`n
	)
IndexExists = 0
}
FileAppend,
	(
%A_space%%A_space%%A_space%%A_space%INDEX 01 %Minutes%:%Seconds%:%Frames%`n
	)

SetFormat, float, 02.0
CueCount +=1.1
}
}
}
}

;==================== Use cue sheet =======================

;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gui, Add, Checkbox, vMyCheckboxA, Insert markers into wave file as cues using CueListTool
Gui, Add, Checkbox, vMyCheckboxB, Edit cue sheet in CueListTool
Gui, Add, Checkbox, vMyCheckboxC, Play/convert cue sheet in VUPlayer
Gui, Add, Radio, vMyRadio, Burn CD with Burrrn
Gui, Add, Radio,, Burn CD with EAC
Gui, Add, Radio,, Burn CD with Nero
Gui, Add, Button, default xm, OK  ; xm puts it at the bottom left corner.
Gui, Show
return

ButtonOK:
GuiClose:
GuiEscape:
Gui, Submit  ; Save each control's contents to its associated variable.

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If MyCheckboxA = 1
{
IfExist %A_ProgramFiles%\CueListTool\cueltool.exe
{
RunWait %A_ProgramFiles%\CueListTool\cueltool.exe "%CueSheet%"  "%NameOfWaveFile%" -w -x
}
else
{
MsgBox,20, , To write cues to wave files you must have CueListTool (freeware) installed.`n Visit CueListTool site?
IfMsgBox, Yes
{
Run http://www.stefanbion.de/cueltool/index_e.htm
}
}
}

If MyCheckboxB = 1
{
IfExist %A_ProgramFiles%\CueListTool\cueltool.exe
{
RunWait %A_ProgramFiles%\CueListTool\cueltool.exe "%CueSheet%"  "%NameOfWaveFile%"
}
else
{
MsgBox,20, , To edit or play the cue sheet you must have CueListTool (freeware) installed.`n Visit CueListTool site?
IfMsgBox, Yes
{
Run http://www.stefanbion.de/cueltool/index_e.htm
}
}
}

If MyCheckboxC = 1
{
IfExist %A_ProgramFiles%\VUPlayer\vuplayer.exe
{
RunWait %A_ProgramFiles%\VUPlayer\vuplayer.exe "%CueSheet%"
}
else
{
MsgBox,20, , To play the cue sheet you must have VUPlayer (donationware) installed.`n Visit VUPlayer site?
IfMsgBox, Yes
{
Run http://www.vuplayer.com
}
}
}

;---------------------------------------------------------------------------
If MyRadio = 1
{
IfExist %A_ProgramFiles%\Burrrn\Burrrn.exe
{
Run %A_ProgramFiles%\Burrrn\Burrrn.exe "%CueSheet%"
}
else
{
MsgBox,20, , You do not have Burrrn (donation- or postcard-ware) installed.`n Visit Burrrn site?
IfMsgBox, Yes
{
Run http://www.burrrn.net/?page_id=4
}
}
}
exitapp
;----------------------------------------------------------------------
If MyRadio = 2
{
IfExist %A_ProgramFiles%\EAC\EAC.exe
{
Run %A_ProgramFiles%\EAC\EAC.exe "%CueSheet%"
}
else
{
MsgBox,20, , You do not have EAC (postcardware) installed.`n Visit EAC site?
IfMsgBox, Yes
{
Run http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
}
}
}
exitapp
;--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If MyRadio = 3
{
IfExist %A_ProgramFiles%\Ahead\Nero\nero.exe
{
Run %A_ProgramFiles%\Ahead\Nero\nero.exe "%CueSheet%"
MsgBox, 64, ,NERO IS STARTING - PLEASE WAIT....., 10
}
else
{
MsgBox,20, , You do not seem to have Nero installed.`n Visit Nero site?
IfMsgBox, Yes
{
Run http://www.nero.com/eng/index.html
}
}
}
exitapp

Last edited by Art Evans; 09-07-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #186
WyattRice

For some odd reason, CD text no longer works with DDP export. I even uninstalled Reaper 4.02, and went back to beta 9 when it was implemented, and it still doesn't work. I cant figure it out. It was working perfect when I posted here. http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=82
I'm not doing anything different than I did then.
Sergej, Is it still working for you?

Thanks, Wyatt

Edit: I figured it out. To get the track names to show as CD text, you must have a @ marker with a name, or space after the @ in order for track titles to show.

Last edited by WyattRice; 09-07-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #187
WyattRice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
The last version of Reaburn (2.5) that I released is at http://sites.google.com/site/insideaudioreaper/ - dunno what other versions are knocking about.

The code is as follows - I forget whether I have posted it before. It's for AutoHotKey. Frankly I've now forgotten how it works (in terms of code - I use it for burning regularly though) but if it's useful to anyone, go for it.

Normally I use it in conjunction with VUPlayer (to check before burning, or convert to other formats eg a set of mp3 files) and Burrrn (to do the actual burning from the cue sheet).

See the provided help file, but it does assume that you've created a rendered file in wave or wavpack format which equates to what will be the CD, and that the matching project file with markers is set out like a CD starting at track one etc etc.
Thanks for sharing that code Art. I wish there was a way to write a cue sheet from a RPP file that included ! markers as the countdown, or pause-postgap. I wish I knew how to modify the code, or a way to simply generate a cue sheet from the makers I already have in place.

Thanks again,
Wyatt

Last edited by WyattRice; 09-10-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:01 AM   #188
icemac

well i used the ddp feature this week the first time 'for real'.

i wonder if it is any use, if it does not have a player system also.
i can't send it to the plant with the risk of 50,000 disks going out with some unexpected error..

i had to check with sonoris in this case, which defeats the point

the other thing is i couldn't see a way to add an index 2?
have i missed something there?
icemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #189
kaaijmusic

you didn't miss a thing, it's still not possible to add an index 2, as far as I know. I would also like to see this feature implemented, once. Although i'm really happy with the Ddp feature in Reaper, (and also with Reaper itself of course) I still miss the md5 checksum and the pq-sheet printing or pdf, which can both be found in the Sonoris DDP creator. Therefore I still use that program when I have to send a DDP to the pressing plant. The good thing is, that Reaper has DDP support, anyway! Does anyone have some details from the development side of it? Is there any chance of having the Marker list feature implemented in a future Reaper version? Reaper still rules anyway!
All the best,
Rene
kaaijmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #190
WyattRice

The marker list and CD Text stuff is coming. Sergej has finished it and sent it to the devs. They haven't implemented it yet, as they are busy with other stuff. What is index 2?

This is from the help section located in the render dialog:
Code:
DDP is a Registered Trademark of DCA Inc., 1989-2008

DDP format is used to make exchangable files for CD Audio manufacturing.
The CD Audio format is 44100Hz, 16-bit, stereo. Please set this format, otherwise the export will be cancelled.

DDP format consists of many files, which must all be sent to the CD manufacturing plant.

IMPORTANT: CD-TEXT values are recognized, but actual CD-TEXT output is not yet implemented!

In order to create standard CD's, Red Book specification limitations are included:
- at least one track is automaticaly created
- INDEX0 is required only for the first track, and set to 0 seconds
- first track's INDEX1 position is limited to at least 2 seconds,
  please consider this, to make at least 2 seconds of silence in the beginning,
  otherwise the audio content will be ignored
- minimum track length (distance of the next track's INDEX0/INDEX1 
  to the previous INDEX1) is set to 4 seconds, please consider this,
  otherwise the INDEX0 and 1 are automatically moved in the next track's audio.
- INDEX1 is set to be at least 1 frame after INDEX0, if INDEX0 is defined
- the audio length is padded with silence to be frame aligned (1 frame = 1/75 second)

------------------------------------------------

Album and track metadata is set by the format of marker names:
- markers starting with "@" character represent album metadata
- markers starting with "!" character represent INDEX0 position for the following "#" track
- markers starting with "#" character represent track metadata and INDEX1 position

If there is more than one @ marker, each one overwrites the previous one's defined values.
If there are more ! markers in one track, only the last one before # is used
The number of # markers represent the number of CD tracks.
The position of @ marker(s) can be anywhere, the most readable position is at the end of the album.

If the audio data is too short, only the (! and #) markers before the end of audio + 10 seconds are used.
The audio is padded with silence until the last used marker (and aligned to 1/75 second).

The metadata is in "KEY1=VALUE1|KEY2=VALUE2|KEY3=VALUE3" format. There can be any number of 
KEY=VALUE pairs. KEYs are case insensitive.

@ markers recognize this keys:
- "CATALOG", "EAN" or "UPC" for the same EAN/UPC number, which is included in the CD
- "ALBUM", "TITLE" or without a key for album's title
- "PERFORMER"
- "SONGWRITER"
- "COMPOSER"
- "ARRANGER"
- "MESSAGE"
- "IDENTIFICATION"
- "GENRE" - write any text or use one of the predefined genres in the list at the bottom of this text.
- "LANGUAGE" - use one of the names from the list at the bottom of this text. 

# markers recognize this keys:
- "ISRC" number for audio track
- "TITLE" or without a key for track's title
- "PERFORMER"
- "SONGWRITER"
- "COMPOSER"
- "ARRANGER"
- "MESSAGE"

! markers ignore any metadata, only the position is used.

CD-TEXT will be exported only, if any of the CD-TEXT keys is specified.
Every key except the "CATALOG", "EAN", "UPC" and "ISRC" is a CD-TEXT key.

MARKERS EXAMPLE:
1. "#Intro|ISRC=012345678901"
2. "#Second track|ISRC=012345678902"
3. "!"
4. "#TITLE=Third track|ISRC=012345678903"
5. "!"
6. "#Last track"
7. "@My first album|PERFORMER=A good band|EAN=0123456789012|GENRE=Pop|LANGUAGE=English"
All the test I've done so far, is been right on. We really do need the marker list editor, and a way to print the PQ list.

!Named defines the 0 index and # named defines index 1 markers. What am I missing when you say index 2?

Last edited by WyattRice; 11-04-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #191
Nick Morris

good to hear!
Old 11-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #192
icemac

i just used a free md5 creator i have, so i was able to use the reaper DDP for the master, but only because i checked it in sonoris.

one of the masters needed the index 2, but wasn't crucial so i went without it.
index 2 (and thereafter) are sub divisions of a 'track'. to me this is important when not changing total track count is vital, but want navigation etc of another id

another thing that is vital, and i couldn't find was snap to grid of cd frames. this is essential for placing indexs, as they will not end up exactly where markers were placed. i often have a lot of continuous audio which is when this matters.
icemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #193
WyattRice

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemac View Post
i just used a free md5 creator i have, so i was able to use the reaper DDP for the master, but only because i checked it in sonoris.

one of the masters needed the index 2, but wasn't crucial so i went without it.
index 2 (and thereafter) are sub divisions of a 'track'. to me this is important when not changing total track count is vital, but want navigation etc of another id

another thing that is vital, and i couldn't find was snap to grid of cd frames. this is essential for placing indexs, as they will not end up exactly where markers were placed. i often have a lot of continuous audio which is when this matters.
When you say index 2, do you mean sub index?

I had made a request for CD Frame snapping, but no one seemed to be interested. See this thread. http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=81987
Maybe one day it will happen. There's other stuff that the devs are focused on right now.

When they do get to it, I hope they will consider a whole new set of CD markers that include track start, sub index, and pause markers, and the ability to have a frame grid.

Meanwhile, I created a python script (thanks to gofer) that will insert a track marker at the edit cursor, and snap to the nearest CD frame. Download

If your using a Windows computer, you must have Python installed. If you using Mac, it should work already. Here's the link for Python.

http://python.org/

To use the script:
Goto the actions menu >show actions list.

Where it reads Reascript, click on the new/load tab, and load the script.
Hope this helps.
Regards, Wyatt

Last edited by WyattRice; 02-07-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #194
Kawabatnam

No news on this front? As far as I know CD isn't dead yet, so DDP tools are still quite relevant. Even if not used by many of us, this feature would seriously shake some ground under those big dollars players such as Sadie, Pyramix, Sequoia, Wavelab... and bring some deserved attention from professionals to Reaper.
Kawabatnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #195
pattste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawabatnam View Post
No news on this front? As far as I know CD isn't dead yet, so DDP tools are still quite relevant. Even if not used by many of us, this feature would seriously shake some ground under those big dollars players such as Sadie, Pyramix, Sequoia, Wavelab... and bring some deserved attention from professionals to Reaper.
This thread was started when the DDP export was still under development. It is there and functional in the current version. If you look at the Render dialog, DDP is one of the options in the Output format combobox. When you choose DDP, there is a small panel that appears with a button whose caption is a question mark. Press the button to reveal the (more than basic) instructions. The User Guide does not mention the feature at all and as far as I know there is no other documentation. In my opinion, for this feature to be usable, we need some sort of user interface or wizard to guide us. We also need a way to test the resulting file.

I believe this functionality was contributed by a Reaper user. He deserves major kudos for his work. Like many things in Reaper however, it comes short from realizing its full potential. Cockos need to give this feature some attention to make it a bit more user-friendly.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:10 AM   #196
The Byre

There is a gap in the market for mastering to DDP. All computers now, well, nearly all, come with a fully featured CD burner with all the bells and whistles, such as text, gaps, ISRC etc.

Even Soundforge with bundled CD Architect (which must be Sony's idea of a joke!) does not have DDP.

My simple idea - make premium content like a proper mastering and DDP authoring interface subject to the version of Reaper being registered and paid for!
The Byre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #197
pattste

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
My simple idea - make premium content like a proper mastering and DDP authoring interface subject to the version of Reaper being registered and paid for!
My understanding is that the philosophy behind the Cockos business model is that there's only one version of Reaper. I doubt that they would entertain the idea of having a Premium version or a registered version with more features. I think they would make a lot more money if registering Reaper carried a bigger incentive than "peace of mind" but Justin has a track record of financially successful business ventures and I don't so what do I know.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #198
beingmf

Hm, strange error report I got this afternoon. I had checked the DDP in Sonoris, and no problems were found.
The pressing plant sent me the following alert generated by Gear Pro:

What could have gone wrong?

EDIT: the PQ sheet of Sonoris would show 2 Pregap index markers for track 1 – is this correct?

If this is a fault, how to get rid of the wrong index?? Thanks everyone!

Last edited by beingmf; 02-08-2012 at 05:47 PM.
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #199
WyattRice

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Hm, strange error report I got this afternoon. I had checked the DDP in Sonoris, and no problems were found.
The pressing plant sent me the following alert generated by Gear Pro:

What could have gone wrong?

EDIT: the PQ sheet of Sonoris would show 2 Pregap index markers for track 1 – is this correct?

If this is a fault, how to get rid of the wrong index?? Thanks everyone!
I'd be curious to have a look at your RPP file. Could you post it?

I don't think you should have 2 pre-gaps for track one

here's a pic for a regular cd.

Last edited by WyattRice; 02-08-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:25 AM   #200
beingmf

Thanks for looking, Wyatt! Here's 2 RPP's, "1" is an old version without the "marker script" applied, and "2" is the version I uploaded to the pressing plant.

EDIT: and btw. I edited the DDP with the trial version of Sonoris and deleted the second Index0. I've uploaded last night, and it seems to have worked (I guess they'd have sent another email soon).
Attached Files
File Type: rpp DDP project 1.RPP (19.1 KB, 229 views)
File Type: rpp DDP project 2.RPP (19.3 KB, 233 views)
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote